GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: What kind of gas are you using these days?
Premium
51.96%
Regular
48.04%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of gas? Premium or regular? (merged GX gas threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 08:12 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
You can believe whoever you want or whatever literature you want that best supports your beliefs, it's your truck.

I didn't realize we were talking about what option is the most GREEN.
I'm quoting

2006 Lexus Owner's Manual for GX470
2007 Lexus Owner's Manual for GX470
2008 Lexus Owner's Manual for GX470
2009 Lexus Owner's Manual for GX470

on the GX470 forum. You on the other hand are talking about 4Runner.

So right back at you.

"You can believe whoever you want or whatever literature you want that best supports your beliefs, it's your truck."
Old 04-09-11, 08:29 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisK
I guess, since you asked so nice.

Here are facts for you.

Cut and paste straight from 06 GX user manual:

"Select premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating
of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher for optimum
engine performance. However, if such premium type
cannot be obtained, you may temporarily use unleaded
gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (Research
Octane Number 91)."

Cut and paste straight from 07 GX user manual (same as 08 and 09):

"Fuel types
Use premium unleaded gasoline. (91 Octane Rating [Research Octane Number
96] or higher)"

Stop generalizing. First generation GX goes from 2003 to 2009. It is not 2005 only as you would like to think. From 2006 on the owners manual states different required octane rating as you claim to be a fact.

So yes, let's go there. You made a wrong huge assumption. And that is a fact.
What HUGE assumption would that be?

Your cut and paste skills are truely extraordinary, although I am surprised you don't reference your owner's manual. I guess it doesn't support whatever you think you're getting out of using 91 octane.

Let me simplify this for you, the 2UZ-FE engine, the same engine found in your GX and the 2006-2009 GX and 4 Runner V-8 will run on 87 octane gas without consequence. Not only does Lexus/Toyota not require it per my Owner's manual, they do not call for Premium fuel to be used in the 4 Runner V-8.

Clearly you believe you know more about the subject of octane and the 2UZ-FE engine, so why don't you tell everyone why your truck "requires" premium?

Last edited by cssnms; 04-09-11 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-09-11, 08:41 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by ChrisK
I'm quoting

2006 Lexus Owner's Manual for GX470
2007 Lexus Owner's Manual for GX470
2008 Lexus Owner's Manual for GX470
2009 Lexus Owner's Manual for GX470

on the GX470 forum. You on the other hand are talking about 4Runner.

So right back at you.

"You can believe whoever you want or whatever literature you want that best supports your beliefs, it's your truck."
I am not going dicker with you over whose Owner manual you have chosen to follow, it is pointless and a waste of time. Furthermore, it has become abundantly clear that you know little as to the subject of what type of engine is in your truck or the role of octane as it relates to engine performance.

Continue to use whatever grade of gas you want, shoot, throw some octane booster in your tank, I hear it will reduce your emissions 35% more and add another 20hp. Good day.

Last edited by cssnms; 04-09-11 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 04:45 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts
Wink

Outside of a slight improvement in performance there is NO other benefit to using Premium in the GX. (re-read my post #26)

The GX owner's manual says the following, Lexus requires that you use an octane rating of 87 and above in your GX. For improved performance they "recommend" premium. To that end a higher octane gas will do nothing to keep your engine cleaner. Using only quality gas that adds quality detergents e.g. Chevron w/Techron is more important IMO then the octane count. Chevron not only adds their proprietary detergent, Techron to their gas, but they add it at levels above the minimum required by the EPA, whereas most gasoline/oil companies add only the minium. Add a bottle of Techron every 4 to 6 months as a preventative measure to keep injectors clean.

Okay just checking, we use shell or Exxon up here in jersey, they are on the TOP TIER list
Old 04-10-11, 04:49 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

I love watching grown men argue over octane. I don't think I ever recall seeing a Gx broken down on the side of the road so whatever everyone is dumping in their tanks, it must me working. Lot of moms out there driving this truck, too busy talking on their cell phones to thing about anything but the cheapest choice at the pump
Old 04-10-11, 07:02 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I love watching grown men argue over octane. I don't think I ever recall seeing a Gx broken down on the side of the road so whatever everyone is dumping in their tanks, it must me working. Lot of moms out there driving this truck, too busy talking on their cell phones to thing about anything but the cheapest choice at the pump
It's all in good fun.
Old 04-10-11, 07:21 AM
cssnms
Racer

Default Specifications of latest 2UZ-FE Engine

The 2UZ-FE engine has evolved up until the latest/last generation, which incorporated the Variable Valve Timing-intelligent system (VVT-i) found in the GX470 MY's 2005-2009. Toyota also used the same VVT-i V-8 engine in the Tundra and 4-Runner.

