GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

The More I Read These Post, The More I Do Not Want The GX, Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-05, 09:59 AM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The More I Read These Post, The More I Do Not Want The GX, Help!!!

Hey everyone, planning on getting the GX, but I keep reading all these posts about Clunk and TILT and Faulty KDSS. I probably wish I didnt find this sight, but I'm thinking I want the KDSS and if mine Tilts and is faulty, I will cry!
Old 09-29-05, 10:27 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by petsb10
Hey everyone, planning on getting the GX, but I keep reading all these posts about Clunk and TILT and Faulty KDSS. I probably wish I didnt find this sight, but I'm thinking I want the KDSS and if mine Tilts and is faulty, I will cry!
Please keep in mind that individual comments on this forum are not indicative of, or do not necessarily reflect, general problems or complaints regarding the GX. I own an `04 GX470 and could not be happier with the truck or with the serivce I receive from my Lexus dealer. My GX does not have the KDSS, so I cannot comment regarding that system. However, my GX has been driven approximately 11,000 miles and I have never experienced a "clunk" -type sound or condition. The only problem I have experienced with my GX was a "crunching" sound when I operated the moonroof. This occurred around 9,000 miles and the dealership fixed it under warranty. No problems with the moonroof since then.

My advice to you if you're even remotely interested in the GX is to test drive this fabulous truck. [Before I purchased mine, my dealer let me keep the GX overnight.] By the way, I have not read anywhere on this forum about GX owners being ready to part with their GXs as a result of the issues they reported. I've said elsewhere on this forum that the GX is primarily my wife's "daily driver" and that I drive an `04 SC430, but that whenever I can get my hands on it I prefer driving the GX. Frankly, at roughly $47K, there's no other SUV that compares to this vehicle.

Last edited by LeslieRC; 09-29-05 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 11:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Hi Petsb10. LeslieRC Couldn't have said it better
I'm not here to defend the GX like a blinded brand loyalist.

From what I read about other members unhappy experience with the GX, it has nothing to do with the GX leaving them stranded, shutting off while driving, mechanical nightmares, electrical nightmares, transmission problems....
Some members are even trading up their 03 to the 04 and 05

Many members have owned other brands of SUV that exhibit the clunk, most predominant on the 03s and some 04s?.

I have family member with Mercedes ML (monthly nightmares), associates with Land rovers, friend with yukon, and if you want to talk about nightmare
Here's a new one with my father in law MB 01 S500: catalytic converter needs to be replaced......at only 25k miles

I have an 05 with about 8k miles and don't have this clunk problem.
The only reason we got the GX is mainly for the 3rd row and lexus smoothness and reliability.
Yes, for $47k and with 3rd, you can't get much better than this.

Have you read other forums to see what other members are saying about their suv?

Go test drive it a few times and see what you think.
Good luck.
Old 09-29-05, 11:50 AM
GtownGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember forums for any product often pull the extremes. I did what I considered to be extensive research prior to purchasing my GX 470 w/KDSS. I also spent hours combing through the forums to look at what problems (if any) are likely to exist. I firmly believe that while there is some risk with any purchase you make, the GX 470 purchase is an outstanding vehicle and has a minimal risk compared to other SUVs in the category.

With few exceptions, most comments I've read say they are pretty happy with the vehicle. Having owned several Jeeps and most recently an Acura MDX (that had a ton of issues), I'm thrilled to be a GX 470 owner. I fully expect to feel the same way after a few years of ownership too, but time will be the judge of that.
Old 09-29-05, 01:09 PM
Tin Star
Rookie

I have 05 GX, 05 C6 Vette and 05 Cadillac RSX. Would not have purchased any of these vehicles if I had based my decisions on what these forums say. I've had absolutly no problems with any of the vehicles. Cars are for transportation. End of story as far as I am concerned. I buy them , drive them and get rid of them. GX is a solid 4 wheel drive truck.
Old 09-29-05, 03:26 PM
batmobl
Rookie

