GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX top heavy/roll over?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-05, 10:13 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX top heavy/roll over?

Hey, considering the purchase of the GX. I was wondering if there were any issues with the GX being top heavy or a roll over issue? There are no gov ratings on the vehicle. I know it is similar to the 4Runner which got 3/5, but it is a little taller than the 4Runner. Anybody feel this is an issue with this vehicle?

Right now I'm down to the Toyota Land Cruiser, Infiniti FX45, and the GX470. I like the size and feel of the GX because it feels the closest to my 91 Toyota Land Cruiser. Any other Land Cruiser owners make the switch and have comments?

Also, when do the 06's hit the lots? Anybody have a good dealer in SoCal to buy one? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AgentWD-40; 09-10-05 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-11-05, 06:39 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

well, all i can say is, i'd recommend either Tustin Lexus or Lexus of Westminster.
Old 09-11-05, 12:09 PM
AngelGX
Driver

I love my GX. I think it handles pretty well all the turns. Of course I wouldnt recommend making sharp turns at 75+mph haha other than that its pretty good. If compared to Cruiser or FX, i'd say GX is more stable than Cruiser on the road. But FX's suspensions is definately much better. Cruiser and GX are very similar, whereas FX is more of sport SUV besides its much smaller in size. The only thing about GX that i dont like or, i'm better of saying, what makes me nervouse about it sometime, is that its soo tall, i'm always afraid to go into any garage parkings, and also here in NYC valley parkers charge extra at least $10 for it coz its so big.
Old 09-11-05, 12:40 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tall

Originally Posted by AngelGX

The only thing about GX that i dont like or, i'm better of saying, what makes me nervouse about it sometime, is that its soo tall, i'm always afraid to go into any garage parkings, and also here in NYC valet parkers charge extra at least $10 for it coz its so big.
Hi Angel.....

I don't think the GX is as tall as a Ford Expedition.

~ Cap
Old 09-11-05, 04:17 PM
AngelGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
Hi Angel.....

I don't think the GX is as tall as a Ford Expedition.

~ Cap
Ford Expedition is only taller by like 2 inches
but it doesnt matter because i still have to pay extra every time i go to NYC

~Rosie
Old 09-11-05, 09:33 PM
Donger
Driver

The GX doesn't handle like my old X5 (or the FX45 you are considering), but in 'normal' driving situations, I don't think it would be any worse than the majority of the SUV's on the road. Just this weekend I had to do an emergency idiot-driver avoidance move and the truck made a bunch of tire noise, but the electronic nannies kicked in and there was very little drama. I did have the shocks set on the sport setting, but it appeared the tires would let go far before any steering input would cause a problem. Now if I had hit a curb or something while attempting to avoid Mr. Idiot Driver, that might have been a different story (I don't know if any SUV would have done well in that situation). I guess at that point I would be glad for the bazillion air bags it has.
Old 09-13-05, 07:40 AM
LvMyGX
Driver School Candidate

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._gx/index.html
I think its like 5 pages. This is the first raod test, but there are tons out there.
Old 09-13-05, 10:02 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

When the GX first came out, it's engineer said something about the GX center of gravity is quite low (something like 18" off the ground but i am not sure on that)...therefore, chances of it rolling over is probably just as good as 90% SUVs out there. I would not worry. GX frame is where most of the weight is.

If you want more stability, then i would seriously consider the KDSS option/package, which has larger/thicker anti-roll bars.
Old 09-13-05, 11:49 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That MotorTrend article says the GX is marginally taller than the LX??!! I guess that explains why the GX looks tall and narrow on the road...
Old 09-13-05, 01:46 PM
LvMyGX
Driver School Candidate

I have actually parked next to many LX's and by my sight it appears to be as tall, if not taller. I dont know the specific stats tho. I can tell you that I have owned lots of SUV's and been in many SUV's and I feel very safe in my GX. With all the many air bags and cross beams on the frame, I think we're good to go. I believe that the GX & 4-runner (same frame) was rated best pick by the ins saftey institution for all SUV's. You might want to check that out.
Old 09-14-05, 08:25 AM
flyfishman
Driver

According to Lexus site, GX is 74.6 inches, LX is 72.8 inches. Land Cruiser is 73.2 inches and 4-runner is 71.1 inches. It is interesting that the LX is shorter and wider than the GX, but the GX's center of gravity must be lower - also weight nearly 700 lbs less. This is a 2003 design so you would think Toyota considered these variables prior to launching. My GX does produce some lean in the corners, but does not feel tipsy or unsafe. I have followed many LX/LCs on the road and thought they leaned considerably more. I think the verticle tail lights in the rear also add to its tall look.
Old 09-14-05, 10:08 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb What defines top heavy ....

The GX is taller, but the real issue is where most of the weight is. If you wanted to get an idea of rollover potential you would have to evaluate the greatest center of mass. That is basically the floor pan and Engine/Transmission/Transfer case layout. The stuff above that is principally moderate framing and sheet metal (steel or aluminium). The ABS brakes make a difference, and the KDSS suspension helps maintain control. If the vehicle leans to much in manuevering, that can lead to a shift in weight to be off "center". The KDSS would help maintain that "centered" distribution. I have KDSS, and I recommend it highly. This is not a sedan, but I have never been in a situation where I felt it was near tipping, even when manuevering around something at a crazy speed. It feels far better than some of the other SUV's that I have driven. - Good luck with your decision
Old 09-16-05, 06:17 PM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

I have not driven one with the KDSS but many people say it stabilizes the vehicle in the corners. I do not have KDSS and the truck is very sloppy in turns. There is way too much lean and the tires are lousy too. I would test drive both id I were you.
Old 09-17-05, 02:05 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i've driven a regular GX and one with KDSS, and i could not imagine buying a regular non-KDSS GX. the difference is night and day, with KDSS there is almost zero lean when going around turns quickly.imo the price difference is well worth it, and make sure you get the michelins.

not sure if this video has been posted in the forum,but take a look at this
http://www.lexus.com/models/video_popup/kdss.html

as for a dealer i would try lexus of Westminster and talk to Go, he took good care of me when i bought my GX.

Last edited by laziiiek4; 09-17-05 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 09:05 AM
177mph
Pole Position

As an aside to an earlier comment - I park in NYC all the time and have never paid extra to park my GX. That sounds like a scam to me. I park all over the city and have never had that happen....