GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

SIRIUS/XM Integration 05-06

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-05, 07:04 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe the best solution is an ES kit plus a longer antenna lead

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
I thought the advantage of the ES330 kit is its simplicity. 1 cable, about 10 feet, for the NAV, Sirius receiver and existing plug, and no more. No wires to the amplifier and only the antenna lead to the receiver. Actually it is too simple. When I did NAV retrofit for my Mercedes, it was more complicated than this. All this for under $400, not bad. Mercedes Sirius receiver is at least $500-700 for parts, not including installation and reprograming of your car. Now my only complaint is too much good music and too little time.

John
which one can apparently get aftermarket if the windshield mount doesn't pan out. Really wish we had a definitive answer and plan.
Old 12-11-05, 08:01 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Originally Posted by JWS3
which one can apparently get aftermarket if the windshield mount doesn't pan out. Really wish we had a definitive answer and plan.
I know what you mean. When I pickup the receiver and the kit, I was praying the forum better be correct about this or else I am throwing money away. Thank god everything works so far. I did use an aftermarket Sirius antenna. I couldn't figure out how to mount the antenna that came with the kit.

John
Old 12-11-05, 08:23 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Interesting--a few follow ups, if I could:

I know what you mean. When I pickup the receiver and the kit, I was praying the forum better be correct about this or else I am throwing money away. Thank god everything works so far. I did use an aftermarket Sirius antenna. I couldn't figure out how to mount the antenna that came with the kit.

John

1) Where did you get the antenna?

2) Where did you run it and how? Was there much interior disassembly?

3) Did the ES kit come with full directions? Was it as easy as people here indicate?

4) Now that its done, how is everything? Any issues?

5) How did you acivate your account?

Thanks in advance for your input & help. The whole thing seems weird-why don;t they just MAKE A KIT FOR THE CAR??? Seems like an easy thing to do, but what do I know?

Jim
Old 12-12-05, 01:09 AM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Originally Posted by JWS3
1) Where did you get the antenna?

2) Where did you run it and how? Was there much interior disassembly?

3) Did the ES kit come with full directions? Was it as easy as people here indicate?

4) Now that its done, how is everything? Any issues?

5) How did you acivate your account?

Thanks in advance for your input & help. The whole thing seems weird-why don;t they just MAKE A KIT FOR THE CAR??? Seems like an easy thing to do, but what do I know?

Jim
1) I got the antenna from Bestbuy. It is the same antenna from my Sportster Replay

2) Only disassembly I did was around the NAV unit. I ran the cable under the trim piece on the front pasenger side of shift console. Antenna was mounted on the roof and the lead is run under weatherstriping and seams between the panels. I placed the Sirius receiver under the front passenger seat for now.

3) No instruction from the ES330 kit. And it is very easy once you get to the NAV unit.

4) System powers up normally and detect the satellite receiver automatically, and reception is quite good. The menus layout is not as comprehensive as my Sportster Replay but more than adequate.

5) I called Sirius to add this receiver to my existing account. I was told it would be $4.96/month on top of what I am paying now.

If you have done any kind of car radio installation or somewhat handy, this shouldn't be that difficult. It took me about 2 hours but I spent half of that time trying to figure out where to put the receiver. Go for it. If you like satellite radio like I do, you won't regret it/

John

P.S. To give you a reference, the dealer quoted me $529 for parts and labor. But I chose to do it myself.
Old 12-12-05, 04:03 AM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Part Numbers?

Hi--what are the part numbers you purchased? Thanks,
Old 12-12-05, 05:52 AM
silvergx
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone had something done at the dealer I am past that do it myself stuff on
new cars.
Old 12-12-05, 09:52 AM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Originally Posted by lepoch
Hi--what are the part numbers you purchased? Thanks,
Here are the part number for the receiver and the fit kit.

Sirius receiver part number---PTS31-00052
ES330 fit kit part number------PTS31-33051

John

Last edited by JohnAMG; 12-12-05 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 11:08 AM
Lexus Pro
Driver School Candidate

Default Xm Install On 05-06 Gx

Please Know that I am Extremely experienced in Xm installs on all of the Sat ready cars in the lexus lineup. I've just tried the install on a bluetooth equipped 06GX470 with the traffic button on the screen, and it does not work. My question is the kit required for the install A 05 LX kit or 06 Lx? the kits are different due to the rear controls are supported on a 06 LX but not on a 05 LX.. Can somone verify the year kit required.. Thanks alot guys..
Old 12-15-05, 03:53 PM
Tin Star
Rookie

All I can verify is that the 05 LX kit worked on my 05 GX.
Old 12-15-05, 08:26 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexus Pro
Please Know that I am Extremely experienced in Xm installs on all of the Sat ready cars in the lexus lineup. I've just tried the install on a bluetooth equipped 06GX470 with the traffic button on the screen, and it does not work. My question is the kit required for the install A 05 LX kit or 06 Lx? the kits are different due to the rear controls are supported on a 06 LX but not on a 05 LX.. Can somone verify the year kit required.. Thanks alot guys..
Does the LX kit comes in NAV/Mark L. and non-NAV kit? For the ES330 kit I had to specified the NAV/ML kit in order to work.. My ES330 kit is working great.

John
Old 12-16-05, 07:09 AM
Lexus Pro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tin Star
All I can verify is that the 05 LX kit worked on my 05 GX.
Thats what I needed to know. So for your info the 06 lx kit will not work.. The rear control that comes with a 06 lx kit does not come on the 05 kit. That must make a difference. Also according to my lexus part man, the 05 kit is discontinued. I'm gonna look further into that
Old 12-17-05, 06:34 AM
JohnAMG
Rookie

This is the antenna that came with the ES330 kit. I didn't use it and used the Sirius aftermarket antenna instead. It is quite large and I couldn't figure out where to put this elephant size antenna. Any ideas guys?

John
Attached Thumbnails SIRIUS/XM Integration 05-06-dscn0165.jpg  
Old 12-17-05, 10:13 AM
Tin Star
Rookie

Also according to my lexus part man, the 05 kit is discontinued. I'm gonna look further into that
I was told the same but they found one for me.
Old 12-17-05, 12:39 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the antenna that came with the ES330 kit. I didn't use it and used the Sirius aftermarket antenna instead. It is quite large and I couldn't figure out where to put this elephant size antenna. Any ideas guys?

John
That thing is supposed to get mounted to the inside of the front windshield next to the auto wiper sensor behind the rear view mirror. Thats the reason I don't want the ES kit. The LX kit comes with the antenna that gets mounted on the roof where it will get the best reception.
Old 12-17-05, 02:24 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default True, but isn't the LX kit supposedly harder to install? (m)

Originally Posted by BobsGX
That thing is supposed to get mounted to the inside of the front windshield next to the auto wiper sensor behind the rear view mirror. Thats the reason I don't want the ES kit. The LX kit comes with the antenna that gets mounted on the roof where it will get the best reception.
I recall reading here that the wiring with the LX kit is much more difficult, while the ES kit is pretty much plug & play.

Perhaps the best solution is an ES kit and aftermarket antenna, at least until Lexus gets is head out of its butt and offers a "real" kit, so to speak.

Quick Reply: SIRIUS/XM Integration 05-06