GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

tilt down mirror problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 09:17 AM
MarcP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tilt down mirror problem

Anyone experiencing any problems with the reverse tilt down mirrors? My GX is only 5 months old and the drivers side mirror sometimes does not return completely after tilting down in reverse. If I press the memory button it goes right to where it should be. It also works fine manually. Any ideas?
Old 05-23-05, 07:18 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MarcP
Anyone experiencing any problems with the reverse tilt down mirrors? My GX is only 5 months old and the drivers side mirror sometimes does not return completely after tilting down in reverse. If I press the memory button it goes right to where it should be. It also works fine manually. Any ideas?
you sure that it's already "in the set position" ? because the left side doesn't tilt down as much as the right one. if that's not it, well i never heard of this yet.

at first, i thought u were going to ask "How do I turn on the reverse tilt?" lol
Old 05-23-05, 10:52 PM
Donger
Driver

There is another post on that topic. At least one other person, including myself (my 05 is only 3 months old) are experiencing the problem. Doesn't happen all the time, but a pain in the butt as you don't notice that it didn't return until you first get into traffic and go to check your mirrors and are looking at the running boards.

Seems to always effect just the drivers side.

I think one guy had his mirror replaced, but it didn't help. Who knows, maybe it is the color, mine is exactly the same in/out as yours - so that must be it
Old 05-24-05, 06:56 AM
MarcP
Driver

Originally Posted by Donger
There is another post on that topic. At least one other person, including myself (my 05 is only 3 months old) are experiencing the problem. Doesn't happen all the time, but a pain in the butt as you don't notice that it didn't return until you first get into traffic and go to check your mirrors and are looking at the running boards.

Seems to always effect just the drivers side.

I think one guy had his mirror replaced, but it didn't help. Who knows, maybe it is the color, mine is exactly the same in/out as yours - so that must be it
I'm so happy (not because you're having a problem) that you responded - this is exactly what mine is doing - driver's side only and you really don't notice it until you're already on your way. It doesn't happen all of the time on mine - but if you run it through several Reverse-Drive-Reverse-Drive cycles it will usually start to not come back all of the way - I've even seen it "stutter" on the way back when it is happening. Once it happens, if I manually run the mirror all around to its limits it seems to work normally again (for a while at least).

It seems that with any problem I'm having I can pretty much count on someone else here experiencing the same thing. I'm glad you mentioned someone already replaced the mirror and it didn't help - this will save me having my door torn apart for no reason - I'm pretty dissappointed in the way Lexus troubleshoots - they seem to just start replacing parts and don't really look for the cause of the problem. I'm having another issue with the indicator LED's on the climate control panel (below the nav screen) that flicker only when the solar sensor comes on (dimming circuit) and the vehicle is moving (weird) and I'm sure this is happening on other GX's - all Lexus wants to do is tear the dash apart to replace the climate panel - which I'm pretty sure is not going to solve the problem.

Anyway - thanks for the input and let me know if you find or hear of a solution. Maybe the Silver/Gray combo's just want to be "special"
Old 05-24-05, 07:28 AM
RAINMN60
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue. Actually, Lexus replaced my passenger side mirror last Fall because it continually failed to return to the same position. Over the past few months, I noticed that my driver side mirror is doing the same thing. Although that mirror doesn't move as much as the passenger side, it moves enough to the point where it has to be manually adjusted after a few days. On occasion, the passenger side mirror still gives me problems however, it's not as bad as it was originally.

My car goes in for its 10000 mile service in a couple of weeks -- I plan on addressing the issue.

I have had other issues and have been extremely disappointed in the way Lexus troubleshoots problems. I've had my car in, more than once, for the same issue until the problem gets resolved. They don't seem to want to listen to you. It's very annoying!

My Lexus is a 2004 "G" build.
Old 05-24-05, 12:27 PM
sickman
Driver School Candidate

I also seem to be having this problem on driver's side mirror lately. Mine is a '04 Black/gray model purchased in Oct '04, also 'G' Build, and only recently have been having this problem after using the mirror tilt-in feature several weeks ago. It was fine until I tilted it in that one time - could that have anything to do with this problem?
Old 05-24-05, 10:29 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by RAINMN60
My Lexus is a 2004 "G" build.
What is a "G" build? I have never heard of that before.

But is looks like we all have the same issue going on. I was planning on addressing it at my 5,000 mile service which is a ways off, so I hope Lexus figures it out (and someone shares with the forum).
Old 05-25-05, 03:56 AM
ferix
Rookie

i have a similar problem on my 04 RX, however the problem is that the mirrors do not tilt down at times.. ive noticed this especially the next day after it rains, maybe this could be a reason?
Old 05-30-05, 08:59 PM
T_standard
Driver School Candidate

say.. is it normal for the mirror to not know its tilting down too far? sometimes the mirror just doesnt stop trying to go down and makes clicking noises cause it cant go down any farther, but only when i already had the mirror tilted down a bit more than usual. anybody else have that problem?