GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

why no SAT radio in 06

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-05, 02:24 PM
jtbmoore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why no SAT radio in 06

Why are they adding SAT radio in the 06
Old 08-27-05, 08:32 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtbmoore
Why are they adding SAT radio in the 06
When I heard that there would be no satellite radio option for the 06 GX, I figured I'd grab an 05 while the selection and the savings were still pretty good. In fact earlier today, I took delivery of an 05 GX in Blizzard Pearl with Nav/ML, 3rd row seat(mandatory), rear spoiler ,tow hitch and the cargo mat, net and wheel lock package. Saved over 5K off msrp which seems to be pretty good around here. The dealer also threw in a bottle of touch up paint and a rubber weathertech mat for the cargo area. I also have the 06 GX brochure and there is no mention of a satellite radio option. But the 06 LX does have satellite radio (XM or Sirius) capability.
Old 08-27-05, 11:05 PM
jtbmoore
Driver School Candidate

I meant to say, Why are they not adding SAT radio. Wierd.
Old 08-28-05, 08:02 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No SAT radio

Originally Posted by jtbmoore
I meant to say, Why are they not adding SAT radio. Wierd.
Probably because it is just as easy to add an after market kit...remeber the GX is in the tail end of it's design years, probably not worth the effort for the return Lexus would get on it since it will be redesigned/replaced soon anyway.
Old 08-28-05, 07:18 PM
royk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
Probably because it is just as easy to add an after market kit...remeber the GX is in the tail end of it's design years, probably not worth the effort for the return Lexus would get on it since it will be redesigned/replaced soon anyway.
Hang on a minute though, according to a previous post, the '06 LX has the satellite radio capability; surely the LX is a model due to be redesigned before the GX? It's a much older platform and the Lexus LX/Toyota Land Cruiser platform has not been overhauled in quite some time?

We're planning on leasing an '06 GX and the lack of satellite radio isn't a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have it as an option. Not to mention an adapter for an MP3 player or (even better) an iPod. Some of Lexus' European competitors now offer these and we would love to have it.
Old 08-28-05, 07:49 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Royk,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the GX470 does not have the MP3/Ipod adaptor NOR does it have SAT radio option. Only way to do so is via 3rd party add-on, in the form of Vais-Tech.

http://www.vaistech.com/aic100x.html

Many members here on the forum already have it installed, ONLY wish this was an available LEXUS installed option as opposed to the 3rd party. This affects both 05' and 06' (NEW) models...

This definately was NOT a deal-breaker for me.

Good luck...
Old 08-29-05, 05:43 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Sat Radio

Originally Posted by royk
Hang on a minute though, according to a previous post, the '06 LX has the satellite radio capability; surely the LX is a model due to be redesigned before the GX? It's a much older platform and the Lexus LX/Toyota Land Cruiser platform has not been overhauled in quite some time?

We're planning on leasing an '06 GX and the lack of satellite radio isn't a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have it as an option. Not to mention an adapter for an MP3 player or (even better) an iPod. Some of Lexus' European competitors now offer these and we would love to have it.
LX=flagship SUV 'nuff said
Old 09-03-05, 07:22 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I think it's lame that they haven't added satellite AND an iPod connector. Much lower priced vehicles from many other companies have satellite and I think Volvo and several others have iPod connectors. And the redesign answer doesn't make sense to me. The GX is only 3 or 4 years old, right? And you don't have to redesign an entire vehicle to update the inputs on the audio system.
Old 09-04-05, 05:40 PM
Tin Star
Rookie

The lack of Sat radio option is just one of the many quirks the Lexus people pawn off on us. I love the truck but the need to get ahead of the curve instead of behind it.

Speaking of things that irrate me. The hood release and gas door release same shape and side by side with embossed symbols the same color as the rest of the release.

Funky folding seats 2nd and third row.

Don't get me started on the "I agree" and lock out while vehicle in motion issue.

Bad design on key fob.

Doesn't recognize the keys as driver 1 and driver 2.

Just little things but it could be better.

No cargo cover.

No place to hang clothes in rear.

Any others?
Old 09-05-05, 05:02 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Tin,

You da man, same quirks I was voicing in another post, just to add, here are a few more:

Lit LEXUS symbol on the door sill. Go to Lexus Dealer and get into a new RX330 open the door, you'll immediately see what I'm talking about!!!

Swing out rear door as opposed to a lift gate

No Headlamp washing unit, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo and even the RX has this! This is the little JET spray in front of the headlamps that spray solution onto your lights to keep them clean?