I have an 05 GX for about a month now and around 650 miles. I love it. I think the best example I can give is, someone on this forum said they had a 03 and had the clunk but he/she still traded it and got another GX. If the clunk was such a big issue, I am sure this person would have stayed away from the GX. I agree with the other comments. Most of the times, people write about issues they have on forums. If everything is going smoothly, you won't find those people typically coming to this forum just to say "My car runs fine". You should definitely test drive it. You should also check forums of any other SUVs that you might be considering and I bet you you will find tons of issues with them. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-30-05, 10:42 PM
Donger
Driver

At the risk of repeating what has been said above, go a read the posts on the BMW X5 (E53) on roadfly.org - you want to see a vehicle with problems. I loved the way my X5 drove, but I don't like having the service department on speed dial. I've got an '05 GX and while it only has 4,500 miles, I've had it since Feb and have used it off road, for towing and the occasional family hauling. It has been a wonderful vehicle. It is the 4th Lexus I've had and the only one I have not had to take back to the dealer to get some minor rattle or other fixed. And I still can't get over how smooth it is - even more so when you consider it is a real truck and not a car-based platform. I was most impressed on the electronics of the vehicle - they all work. Coming out of the BMW with its terrible NAV system and tempermental electronics, this is great. I've never needed a NAV system before, but I find myself looking for a reason to put an address in there just to watch how fast it works. I'll be doing the 5k service soon - and that will be the first time I've been back to the dealer since Feb.

I don't have KDDS, so I can't comment on those issues and there will be some vehicles that have a problem or two (as I expect with mine, the more miles I put on it), but with my X5 at 4,500 miles, I already had a stack of repair tickets and even had some of the electronic features disabled as they never could get them to work correctly.
Old 10-01-05, 07:24 AM
ABDULLATIF
Driver School Candidate

I had 04 gx and trade it to 05with kdss .I have some problem with noise from thedoor and some times the clunk ,and i still love my care and i will keep buying gx
Old 10-03-05, 09:55 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No problems with mine

This is the best SUV I have owned and I have owned 4runner limited, X5 4.4, MDX none of those trucks can do what the GX can do off road and on the road for comfort and luxury. Dont let 5 or 6 people looking to express their problems scare you. These types of forums were made for people to vent and look for help. Every car manufacturer is going to have some bad vehicles Lexus just has fewer of them. I have been a loyal BMW fan but after the last 3 BMWs and going to Lexus I cannot believe the customer service Lexus has. I love my GX and I love my dealership. I wont go back to BMW.
Old 10-03-05, 09:55 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool If only life was full of guarantees.....

To reiterate what others have stated, it is on how you look at the situation. I think you should pretend to like a different car or truck. Go to the Forums on that choice, and compare how owners feel about their selection. You will always find disgruntled individuals in anything. Some are valid, and others are there for the drama. In either case, you can assume how important those same issues would be to you. No one here is telling you to buy one, and I bet not many even care if you do. So, you should make your own peace of mind the priority.
Personally, I am happy that I purchased one of the best represented trucks in this industry. The service is very good, without requring a $1000 payment every time. And the quality is very high. There are a few issues I would like to work out differently, but overall I am good with the experience.

Good thing I didn't listen to that twinky part of my brain that wanted the X5.
Old 10-03-05, 02:31 PM
Nortel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by petsb10
Hey petsb10

Go buy a Kia. It look good for a 28 yrs boy and it had good warranty plan too.
Old 10-04-05, 09:50 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Have a 04 fully loaded and have the clunking issue. Dealer tried to fix but it was only temporary nonetheless I have the clunking issue again. Dealer will advise me if their will be a fix in the near future.
Old 10-07-05, 08:42 AM
Flufferiou
Lead Lap

Granted I've only had my GX for 2 months now, I've found that Lexus is very helpful when it comes to fixing problems. No car can be 100% but the peace of mind that Lexus will do everything to help me fix my car (under warranty) is enough to purchase the GX.

Everyone who has experienced the problems you've mentioned has had them fixed or the dealer is willing to work with them on it and I don't see too many GX's for sale on Used car lots so...