GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Stone Chip = Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 07:50 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone Chip = Cracked Windshield

I had a stone hit the left side of the windshield by the a-pillar about a month ago. I had a teenie crack that didn't seem to get any worse. Starting last week, the cracked traveled a few inches a day until it stretched halfway across the windshield. I call my insurance company and told them I wanted a Lexus windshield, since it has the necessary things needed for the rain-sensing wipers. Not a prob according to the insurance. Guess what the final replacement bill was?? $1,200!! The windshield alone was $698. Another $300 worth of trim and gaskets. Labor was a mere $200. Ouch!!! I'm glad our agent talked me into a 0$ deductable comp. His main reason was for a windshield replacement.
Old 06-24-05, 12:03 PM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steevr
I had a stone hit the left side of the windshield by the a-pillar about a month ago. I had a teenie crack that didn't seem to get any worse. Starting last week, the cracked traveled a few inches a day until it stretched halfway across the windshield. I call my insurance company and told them I wanted a Lexus windshield, since it has the necessary things needed for the rain-sensing wipers. Not a prob according to the insurance. Guess what the final replacement bill was?? $1,200!! The windshield alone was $698. Another $300 worth of trim and gaskets. Labor was a mere $200. Ouch!!! I'm glad our agent talked me into a 0$ deductable comp. His main reason was for a windshield replacement.
WOW! that is one place where you really have to spend the $$ too! if you cheap out, it will never be right. we caught a rock in the windshield last summer (very low on the bottom driverside). they sell these windshield repair kits at the auto parts stores for about $5. figured we'd give it a try first (before we have the windshield replaced). so far so good, but i keep my fingers crossed. really glad to know i have full glass too!!
Old 06-25-05, 05:13 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Glass America

Just replaced my windshield also. Cracked from the top edge down. Lexus told me it was an all day job. On other cars I have used Glass America, insurance pays them direct so no money out of my pocket (windshield replacement coverage) and they come to your house or work and it takes about 1 hour. They asked ahead of time if I had the sensors and then brought the proper one with all the mounts required and moved all the stickers over. :

I usually replace a windshield a year due to commuting on I95.
Old 06-29-05, 10:55 AM
HoleinOne
Rookie

Think there is a inherent defect with the windshield. Ours got a small crack without being hit by anything - my wife rearly drives it on the freeway for it to be seriously damaged by road debris. The crack grew from about 1" to 6" in 3 - 4 days. We took it to the dealer and they replaced under warranty. The service rep hinted that he has seen it happen before.
Old 09-01-16, 11:13 AM
drcwks
Driver School Candidate

Default GX 460 winshield sensors / antennas

Originally Posted by gzorn
Just replaced my windshield also. Cracked from the top edge down. Lexus told me it was an all day job. On other cars I have used Glass America, insurance pays them direct so no money out of my pocket (windshield replacement coverage) and they come to your house or work and it takes about 1 hour. They asked ahead of time if I had the sensors and then brought the proper one with all the mounts required and moved all the stickers over. :

I usually replace a windshield a year due to commuting on I95.
HI... Could you tell me if you had to replace (2) sensors/antennas on the Passenger side? If so... if you have the part number for both I could sure use that information since my local Lexus Dealership only says there is (1).
Thanks in advance. here's the link to my post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post9601503
Old 09-01-16, 03:30 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 145 Posts

I had my 09 windshield replaced, the Only thing they had to do was replace the sticky pad for the rain sensor.
Old 09-04-16, 01:03 PM
CebuGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago on my '09 with a genuine Lexus windshield only because previous chip repair got worse. The glass shop did an excellent job and zero deductible through my insurance. Both sensors working fine.
Old 09-06-16, 09:42 AM
kwkshift
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an note for those that may need to replace their windshield in the future, make sure the glass tech removes the A-Pillar covers so that the windshield glue doesn't ooze onto the fabric of the covers. This happened to me and removing the covers required careful cutting of the fabric with a razor blade. Then, we had to stretch and reglue the fabric to make it look nice, again. Luckily, there was just enough fabric and it had just enough stretch to it to work.

The removal is very easy. It's just 2 10mm bolts on each of the grab handles on the A-Pillars. It takes a whole minute to remove and reinstall.