GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Chrome License Plate Frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 10:23 PM
Nortel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome License Plate Frame

Does anyone know which license plate frame look good for the gx and where to get it, and how much should pay.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-05, 07:46 AM
tnguyenmdc
Driver School Candidate

Click link below and check out all the frames. This place also have the best price that I have found.

http://lexus.parkplacestores.com/lexlicplatfr.html
Old 10-18-05, 12:31 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

They don't have one for the GX470.
Old 10-18-05, 01:15 PM
wbh3
Driver School Candidate

I have to ask: Why a frame with the model on it when GX470 is already on the back of the vehicle (unless it's not on the back anymore)?
Old 10-18-05, 09:51 PM
Donger
Driver

That is kind of what I was thinking - isn't it a bit redundant to have the word 'Lexus' and 'GX470' on the back of the truck and then put the same thing around your plate? I personally went for the less is more approach and just put a thin chrome frame on the plate - no words. I think it looks better that way, but to each their own.

Something like these http://tinyurl.com/89jwt . Nice touch when the screws are covered too.
Old 10-19-05, 03:27 PM
Kung Pao
Driver School Candidate

Default simple is better

i agree with Donger, reduce redundancy!

I would argue that simple is better. In fact I remove the name plates from all of my cars, a spartain disavoument of material goods, then the machine is only the machine.
Old 10-19-05, 06:32 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Nortel.....

Before I decided on a license plate holder for my GX I did some serious searching.

Below is the one I decided I liked the best.

I went with chrome because my GX is blue with chrome wheels.

This license plate holder is very high quality.

Sometimes the plate holders that have clear covers so the plate doesn't get dirty end up looking kind of hazy or unclear. This clear cover stays as clear as glass , in fact I think it is some type of high tech glass. It's durable and does not scratch. This entire unit is heavy duty and top of the line.

Below are some pictues and links to where you can buy a set.

Good luck on finding what works for you.

=(ZEP)=

Description:
Get Fort Knox toughness and security with Rodeo Drive style. The Prestige License Plate Frame excellently blends with your black, chrome or gold trim, adding to your vehicle’s limited edition style.

Because security is a must, the Prestige Plate Frame encases your plate between a steel back and a thick ABS polycarbonate frame. Plus, for extra theft prevention, the entire frame attaches together with uncommon hex-key screws at each corner. To top it all off, your plate is completely covered by rubber-sealed safety glass that stops moisture, bugs, rust, dirt and registration sticker thieves cold.

Choose the border finish that best suits your discerning taste: smooth powder-coated black, brilliant chrome or vibrant 24K gold plating. Each of these finish colors brighten your plate, adding class and style to an otherwise dull area of your vehicle.

Features:

The Prestige License Plate Frame requires approximately 15 minutes of installation time on any vehicle.

Secures your license plate between a solid steel backing and a substantial ABS polycarbonate frame.

Frames your license plate like a fine work of art with moisture-sealed safety glass.

The Prestige Frame stops bugs, dings, dirt and registration sticker thieves from tampering with your plate.

Entire frame attaches together with uncommon hex-key screws (wrench included)

The Prestige License Plate Frame weighs 2½” lbs.—roughly 5 times heavier than flimsy plastic frames.

Choose from 3 exclusive finishes: smooth powder-coated black, brilliant chrome or vibrant 24K gold plating.

http://www.autoanything.com/products...e_plate_frames

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...id/882/sc/2737

If you really really need it....I could take a picture of mine so you could see the look on a GX........I think it really looks good......but everybody is different. Let me know.

Last edited by itsZep; 10-19-05 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 07:09 AM
MarcP
Driver

If you really really need it....I could take a picture of mine so you could see the look on a GX........I think it really looks good......but everybody is different. Let me know.
How did you manage to mount them on the GX? I have the Altec frames which are similar, but since the GX has only the top two mounting bolts front & rear these types of plate systems get difficult to install. I could only use 2 bolts on each so the bottom of the plate/frames are not really "attached"
Old 10-21-05, 07:43 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

It's been several months but I remember my installation was extremely easy.

I have trouble putting gas in a car..........lol..........so if I did it.....I know anyone can.

I just walked out to my GX and the license plate holder is screwed into all four corners and it is extremely stable and tight.

Maybe I added the two bottom screws, I honestly can't remember.

In my opinion this particular holder looks great on the GX and mine is very securely mounted.

Old 10-21-05, 07:50 AM
MarcP
Driver

Thanks for the quick response - my GX only has upper mounting points for both plates so maybe I should just add the lower ones as well - although I am not sure how possible that is in the rear...
Old 10-21-05, 08:53 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Your welcome Marc.

My GX is a 2004.

If I had to add screws, I assure you it must have been very easy.

If my memory serves me correct, I may have used small black pointed sheet metal screws that have a little seperate ring around the top that the head of the screw fits snugly into.

When I went out this morning to look at mine, there was no play at all.....both front and back license plate holders were snug.

Good luck!

Last edited by itsZep; 10-21-05 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-21-05, 09:12 AM
MarcP
Driver

I'll take a look at mine again when I get home - thanks!
Old 10-21-05, 12:07 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Default confused

Ok... Now, I'm confused..... Mind you it has been 7 months, but I don't recall the front having any screws or brackets..... The dealer even asked me if I wanted him to drill into the front bumper since there was only a license plate spot... But no brackets.

Thus if memory serves me correct... My front plate is attached by two screws that were drilled right into the front bumper...

Did I miss something?
Old 10-24-05, 05:33 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

re: re: GX470 does not come with license plate bracket holder or pre-drilled holes

I think that was the way mine was also.

I believe there are little circles sort of stamped into the bumper plastic to act as guides as to where to drill the holes.

When my plates came in my delaer just drilled the holes in the appropriate spot, then I added the license plate holder a month or so later.
Old 10-31-05, 09:14 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I have used this website's sponsor and they offer a great Lexus Chrome License plate frame that I believe looks the best (link below):

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=33

They also give you a 10% Discount as indicated below on this Clublexus website:

Lexus-parts.com is one of the most extensive Lexus online stores and is backed by the largest Lexus parts department in the country. With over 16,000 part numbers currently in stock, we are able to ship parts the same day on most parts. As a gesture of our appreciation to our Lexus clients, we are offering a ten-percent discount to anyone that is a Club Lexus member. To help facilitate this discount, CL members are asked to enter a discount code during the checkout process. The current discount code is “CL911M”

Quick Reply: Chrome License Plate Frame