GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Navigation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-05, 01:45 PM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Problem

I have a problem with the 05 NAV unit. The map will not display or the I agree screen nor will the button that displays the volume icon. The screen that comes up says "Please insert the correct disk" and has Japanese writing under it. The audio works fine. I popped out the DVD and put it back in. I disconnect the battery and still no luck. I called the dealer and he never heard of this before. I think I screwed it up when I tried the override NAV mode. Does anyone know how to reset the NAV unit?

I sure do not want to take it in for service.
Old 08-05-05, 07:06 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 89vette
I have a problem with the 05 NAV unit. The map will not display or the I agree screen nor will the button that displays the volume icon. The screen that comes up says "Please insert the correct disk" and has Japanese writing under it. The audio works fine. I popped out the DVD and put it back in. I disconnect the battery and still no luck. I called the dealer and he never heard of this before. I think I screwed it up when I tried the override NAV mode. Does anyone know how to reset the NAV unit?

how bout u put it back to what it was before. that is most likly the problem
Old 08-06-05, 06:15 AM
Traturn
Driver

"Please insert the correct disk" and has Japanese writing under it.
This sounds familiar, but on an RX330. We replaced the nav ECU (thing with the brains and DVD player)
Old 08-06-05, 06:34 AM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

I can't put it back because it is locked out of the NAV menus. I ran a diagnostic on the NAV and all it does is go blank, beep loudly and then the Please insert correct map disk comes right back up.
Old 08-06-05, 06:44 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... I think your car just doesn't like you now. I mean first you say you hate it (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171095) but then you expect it to love you back!

Cars are like girls ... What you did is like telling your wife you hate her but then you expect her to do your laundry... Not gonna happen.
Old 08-06-05, 07:26 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

89Vette,

Sorry, I feel you pain, I wish there was something I could do for you... Check this post out by member, JP82729 on 7/1/2005 in another thread:

Originally Posted by jp82729
I'm not sure how you came accross this information E55_POWER, but this screen was one of the diagnostic screens that are only supposed to be used by engineering and development side.

Now that the cat's out of the bag, though, I have to warn you guys that some of these functions can seriously mess up your nav. system (especially Loading, Error Log and Tel Voice) if you press the wrong buttons.
Here is the link to the original thread with JP's post #30, page #2:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...6&page=2&pp=15

Perhaps you can send him a private note/message, as he seems to know something maybe he's a Lexus Tech himself, or Lexus Service manager? Either way good luck, hope this get's resolved for you quickly. Let us know how it turns out?

Last edited by lonewolf69; 08-06-05 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-07-05, 05:39 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus, I'm sure, will cover it under warranty. It is highly unlikely the dealer has a method of troubleshooting this kind of extremely rare issue to determine it is the customers fault.

Lexus might know the difference but by the time they discover it, it will be months later and on some repair bench.

Take it back to the dealer, they'll replace whatever's necessary.
Old 08-07-05, 09:04 AM
loflin
Pole Position

This COULD be a random fault, BUT it sounds more like you were messing around in the service menu and you changed the Firmware load (i.e. boot code) to a JPN (Japanese) version. And of course you do NOT have a Japanese version of the DVD Nav disk for it to work with.

Now you can not get back to the Volume screen "easter egg" to get back to the service screen to change back to a US load.

This is why they say do NOT mess with this.

Most manufacturers instructions to the Service Dept state this is NOT covered by warranty (I know specifically that Benz calls out that in some case the Head unit will need to be replace AT THE CUSTOMERS expense).

I think you have two options. One is to plead insanity with your service rep and see if they can spot you one and fix it for you. But since you have already had a "very emotional scene" on the dealership floor about how much you "hate this car", I think your odds are low.

The other is to search for the alternate service mode invocation. I can't find it right now, but I believe there is one that involves holding Nav unit buttons (Like Info or Menu) down while at the same time switching back and forth between parking lights on and off, two or three times.

This is the method to try and get into service mode, when you can't get the software to to load (which prevents you from getting to the Volume screen).

Good luck.
Old 08-07-05, 04:01 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Insanity is definitely the best option. There's no way the dealer can prove you did it vs a software bug/glitch. As I said before, the manufacturer can prove it, but not the dealer and by the time they find out, you'll have your head unit installed. Also keep in mind these units I believe are developed by a 3rd party manufacturer even further insulating you from the truth.

Nobody from Lexus said "Don't mess with this" If they did, it would have been published. Since Lexus left the hole in the system for service techs to get in, they should be prepared to take care of it, even if it can be proven you pressed through the back door.
Old 08-07-05, 10:57 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by looknow12
Nobody from Lexus said "Don't mess with this" If they did, it would have been published. Since Lexus left the hole in the system for service techs to get in, they should be prepared to take care of it, even if it can be proven you pressed through the back door.
Hmm, he can try that route, but Lexus also doesn't tell you not to switch the positive and negative cables on the battery

I can only tell you, I did read the service bulletin for my MB and it says this concerning a COMAND unit (this is like the Audio/Video/Nav unit on Lexus) that is programmed wrong:

"Warning! Be advised that the repair is NOT covered under warranty and claims submitted for this issue will be debited according.

