GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

VERIZON Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 07:20 PM
kaloisa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERIZON Bluetooth

Hi - I have Verizon and can't swith carriers due to work. I have a new GX470 and have read countless complaints regarding the bluetooth disableing that Verizon has done to the 1 flip phone they make - motorolla v70 (something like that). Does anyone have this phone? And if so, do you think it is worth the money and aggravation? I understand that you can get an after market chip - or something like that to enable the features of the phone to integrate with the Nav system phone. Has anyone done that and if so had any good success? I understand that Verizon is coming out with another phone soon, not too sure when though, so I think I am going to hold out another month or so to see if things get any better.

it seems like a lot of wasted money for something that should work right in the first place. The main thing I want to do is get the phonebook in my cell to work with the Nav system. I don't really need the data transfer capability.

Thanks and I really appreciate some good detailed feedback.
Old 07-02-05, 08:00 AM
micnic
Driver School Candidate

Hey. I just got a new GX 470 this week. I bought the Verizon V710 because it is the only bluetooth phone that verizon carries. The phone seems to work well with the bluetooth in my car. As for the phone book, I had my sales person load my contacts into my car's phone book. He took his cingular phone and transfered my cell contacts into his phone and then downloaded my phonebook to my car. It sounds like alot of work, but it only took about 30 minutes to do.

When I first started to research the bluetooth phone, I found that Verizon is not sure when the next bluetooth phone is going to come out. So I took the risk, but I am glad I did. I love the way my bluetooth works. One thing to note, sometimes when you get in your car with your phone, you have to go through the steps to make your phone work with the car. The sales person said this is normal (no matter what carrier you have). Anyway, I hope this helps.
Old 07-02-05, 02:28 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by micnic
One thing to note, sometimes when you get in your car with your phone, you have to go through the steps to make your phone work with the car. The sales person said this is normal (no matter what carrier you have).
Not normal for us. Moto V551, carrier Cingular. Connects as soon as the car starts (within 30 seconds), even if the phone is inside (about 25 feet and thru a wall).
Old 07-02-05, 09:07 PM
lhn5
Driver School Candidate

Default The NEXT verizon bluetooth phone

The nex verizon bluetooth phone actually came out 7 minutes ago on the east coast...2.53 on the west coast. It is the Motorola E815. It may have better software and compatiblity with Lexus althought the V710 did have a software upgrade recently. It also has a better camera, video, and much better battery life.

Question i had...since you can't dial a complete number while moving, but only use one touch numbers...what if you call an automated number that asks you to press 1 for customer service, 23 for billing, etc...does that work?
Old 07-02-05, 09:44 PM
Donger
Driver

I have AT&T (Cingular) and a Sony Ericsson T637. It worked perfect from day one. Takes about 10-15 seconds after turning the key to connect. Connects every time, doesn't loose the pairing.

As for the question on how to enter numbers,etc. with the 1-touch (like when you are listening to your voice mail and want to delete a message, etc.), I just pull the phone out of the holster and punch the button on the phone. Even though the voice is going through the bluetooth connection, the phone and keys still work normally. Just think of the Lexus bluetooth as an elaborate bluetooth headset.

If you have a series of numbers that you always need to enter and your phone supports the pause dialing function (most all do), it will also work with the 1-touch feature.

It is a great feature - I don't think I'll ever get another vehicle without something similar - now if they only had a bluetooth iPod connector (and the sound quality was there) - that would be cool.
Old 07-03-05, 03:37 AM
irv09
Driver School Candidate

I also purchased an '05 GX and have a V710 from Verizon. I will have to try the trick with another Bluetooth phone to get my phonebook over. The sound quality is fine; better than my Motorola BT headset. I wish there was a way to voice dial from the Nav system. I recently purchased the BT module for my '03 BMW 330i which has this capability. . . .
Old 07-03-05, 10:16 AM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default V710 caller-id display on lexus bluetooth?

Hi--does the caller-id of incoming calls show up on the lexus screen? The Verizon cdma compatibility chart says that caller-id is 'n/a' which according to their footnote means the lexus can't display it, but the lexus nav manual says it can. thanks.
Old 07-03-05, 11:13 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by lepoch
Hi--does the caller-id of incoming calls show up on the lexus screen? The Verizon cdma compatibility chart says that caller-id is 'n/a' which according to their footnote means the lexus can't display it, but the lexus nav manual says it can. thanks.
Not sure on your specific phone, but the Nav Screen will show caller ID. My Sony Ericsson does, but it usually takes about 2+ rings before it makes its way to the Nav screen and it seems to be hit or miss. I've waited on a few calls just to see if it would come up and it went to voice mail before the number actually made it to the screen. Others, the number pops right up. Maybe it works better for numbers stored in the phonebook, never actually tested that theory.
Old 07-03-05, 11:18 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donger
Not sure on your specific phone, but the Nav Screen will show caller ID. My Sony Ericsson does, but it usually takes about 2+ rings before it makes its way to the Nav screen and it seems to be hit or miss. I've waited on a few calls just to see if it would come up and it went to voice mail before the number actually made it to the screen. Others, the number pops right up. Maybe it works better for numbers stored in the phonebook, never actually tested that theory.

thanks--fyi, I tried a nokia 6230, it sent the caller id on the one test call I made to the nav screen. the nav screen also showed the roaming indicator but not the signal strength indicator.

Last edited by lepoch; 07-04-05 at 10:26 PM.