GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tire Rotation - best tires on front or rear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-05, 03:53 PM
bscottj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Rotation - best tires on front or rear?

I just received my GX back from its 40K service at Lexus. The invoice said they rotated the tires, but upon my inspection they didn't get rotated. I pointed to the fronts and mentioned slightly more wear on the outer corners of the front tires versus the rears, and I compared before service and after, and the tires did not get rotated.

They said it was intentional to not rotate the tires (but forgot to write it down). The reason was a new guy didn't write it down. Also, they mentioned that for a GX the best tires should be on the rear, unlike a FWD vehicle where the best tires should be on the front.

This sounds silly to me. I have brand new tires on the truck and I noticed the little nubs (left over from the tire mould of brand new tires) have slightly more wear on the front tires than on the rears. I attribute this to the truck leaning a bit when turning corners. So I want the tires rotated to promote even wear.

Have you ever heard of anything such as the best tires should be on the rear for a GX?

BTW I have an appointment with Lexus on Sunday to have the tires rotated.
Old 08-05-05, 04:46 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bscottj
I just received my GX back from its 40K service at Lexus. The invoice said they rotated the tires, but upon my inspection they didn't get rotated. I pointed to the fronts and mentioned slightly more wear on the outer corners of the front tires versus the rears, and I compared before service and after, and the tires did not get rotated.

They said it was intentional to not rotate the tires (but forgot to write it down). The reason was a new guy didn't write it down. Also, they mentioned that for a GX the best tires should be on the rear, unlike a FWD vehicle where the best tires should be on the front.

This sounds silly to me. I have brand new tires on the truck and I noticed the little nubs (left over from the tire mould of brand new tires) have slightly more wear on the front tires than on the rears. I attribute this to the truck leaning a bit when turning corners. So I want the tires rotated to promote even wear.

Have you ever heard of anything such as the best tires should be on the rear for a GX?

That's absolute crap. Whether you stick to the manual and rotate every 5k or you do it every 10k is debatable. However, leaving the "best" tires in the rear permanently will make the front tires wear down much faster (relative to the rear ones) and makes no sense, IMHO.

It is true that you want good tires in the back of the GX for traction, but you need good tires in front for steering. The only way to ensure this is through regular rotations.

I wonder: how hard is it for the dealer to just say "sorry, we forgot" instead of making up all these stories that make no sense.

Glad they're taking care of it for you, and I'm impressed that they open Sundays!
Old 08-05-05, 07:07 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bscottj

best tires always go in front no matter what car. they blew hot air up ur ash
Old 08-06-05, 06:45 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out this link for advice with pictures...http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43
Old 08-06-05, 10:43 PM
lsy
Driver School Candidate

Around a year ago Motor Trend had an article about where a new set of tires should be. This story was done with Michelin tire techs, and their advice was to keep the new tires in the rear. It was found that keeping the newer set of tires in back gave you better control in wet and dry situations. ie the rear end of the car would not break loose unexpectedly. Here is the link

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...res/index.html

Very intresting story, because I always thought the best tires should be in the front.

But with the GX's stability control, should you put the best tires in the front?