For anyone that is interested attached are the basic specifications to include the compression ratio and octane requirement for the latest/last varient of the 2UZ-FE VVT-i V-8 engine in contrast to the specifications for the non VVT-i 2UZ-FE V-8 found in MY's 2003 and 2004.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2uz-fe Specifications.pdf (92.2 KB, 1802 views)

Last edited by cssnms; 04-11-11 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-10-11, 08:20 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What HUGE assumption would that be?
Read post #54 again.

Continue to use whatever grade of gas you want, shoot, throw some octane booster in your tank, I hear it will reduce your emissions 35% more and add another 20hp. Good day.
Close, but not close enough mr. expert.

Here is the difference between LEV and ULEV II

"ULEV II: Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle, a mid-level Phase II LEV standard. Hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions levels are nearly 50% lower than those of a LEV II-certified vehicle."
Old 04-10-11, 08:54 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Okay just checking, we use shell or Exxon up here in jersey, they are on the TOP TIER list
I use Exxon and Shelll as well, also on my list are Chevron, BP and Texaco. Although admittedly I am guilty of using off-brand gas on occassion, but only when circumstances leave me with little choice.
Old 04-10-11, 12:24 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use Exxon as much as possible. Having Exxon Mastercard that saves me 15 cents off every gallon certainly helps...
Old 04-19-11, 03:22 PM
zmw
Rookie

in a car that is as low revving and low compression as the 2UZ is, there is simply no reason for premium gas, and I'd be surprised if you anyone actually noticed ANY performance difference. It'd be different if the car were turbo charged, super charged, or ran a much higher compression - you guys have to remember that this motor is basically the migration of the 1UZ motor from the 80s, and the 2UZ has been available since 98 - this is not a complicated or extraordinarily advanced V8 we're talking about here, it's not high compression or doing anything special. It's detuned, with a cast iron block and aluminum head - it would run on pisswater probably.

Now, is the ECU smart enough to take advantage of higher octane gas and advance the ignition cycle a wee bit and eek out an extra 2-5hp, maybe, but no one here can tell that difference, I sure as heck can't.

For those of you that put premium in your "premium" lexus because you're a "premium" person - keep in mind that your lexus shares an engine with the EXACT specs, as the 2000 Tundra... if you have a VVTi version, it's so premium that you share it with every 2005 tundra, sequoia and v8 4-runner, none of which call for premium...

Please don't misunderstand me, I love my GX, and I love all my toyota cars, from the supra to the landcruiser, and my wife's GX - but there is no sense in wasting the 20-40c per gallon on premium.

we drive approximately 25k miles per year - and while it may seem like pennies, the cost of premium adds up to over 500$ extra per year. And we can afford the 500$ but I didn't get to the point of not caring about 500$ by not caring about 500$

Either way, just look at it objectively - if the peace of mind is worth the 500$ to you, then spend it - I'm just telling you that from a technical stand point there is simply no reason to spend it.
Old 04-19-11, 05:19 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zmw
we drive approximately 25k miles per year - and while it may seem like pennies, the cost of premium adds up to over 500$ extra per year. And we can afford the 500$ but I didn't get to the point of not caring about 500$ by not caring about 500$
Ooh, love that quote.

I was watching Whoopie Goldberg on The View once, they were talking about money, and she made a comment about penny pinching. One of the other ladies acted surprised and said something to the effect of, "Why do you do that, you have money!" Whoopie responded by saying, "How do you think I keep my money?"

Nothing wrong with spending less for the same result, if you can.

Oh - and regular gas from Costco!!

Turby
Old 06-29-12, 12:48 PM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Premium or Regular Fuel?

Show of hands: who uses premium fuel in their GX? Who uses regular?
Do you notice a difference in power, responsiveness or fuel economy?

Personally, I use premium because I like the way the truck runs on premium and the fuel economy I get is reasonable for a V8, about 23mpg Hwy/17mpg City.

I know that octane is a measure of resistance to knock but modern engines like the 2UZ-FE found in the GX 470 have knock sensors that automatically adjust air/fuel ratio theoretically reducing power and responsiveness to reduce or eliminate knocking. So if you don't care about power does it really matter?
Old 06-29-12, 01:10 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are about to get a lot of people telling you to use the search function of this website because this has been beat to death.

I don't personally care of you want to bring it up again, but I'm just giving you a friendly heads up.
Old 06-29-12, 01:28 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

from what i read on here the norm is 13 mpg for average...

i get 12mpg but that's city driving...

Last edited by clubsport; 06-29-12 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: What kind of gas? Premium or regular? (merged GX gas threads)