GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Oil Change at Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 04:28 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change at Dealer

Just got the GX back from some warranty work and had an oil & filter change. When I got home, I took a good look at the paperwork and noticed they charged me for 8 qts of oil. I dug out the owners manual and it states that the GX takes 6.5 qts with a filter change. So I can see them charging me for 7 full qts, but 8?? Has anyone else ever noticed 8 qts on their receipt?

Imagine if they charge every oil change customer for that imaginary extra qt.

I'm going to call them and ask for an explanation. I give a hoot about the $1.87....it's just the principle.
Old 08-23-05, 04:43 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by steevr
Just got the GX back from some warranty work and had an oil & filter change. When I got home, I took a good look at the paperwork and noticed they charged me for 8 qts of oil. I dug out the owners manual and it states that the GX takes 6.5 qts with a filter change. So I can see them charging me for 7 full qts, but 8?? Has anyone else ever noticed 8 qts on their receipt?

Imagine if they charge every oil change customer for that imaginary extra qt.

I'm going to call them and ask for an explanation. I give a hoot about the $1.87....it's just the principle.
Funny you mention that. I noticed that on my 5k invoice. At the time my only concern was with overfilling (since the service was free), but I checked the dipstick and it wasn't too far above full.

I just had my 10k done and brought 7 qts of Mobil 1, so there was no mention of oil on the paperwork.

As a side note, the foreman at my dealer's shop, who is really sharp and very helpful, tells me that he's seen GXs get to the full mark with anything between 6.5 and 7.2 qts. I wonder if your dealer did put more than 7 and "conveniently" rounded up to 8. Of course, that is still wrong, and you should ask them. I'm an engineer, so this lack of precision gets to me too!
Old 08-24-05, 05:13 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bring my own Mobil 1 oil in to the dealer for my oil changes, the first time I brought in 7 quarts and asked to get the 1/2 quart back for "toping off" later and to just make sure they use the oil I brought in. When I picked it up they said it actually uses about 7.5, so the next time I brought in 8. When I picked it up they gave me 1/2 quart back so I guess it does use about 7.5 quarts, even though the owners manual says 6.5. The dip stick is right on full each time.
Old 08-24-05, 02:40 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And than there were ... 8

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I bring my own Mobil 1 oil in to the dealer for my oil changes, the first time I brought in 7 quarts and asked to get the 1/2 quart back for "toping off" later and to just make sure they use the oil I brought in. When I picked it up they said it actually uses about 7.5, so the next time I brought in 8. When I picked it up they gave me 1/2 quart back so I guess it does use about 7.5 quarts, even though the owners manual says 6.5. The dip stick is right on full each time.

I am not sure if theyt meant the pan/block capacity is 6.5 quarts. If that is the case, than you need to add 1 quart for the Oil Filter capacity on top of the pan/block capacity. The extra quart is needed after running the oil through the system, in which it leaves an amount in the filter.
Old 08-25-05, 05:10 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I am not sure if theyt meant the pan/block capacity is 6.5 quarts. If that is the case, than you need to add 1 quart for the Oil Filter capacity on top of the pan/block capacity. The extra quart is needed after running the oil through the system, in which it leaves an amount in the filter.
Thanks for the information! One quart sounds like a lot for the filter, how big is it? Must be huge!
Old 08-25-05, 08:38 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

My dealer has a standard $29 oil/service that includes 5 quarts of oil. It states that if your vehicle requires more then 5 quarts you maybe charged but I have never been charged more then $29. Plus if they don't get it done in 29 minutes the next one is free, so I've been getting every other oil/filter service free

PS- the filter will only hold 1/2 quart at the most. They are very very small.
Old 08-25-05, 09:01 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

The mind boggling thing is that the manual says the 6.5 quarts INCLUDE a filter change. See below. It looks like the filter only holds 0.5 quarts.

Engine oil:
“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent
Oil grade: API grade SL “Energy–Conserving” or ILSAC
multigrade engine oil.
Recommended oil viscosity: SAE 5W–30
Oil capacity:
Drain and refill
with filter 6.2 L (6.5 qt., 5.5 lmp. qt.)
without filter 5.7 L (6.0 qt., 5.0 lmp. qt.)
See page 551 for detailed information.
Old 08-25-05, 09:49 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

I always bring 7 quarts Mobil 1 to the dealer for my oil change. They never told me that 7 quarts is not enough and the dip stick is on full.
Old 08-25-05, 03:47 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

I think the 6 1/2 gets you to halfway between the lines on the dipstick and the dealer likes to fill until it is at the top line level or sometimes a little above. That way for the owners that never check their oil between 5K mile changes less of a chance of running low on oil. But with a Lexus they never use any oil anyway
Old 08-25-05, 04:16 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

well it's a good thing i read this thread.........i just looked at my 10k service and i got robbed for 9 qts. that's an extra $3.50!!! i hope that dang lochness monster didn't get that three fifty(southpark reference.... ) I'll be paying my dealer a visit real soon.

other charges:

gasket.......$1.00
shop supplies.....$7.29<-----
Old 08-25-05, 05:07 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2Lexos
well it's a good thing i read this thread.........i just looked at my 10k service and i got robbed for 9 qts. that's an extra $3.50!!! i hope that dang lochness monster didn't get that three fifty(southpark reference.... ) I'll be paying my dealer a visit real soon.

other charges:

gasket.......$1.00
shop supplies.....$7.29<-----
Did they charge you for the KY jelly or did they not use any?
Old 08-25-05, 06:05 PM
rajwany
Driver

Cool

guys, correct me if iam wrong. U can buy a loaded caddie escalade for more than $10000 under msrp. but we still choose to pay 2 or 3k over msrp for our dream lexus. should we really be wasting our time on half quart of oil or enjoying our prize possession.
Old 08-25-05, 06:09 PM
2Lexos

Originally Posted by PitBull
Did they charge you for the KY jelly or did they not use any?

i think that's what the $7.29 was for......
Old 08-25-05, 06:13 PM
2Lexos

Originally Posted by rajwany
should we really be wasting our time on half quart of oil or enjoying our prize possession.

it's how the rich get wealthy and the wealthy stay wealthy
Old 08-26-05, 12:44 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caha14

Engine oil:
“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent
Oil grade: API grade SL “Energy–Conserving” or ILSAC
multigrade engine oil.
Recommended oil viscosity: SAE 5W–30
Oil capacity:
Drain and refill
with filter 6.2 L (6.5 qt., 5.5 lmp. qt.)
without filter 5.7 L (6.0 qt., 5.0 lmp. qt.)
See page 551 for detailed information.
the GX470 New Features pdf on the techinfo website says:

Oil Capacity
Dry 7.1 L (7.5 US qts, 6.2 Imp. qts) 
with Oil Filter 6.2 L (6.5 US qts, 5.5 Imp. qts)
without Oil Filter 5.7 L (6.0 US qts, 5.0 Imp. qts)

Quick Reply: Oil Change at Dealer