No Xenon lights from factory, again, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Accura and RX has it, why not GX? Is this also the reason, why we don't have the wash system for the headlights?

Would have like to have the Infrared object collision detector like the LX has, that sounds way cool!!!

How many here would have liked a REMOTE start or "KEYLESS" start option on the GX, I know I would have LOVED this as an option...

Tin, after I commented on my previous post about pet peeves, someone explained to me about the folding rear seats and the cargo cover. The rear seats could have been designed as folding down flush with the floor, but at the expense have losing the FULL sized spare tire. probably had to have it hang off the rear door like the older style Jeeps or Prado (Asian version of GX under the Toyota brand name). The tourneau cargo cover is available but only without the rear seats because of the way they designed it?!??? This made no sense whatsoever to me, they could have easily designed the rear Tourneau mounts onto the models with the 3rd seats but I guess they were lax during the R&D phase...

After all of this, I still LOVE my GX, I just would love it even MORE if the additional features were available... I know the 2006 basically has a few new colors, that BLUE is looking very VERY sweet, and the reclassified engine rating according to new Gov't specs, but nothing else. If and when the 2007 or the 2008 model year has most of these features, I'll be trading my truck in for the new model!
Old 09-06-05, 04:56 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default New Insight on this

When I was test driving the IS last week, some of the Lexus College guys had mentioned a hardware "issue" with the SAT radio connection for the new IS. It could be that this issue was too difficult to consider a remedy for on an older line vehicle... I mean if the 06 IS is having a challenge to get it to work right, think of the issues that would come up on an 03 model that wasn't set up for it to begin with.
Old 09-12-05, 02:23 PM
powersofal
Driver School Candidate

Default It is strange

I have a 2004 GX - and about 2 weeks after owning it - I took it to my friendly Best Buy and had them installed a CD adapter along with a mounting plate to hold my XM Radio adapter. Have enjoyed the quality of XM thru my Mark Levision every day since I put it in.

My speculation is that the XM interfers with the Navigation system. My GX has the Nav and when the weather is cloudy or overcast my NAV sometimes gets losts. When I really need to use the Nav - I just turn the XM off for the quick time - Nav finds itself. Then turn it back on when I no longer need the Nav. Only a couple times - since most times - I know where I am going - lol.

Another speculation is that the XM radio interfers potentially with the Lexus Link system. I opted not to get the Link system since I got the Nav. But I have a friend with an LX 470 with the Link and put in the XM aftermarket like I did and he has problems similiar to what I have with my Nav. Again he just turns it off..

Plus - Toyota/Lexus is slow in adapting new "electronics" since they want to make sure they work "flawlessly". Toyota has always been known for their quality electronics in their cars.

When your electronics suck - which my wife's XC70 - has been in the shop so many times for electrical/electronics - I am glad Toyota/Lexus takes it's time. I know it's strange - but thats my opinion on this topic.

I can't live without my XM so I am happy I when ahead and did it!
Old 09-12-05, 06:50 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

This is weird about the NAV and XM interference. We have 2-2004 GX's. One was an early '04 production and the other is a last of the bunch '04 run. The early one has an XM Roady that I use with a tape adapter. It causes the Nav to lose signal constantly. As soon as I turn the Roady on, it drops the signal and vice versa.

On the newer GX, I have a Roady2 installed. Now the Nav rarely ever loses its signal in this truck.

Both are mounted exactly the same, connected the same, and antenna in the same place. I haven't switched the Roadys out to complete the experiment, but all I can guess is that the Roady2 is shielded better than the original Roady. The only other conclusion would be that they had changed something about the Nav reception in mid-year production.

It's always baffled me and made me wish they had an integrated Satellite option.
Old 09-12-05, 06:53 PM
royk
Driver School Candidate

That's good news (and relief!) to know that XM can be adapted to the GX. I have XM built in on my Audi A8L and we have gotten used to the variety available on long drives.

I would really appreciate it if you would please share more details on the hardware that you've chosen for your installation. I see a variety of hardware available from the XM website and don't want to reinvent the wheel if you have a solution handy.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-12-05, 09:03 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XM Radio

Originally Posted by royk

I would really appreciate it if you would please share more details on the hardware that you've chosen for your installation. Thanks in advance!
Check out:

http://vaistech.com/aic100x.html

~ Cap

Quick Reply: why no SAT radio in 06