GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: What kind of gas are you using these days?
Premium
51.96%
Regular
48.04%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of gas? Premium or regular? (merged GX gas threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 01:31 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Globalinx
Wow! I didn't realize that so many people put regular gas in to their GXs. You wont see me doing that. I don't think the benifit of cheaper gas will compensate for less MPG. But who knows.
It's totally a valid point. I didn't read the owners manual as I had an 06 4Runner V8 which is the same engine and tranny down to compression and all. I did research that before moving into the GX. The powertrain was a huge plus for for me and I didn't want to loose that in the GX. I assumed the lack of the "premium fuel required" sticker, and same engine tranny would require the same "ding ding". I'll switch but only to see what happens. My GX runs like a champ now on midgrade. I've never run 87 or 85 if you are in Denver.
Old 03-25-11, 06:47 AM
Gbrewer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Booyah
Its only money! It calls for Prem--It gets Prem!
common belief has been...

-Power loss
-Gas mileage itself usually outways the cost in the fuel difference
-possible triggering of check engine lights (I see it all the time here at the MINI dealership, not a lexus but still)
Old 03-25-11, 08:12 AM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by Gbrewer
common belief has been...

-Power loss
-Gas mileage itself usually outways the cost in the fuel difference
-possible triggering of check engine lights (I see it all the time here at the MINI dealership, not a lexus but still)
I'm no mechanic, but that check engine light would be a result from pre-detonation coming from a knock sensor no? I'm just wondering is all. I have been using midgrade but have to qualms about stepping up to Premium. Just didn't know I had to.
Old 03-25-11, 12:07 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Just to weigh in on the debate... There is a distinct difference between a manufacturer "recommending" a certain grade of gasoline and "requiring" it.

The owner's manual of my 2005 GX w/the VVTI engine does NOT "require" premium fuel which I consider 90 octane and above. Rather it "recommends" that I use a minimum 87octane. That being said, there is no harm to the engine by using a lower grade of fuel then what is "recommended." Performance may suffer, mpg's may be lower etc, but there is no risk of pre-detonation (knock) when using 87 octane. Truthfully, I have not noticed a difference in performance or mpg's when using a higher octane fuel. If there is a difference it's negligible.

Here's a snippet from Phil Reed's (senior consumer advice editor at Edmonds) Edmonds article on the matter...

"When choosing what grade of gasoline to use, Steve Mazor, principal auto engineer for the Auto Club of Southern California, said it is important to read the owner's manual carefully. The key is to figure out whether premium gasoline is "required" or "recommended." If it is recommended then a driver could opt to use a lower grade of gas, if they were willing to accept slightly reduced performance and fuel economy."

Last edited by cssnms; 04-10-11 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-25-11, 03:00 PM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Globalinx
Wow! I didn't realize that so many people put regular gas in to their GXs. You wont see me doing that. I don't think the benifit of cheaper gas will compensate for less MPG. But who knows.
It's probably not worth the time and effort to do it, but if you did....

I'd be willing to bet that the MPG difference you see between regular and premium wouldn't be enough to make up the difference in cost between the two. It typically isn't, assuming the MPG is measured accurately.
Old 03-26-11, 06:38 PM
marekh1
Driver School Candidate

How many miles is anyone getting from a full tank of premium?
Old 03-26-11, 11:03 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I averaged 1/2 to 1 mpg more on 93 over 89. Ran both for 3 months solid and that was my results over the same driving. I run 89 all the time now and I notice no other difference. Never tried 87 though. I have noted up to 3mpg difference with both Acura and Volvos but my Lexus never gives me that much. Plus I don't notice any performance changes on 89. My Acura and Volvo were awful on anything less than 93 but Lexus runs like a top on 89. We had the same drivetrain on our Sequoia and we always ran 87 with no issues. I am sticking with 89 in my GX.
Old 03-27-11, 09:59 AM
squeege
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marekh1
How many miles is anyone getting from a full tank of premium?
I get 300miles & the light goes on. I love everything about the GX except that it's a pig when it comes to gas mileage. Yes, I'm still using premium & the 300 miles is a highway trip @ 78mph utilizing cruise control.

Squeege
Old 03-28-11, 06:30 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by squeege
I get 300miles & the light goes on. I love everything about the GX except that it's a pig when it comes to gas mileage.
Squeege
Compared to what?
Old 03-31-11, 02:17 PM
squeege
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Compared to the cars in my driveway.

The GX is terrific at doing what it does as a hauler and when I need the space &/or seating.

Squeege

Last edited by squeege; 03-31-11 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 10:26 PM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhmm.. felllas now I'm confused. I thought we all put the best stuff in our truck aka 93 ???
I guess I'm missing something here. so are putting either 93 or 87 in our truck and it doesn't matter ? What is the advantage or disadvantage ? With an engine of this magnitude and such sophistication, I just don't see the justification of putting regular gas in it. But you all got me thinking now...I thought I see unleaded only somewhere....I think I need to go read my manual as well.

Thanks
rbx10
Old 04-06-11, 07:19 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rbx10
Uhmm.. felllas now I'm confused. I thought we all put the best stuff in our truck aka 93 ???
I guess I'm missing something here. so are putting either 93 or 87 in our truck and it doesn't matter ? What is the advantage or disadvantage ? With an engine of this magnitude and such sophistication, I just don't see the justification of putting regular gas in it. But you all got me thinking now...I thought I see unleaded only somewhere....I think I need to go read my manual as well.

Thanks
rbx10
Yes it is unleaded only but not "Premium fuel required" or "premium fuel recommended" I still use 87 octane with an occasional 93 for the cleanout, although I could just use a Lucas fuel cleaner once every 3k miles. No problems ever concerning fuel system with 78k on an 04
Old 04-06-11, 09:10 PM
Kymber317
Driver School Candidate

Premium is the only way to go if that's what Lexus recommends.
Old 04-07-11, 03:27 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

[QUOTE=ROSCOGX470;6289506]Yes it is unleaded only but not "Premium fuel required" or "premium fuel recommended" I still use 87 octane with an occasional 93 for the cleanout, although I could just use a Lucas fuel cleaner once every 3k miles. No problems ever concerning fuel system with 78k on an 04[/

Just curious, how does 93 octane "clean out"
Old 04-08-11, 11:36 AM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey y'all check this out. My neighbor owns an infinity GS coupe. He said one time he put regular gas in it and the car would not budge. He usually put super. Isn't that interesting? ?

Quick Reply: What kind of gas? Premium or regular? (merged GX gas threads)