GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rough paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 07:59 AM
db6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rough paint?

Anyone experienced "rough paint" on their truck? I have an '05 Meridan Blue that I recently waxed for the first time. There are places on the hood and the back part of the roof that seemed rough. These areas don't look any different that the suroounding areas, but we you wax them you can feel the difference. Would this be a dealer issue? Is there a polishing done usually by the dealer to even out the paint or clear coat?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-05, 08:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by db6
Anyone experienced "rough paint" on their truck? I have an '05 Meridan Blue that I recently waxed for the first time. There are places on the hood and the back part of the roof that seemed rough. These areas don't look any different that the suroounding areas, but we you wax them you can feel the difference. Would this be a dealer issue? Is there a polishing done usually by the dealer to even out the paint or clear coat?

Thanks.
it is just dirty, nothing else (from paint protection, acid rains, etc). Dealer is not required to polish the car and to tell you the truth I would not want them to do it. It will wash off after few car washes, or you can take it to some car wash place for proper wash...

Noting wrong with actual paint or clear coat...
Old 08-04-05, 09:22 AM
db6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks, but it's not surface dirt

It is imbedded in the finish. Waxing would take off surface dirt, waxing did not take this off.
Old 08-04-05, 09:33 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by db6
It is imbedded in the finish. Waxing would take off surface dirt, waxing did not take this off.
You may want to use some clay on your paint. Even brand new cars have dirt, railroad dust, and other stuff embedded in the paint due to transportation. Clay usually makes your paint smooth as glass.

Mother's and Meguiar's make clay cleaning kits you can buy at your local AutoZone or PepBoys. I personally use Zaino (www.zainobros.com), but you have to buy that one online.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-05, 11:09 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by db6

Thanks.
How new is the car? I have found in the past (not specifically just Lexus) that the make-ready team doesn't always get the adhesive off from where the shipping plastic is on the hood and top. I needed to use a paint friendly cleaner with microfiber towel to get it all off.

Besides that, try claying as other post suggest. Final resort is to do a light buffing with a polish. But you need to know what you are doing, to not induce swirls and make it worse.

Finally, if you have faith in your dealer, just have them look at it.

As a test (this is the "do I need to clay or not" test), put your hand in a plastic sandwich bag (ziplock type) and you should be able to run your fingers over the painted surfaces without it dragging or catching.