GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 GX For a 28 Year Old??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 07:17 PM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 GX For a 28 Year Old??

Hello everyone,
I am a 28 year old guy, Currently I have a 2004 Camry, and want to upgrade to a luxury SUV. I love the Lexus brand, and would love to have the GX. Other options are the X5 and maybe the mercedes and MDX.

Do you suggest the GX for a 28 year old guy?? All I see are women driving these.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated....
I am at "itsmikeyp" on instant messenger AOL

-M

Last edited by petsb10; 09-19-05 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 08:08 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Chill.. im 26 and im coming from e46 m3. I wanted SUV and wanted more room. Plus i didnt want BMW or MB SUV.

You should be fine. Ladies tend to drive more RX than GX....
Old 09-19-05, 08:19 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you guys should be going for GS with a 2jzgte swap. c'mon!
Old 09-19-05, 08:32 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

< 24 and couldn't be any happier
Old 09-19-05, 09:30 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the GX, it drives and rides nice. That said, I probably wouldn't pick one, I'd go for a GS if I were getting a Lexus. I'm a 24 year old guy BTW. My mom is about to get one so that helps shape my perceptions (she didn't like the RX or LX). I would consider a GX with a few mods though (rims, exhaust, tint, etc), and if it were black. I'm not a big fan of the other colors.

If I were to pick a luxury SUV I would pick the Toyota Land Cruiser. The TLC just has a tougher more rugged image and I like that. It also happens to be very refined and comfortable.

But my real advice is this: Ignore what I just said and ignore what everybody else said. If you like the GX get it. That is the bottom line.

Last edited by AgentWD-40; 09-19-05 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-20-05, 03:36 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by petsb10
Hello everyone,
I am a 28 year old guy, Currently I have a 2004 Camry, and want to upgrade to a luxury SUV. I love the Lexus brand, and would love to have the GX. Other options are the X5 and maybe the mercedes and MDX.

Do you suggest the GX for a 28 year old guy?? All I see are women driving these.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated....
I am at "itsmikeyp" on instant messenger AOL

-M
If you're contemplating a "luxury SUV", you are certainly in the right arena with the GX. Moreover, if you're contemplating spending close to $50K (or more) for a vehicle, you had better make up your own mind about what interests or pleases you and not base that decision on what others think or say. It's your money, and it's important that you're happy with the purchase.

I own an `04 GX470. I bought it for my wife to get her out of (and get rid of) a `99 Trooper to which she was mysteriously attached. She LOVES the GX. When I can get the GX from her I drive it. I drove my daughter and her girlfriends to a concert last Saturday and was amazed at how smooth and quiet the GX is on the highway! The truck is just amazing!

Here are my last words about the GX: I also drive an `04 SC430 and an `05.5 Audi A4 2.0T, but I prefer driving the GX because of the way it nicely combines size, power, ride, and handling (not to mention the amenities, such as ML and Nav)!

Last edited by LeslieRC; 09-20-05 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-20-05, 05:09 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Gx

Funny - I was the first of my young (then 23) friends to get an SUV, new Explorer, but I understand your concerns. As for the soccer moms thing - that is true, but there are a few guys whipping GX's - CL members especially. No one needs to know your business, and if YOU like it that should be enough...how it cramps or improves your style will be what you make of it. People used to joke about me having my Explorer, but the f-u to that was I can't tow my boat to the lake with my Mustang, so I traded up.

In any case, you are not making a bad choice with the GX. I have one as a daily driver, summertime and special occasions I drive my GS4. I will be giving up my GX though for the AWD IS in a few months. Mainly because 90% of the time it's just me in it, and at $3.29/gallon, I'd rather have something a little better on gas.
Old 09-20-05, 09:26 AM
LvMyGX
Driver School Candidate

My husband enjoys driving my GX. He has said in the past that if we could we would own a few more we would, most of all the new sport edition. I think it has a very sporty look, but also has that classey Lexus look, plus I wouldnt be caught in anything else except my GX if I need to go off road
Old 09-23-05, 06:14 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

My boyfriend bought a Honda Passport when he was 27. Back in 1999/2000, there wasn't much for the midsize luxury SUV line. He ended up trading it in about 9months after he bought it for his GS3. Ever since I picked up my GX he LOVES it! He said the first time he drove it that if the GX was around when he bought his first SUV, he wouldn't be driving a car today. Now, I guess he has the best of both worlds.

Anyway, like a few others have said, it's your money. Spend it on something you enjoy. The hell with everyone else. Besides, you know what they say about opinions!!
Old 09-23-05, 12:41 PM
TexGX
Rookie

Ok, I know that mostly soccer moms drive the GX around where I live and it is sad. The GX is one of the best true SUV's on the market. Its stock off-road performace(with KDSS) can only be matched by the Range Rover, LR3 or G500. Its road performace can only be matched by the X5 or Porche. The GX is the best of both worlds. If you do not want to take it off-road, then there may be better choices for you. I put a grill guard and tail light covers to give it a more manly look. Put a bike rack on, fill with camping gear, and the women will follow.

TexGX
Old 09-25-05, 11:45 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not who drives it, it's what and how you use it. Forgive the familiar time tested analogy. But if you keep it muddy, no one's going to call you a girl :-)

I've had SUV's since '86. Starting with lots of 4runner's (3) and then a Land Cruiser in 04, to another 4Runner in 06, then a RX in 99. The GX is by far the most athletic SUV I've ever driven. The best 4 wheel drive capable vehicle in my opinion. I do see woman driving them too, but I'd never mistake the GX for anything else but a pure rugged, tough, manly SUV.
Old 10-02-05, 08:59 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

You are still young, get something sportier, like the BMW X5 4.4 with Sports Package or a new GS430 for the same money you spend on a new GX470. As much as I love our 05 GX470, it's still my wife's vehicle and she looks good driving it because she is just like any of the other beautiful soccer moms out there!

Also looking the GX470 at certain side angles, the high height from the rear and those so-so 17" factory rims is not that appealing and sporty.
Old 10-03-05, 11:05 AM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

That is why I will be sure to put new rims on my GX. The stock rims really are unappealing.

Thanks
Old 10-03-05, 11:06 AM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

The BMW X5 4.4 with sports package is much more expensive than the GX, No??
Old 10-05-05, 02:00 PM
Flufferiou
Lead Lap

<-24 and loving my GX.

You can't compare the GX to the BMW or MB; the GX is more reliable and you don't need to worry about "Is a light gonna come on my cluster? How much am I gonna have to shelve out to MB/BMW again for service????"

GX for the money, Best bang for the Buck

Quick Reply: 2006 GX For a 28 Year Old??