Mercedes-Benz USA ensures that all vehicles functioning and operating correctly and as specified on all systems prior to delivery.

Be advised that changing the settings on the COMAND head unit or any other component can only occur when a user deliberately and manually enters a certain number sequence or combination on the head unit and proceeds to alter specified settings for each model vehicle.

There are many sources of information that provide such unapproved methods to change parameters in the system. These sources are not affiliated nor supported in any method by MBUSA or any of its affiliates.

Please be aware that if the instructions below did not succeed to recover correct functionality and operation of the head unit, then the head MUST BE replaced.

Cost of work and replacement of the head unit will be charged to the customer."
Old 08-08-05, 03:34 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
Hmm, he can try that route, but Lexus also doesn't tell you not to switch the positive and negative cables on the battery

I can only tell you, I did read the service bulletin for my MB and it says this concerning a COMAND unit (this is like the Audio/Video/Nav unit on Lexus) that is programmed wrong:

"Warning! Be advised that the repair is NOT covered under warranty and claims submitted for this issue will be debited according.

Mercedes-Benz USA ensures that all vehicles functioning and operating correctly and as specified on all systems prior to delivery.

Be advised that changing the settings on the COMAND head unit or any other component can only occur when a user deliberately and manually enters a certain number sequence or combination on the head unit and proceeds to alter specified settings for each model vehicle.

There are many sources of information that provide such unapproved methods to change parameters in the system. These sources are not affiliated nor supported in any method by MBUSA or any of its affiliates.

Please be aware that if the instructions below did not succeed to recover correct functionality and operation of the head unit, then the head MUST BE replaced.

Cost of work and replacement of the head unit will be charged to the customer."
Swapping the polarity of the battery can easily be detected by a dealership. Pressing a few buttons in a software application might be a little tougher for the dealer to detect. Even if the unit logged the entrance of diagnostic mode, the dealers won't be able to get to that because the system is down, and if they could, were talking about a easy reset.

Regarding disclaimers, MB can put that statement out there, but as I said, trying to make it stick is another thing.
Old 08-08-05, 08:36 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus should be owning up to this... There should not be a way without the Lexus diagnostic computer to change any parameter of the load. This must be a "firmware' code problem on the CD-ROM load level or a hardware failure. This happens when untrained folks have access, and Lexus allowed access, to the firmware.
The firmware in a nutshell is the "CPU machine code software" that controls the hardware to the commands of the program software. It loads in the computer prior and with the software boot load. Firmware is on the Read Only chips in the computer and on the DVD CD-ROM load disk. Computer programmers can't react to all button sequences customers push, but they are responsible to prevent permanent damage. Lexus "owns and approved" the hardware, firmware and software on this unit. Lexus sold it this way. The customer's dollar should not be the test bed for questionable or immature programming.
Old 08-08-05, 09:53 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by looknow12
Swapping the polarity of the battery can easily be detected by a dealership.
Sorry looknow12, I was trying to be humorous through sarcasm, but I didn't do a good job.

I was replying to your point that they "did NOT tell him NOT to reload Japanese boot code", so it was Lexus's fault. I was saying they also do NOT tell you to reverse the battery polarity and potentially fry things, so that would also be Lexus's fault.

I was not referring to the "detectablity" of the problem.
Old 08-08-05, 10:02 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tammy
Lexus should be owning up to this... There should not be a way without the Lexus diagnostic computer to change any parameter of the load. This must be a "firmware' code problem on the CD-ROM load level or a hardware failure. This happens when untrained folks have access, and Lexus allowed access, to the firmware.
The firmware in a nutshell is the "CPU machine code software" that controls the hardware to the commands of the program software. It loads in the computer prior and with the software boot load. Firmware is on the Read Only chips in the computer and on the DVD CD-ROM load disk. Computer programmers can't react to all button sequences customers push, but they are responsible to prevent permanent damage. Lexus "owns and approved" the hardware, firmware and software on this unit. Lexus sold it this way. The customer's dollar should not be the test bed for questionable or immature programming.

Whoa, Tammy, certainly hit a sore point for you, huh. I really don't get your point AT ALL (but that's ok, you don't have to agree with me either).

IMHO, Lexus doesn't have to own up to anything. And by the way this EXACT same situation exists in almost all cars (hence my reason for typing in the whole Mercedes-Benz position), and it exists in MANY other electronic devices that run firmware or code.

In this case, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY, for someone to accidently do this. This requires a very detailed and specific, and long set of key sequences done in exactly the right sequence. This procedure is NOT documented for the Consumer. It is a service only mode. Where this IS documented (in the service literature) there are warnings. Just like there are warnings in the service lit about removing the master brake cylinder or the A/C compressor, etc. These warnings are NOT documented in the Customer manual, nor should they be.
Old 08-09-05, 06:42 AM
Quant
Driver School Candidate

While enabling the override on my GX, I touched the adjacent button by mistake. Had to press Map/Voice to get back. Subsequently, I purposely pressed all the other buttons; none had anything useful for me. The "Map/Voice" button always got me back, except for the "Tel "... button. I had to take the key out for the display to return to normal.

We could always take a car for test drive and "test" all the service buttons out.

Quick Reply: Navigation Problem