GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lemon / Poor Lexus Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-05, 12:19 PM
nyc11370
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon? Poor Lexus Service?

I bought the 05 GX 3 months ago

First Problem – Windshield creaking noise

Within the first week, I heard creaking noises came from the windshield around the rearview mirror area. It is especially noticeable during nighttime driving because outside is quiet. Some days I hear the noise but some days I don’t, so the problem is on and off. It is very annoying because the car is new and it’s not cheap.

The 1st time I took the car in I cannot duplicate the problem so I took the car home without fixing it.

The 2nd time I took the car in, I was able to duplicate the problem to the “road test technician”, but he disagreed the source of noise, he said it is from the dash not the mirror. Anyway I didn’t argue because he is the professional dealing with the cars everyday. I schedule the appointment w/ loaner car for the next week.

First Attempted Fix

A week later I took the car to the dealer as scheduled even I did not notice the noise that day.

I picked up the car a week later. I started to notice the windshield creaking noise again the next day. Also, I found the same mileage on the odometer, so very obviously the “hands-on” tech did not test drive before and after. Further more I found out very likely the “hands-on” tech did not talk to the “road test” tech because the service advisor told me the “road test” tech was on vacation when I took it back.

Second Problem – Messed up interior trims

I notice the interior trims are messed up due to the 1st attempted fix. Originally I told the “road test” tech the noise is from the windshield mirror but he thought it is from the dash. So the “hands-on” tech removed the dash trims and put insulator to ease the noise. Obviously, the hands-on tech fixed the wrong place and he did not test drive before and after. Furthermore, he left screwdriver marks on the edge of the plastic trims, scratch on the window buttons console, the front wood trim don’t level with the surface, big gaps betweens panels and I can see the insulator tape sticks outside of the gaps. I will post some pics. I complained to the SA and he said he will have the leather guy to check out the next time. So I made another appointment for the noise and interior problem.

Third Problem - Passenger side rear door upper hinge/joint welding peel

I didn’t take the car in for the 2nd appointment (yesterday) because I didn’t hear the noise for the last few days before the appointment. I was hoping the noise problem disappeared and I don’t want to fix the interior because I know the tech will do more damage (use screwdriver to pile the wood trim again).

Unfortunately I heard the noise again last night and I found another problem when washing the car. The passenger side rear door between the upper hinge/joint and the chassis, the welding is peeling off so only two screws are holding the upper hinge from the chassis. This is dangerous, if the upper hinge may break apart from the chassis, the door may come off.

So finally I took it back to dealer today, hopefully they can fix all three problems.

I think I am the only unlucky one GX owner. Can anyone here share the Lemon (Law) experience?

Last edited by nyc11370; 05-06-05 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-06-05, 01:09 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When I had the trip computer replaced, before work was started, I had the Service Advisor check the dash area to see that there were no scratches or dings anywhere. The remove and replace was neat and clean. Unfortunately, the MPG calculator wasn't any more accurate but the faulty outside temperature reading was corrected.
Old 05-06-05, 01:51 PM
98Nav400
Driver

I had a lemon law repurchase last year on a VW Touareg, You have to check with your State to see your specific law but I think in most states should Lexus disagree with returning the car and force an arbitration hearing you will have a hard time claiming a "lemon" for an intermittent interior creaking noise. I haven't heard of this problem before, hopefully its something they will be able to fix without too much further trouble.
Old 05-06-05, 05:07 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Well you do have working brakes!

I had a Honda as a LEMON once. A BIG FAT UGLY LEMON! Ugh. It just brings back nightmares of the miserable tin can. UGH. I will never look at a honda (or acura) with any respect EVER AGAIN in my life. UGH!!!!!

But, I love my GX and have had no problems with mine. SO I bought another Lexus. This will be going on 6 Lexuses now and ZERO PROBLEMS with any. Geez, you just got a bad apple. I hope everyhintg works out.

If your dealer isn't great, go elsewhere if you can. Otherwise, call Leuxs corporate and speak to someone high up and for all you know, if you play your cards right, you might just get the problem fixed or a whole new car (pushing it... but hey).

Not to make your problem seem not that bad or corporate "Well you do still have seatbelts don't you?"

HONDA SUCKS!!!!!!!!
I LOVE LEXUS..........

PEACE
Old 05-07-05, 05:29 AM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The door hinge you talk about should not be welded at all. These are bolt on parts (2 bolts per hinge). You may be see a sealant that is sometimes applied between the parts coming off. If the bolts are tight and the door closes without hitting any of the body around it, I don't think you have any worry about it falling off.

As far as the rattle......I had a rattle from the sun roof. It took 3 times to get it fixed right. After the second attempt, I told the follow-up satisfaction survey call the issue wasn't being handle very good. They ordered a lot of new parts and took care of it.
Old 05-07-05, 09:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Keep in mind the techs can destroy your GX, I've worked in dealerships and I still get chills when I go back, if they mess any trim peaces up have them replace them
Old 05-09-05, 07:22 AM
nyc11370
Rookie

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Keep in mind the techs can destroy your GX, I've worked in dealerships and I still get chills when I go back, if they mess any trim peaces up have them replace them
I totally agree with you. Taking the trims off usually do more damage than good. I would have ignored it if the creaking noise issue is minor. Unfortunately it is loud sometimes and it is very annoying because the car is brand new.

This is not the quality I expected from a Lexus. I can get the V8 4Runner w/ Nav for $35k, I paid the premium for the quality and service.

You can guess the dealer by checking my screen name
Old 05-09-05, 07:45 AM
nyc11370
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kbach
The door hinge you talk about should not be welded at all. These are bolt on parts (2 bolts per hinge). You may be see a sealant that is sometimes applied between the parts coming off. If the bolts are tight and the door closes without hitting any of the body around it, I don't think you have any worry about it falling off.

As far as the rattle......I had a rattle from the sun roof. It took 3 times to get it fixed right. After the second attempt, I told the follow-up satisfaction survey call the issue wasn't being handle very good. They ordered a lot of new parts and took care of it.
The hinge is bending forward and I can see the gap between the hinge and body. Also, the rear door front part is hitting the front door edge and I can see scratch marks, furthermore, paint is coming off the front door lower plastic panel top corner.
Old 05-09-05, 08:27 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nyc11370
The hinge is bending forward and I can see the gap between the hinge and body. Also, the rear door front part is hitting the front door edge and I can see scratch marks, furthermore, paint is coming off the front door lower plastic panel top corner.
That's disconcerting; it strikes me that something may have happened to damage the vehicle, thus disqualifying it as "new". Have you thought about taking pictures of the conditions you have described and sending them the Lexus?
Old 05-09-05, 04:04 PM
GS3Tek

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
That's disconcerting; it strikes me that something may have happened to damage the vehicle, thus disqualifying it as "new". Have you thought about taking pictures of the conditions you have described and sending them the Lexus?
If this was my GX and the dealer still haven't fixed the problem, I would take a video camera/tape recorder and leave it on until it records the creak.
Does the creak have to do with abrupt temperature change, creak when turning, over speed bumps, or other maneuvers that will cause the body to flex? Is that even possible? I'm just thinking out loud here.
Regarding the hinge, take pictures of that and send to Lexus HQ like leslierc mentioned.

Good luck.

And btw, what makes you think downgrading (no offense) to a 4runner will be better?
Just keep complaining up the ladder, courteously and professionally.
It does suck when service is crappy at one dealership because they are individually maintained.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 05-09-05 at 04:07 PM.