GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

SIRIUS/XM Integration 05-06

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 07:27 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone please confirm that the ES330 XM kit 86100-0W100 or 0W101 has worked on a 04-06 GX470 with NAV/ML/RESE/Bluetooth. This would help me greatly thank you.
Old 10-04-06, 05:19 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dr.2K
I have a 06 GX470 with NAV/ML/RESE/Bluetooth. After reading ALL of the past threads on the Sat (xm and sirius) integration to the factory sudio system this is what I have come up with as it applies to my GX.

1. The 05 LX470 XM kit is no longer available - part number 86100-0W120
2. The 06 LX470 XM kit will not work due to different wiring harness - 86100-0W200
3. The 05-06 ES330 XM kit (only one version as there were no ML/non ML versions when I asked the parts dept) part number 86100-0W100 has been REPLACED by part number 86100-0W101.

So I ordered the new updated ES330 XM kit (86100-0W101) and will see if this will work.

A suggestion if I may. I think one of the older memebrs or moderators with first hand knowledge of this situation should have a faq. sticky thread stating which xm/sirius kits will work with which years GX's. That would provide great help to those that are new and asking the same old questions again not to mention wasting alot of time having to read thru all the past threads from searches.

Alright here is the update as to my XM integration in my 06 GX470 with RSES/NAV/BT/ML.

I ordered both parts (ES kit 86100-0W101 and 05 LX kit 86100-0W120). I was very suprised to see that both kits were IDENTICAL! Same exact wiring harness (length and plugs), tuner and antenna (a bit smaller and shorter in the ES kit but otherwise the same). The installer (3rd party vendor used by my dealer) did a great job. We ended up installing the ES kit and everything works like a charm minus the 10 character limit. I am very very happy with the install and not having a seperate piece installed on the dash. The antenna was mounted in the rear driver's side right next to and at the end of the roof rail.

So whoever is interested in the Sirius/XM integration in their 06 GX I hope this info helps.
Old 10-04-06, 06:22 PM
peterh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you got it up and running! I was suprised to read that the wiring harness length were the same for both the ES and LX kits - from what I had learned, the LX harness was significantly longer and the ES had a strange window-mounted antenna that went on the inside windshield. I am wondering if Lexus changed the ES kit. Good to know anyway that the ES workd out just fine.

Curious, are you having the same volume issue with the new xx101 ES kit? It was well documented that volume levels for SAT were about "10 clicks" lower than for CD or Radio on earlier installs. I might consider getting the new module if that problem has been corrected on the updated unit.
Old 10-04-06, 07:12 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Hi Peterh,

So far no troubles with the volume. It remains the same thru all the audio modes. Initially when the installer hooked the unit in and turned on the xm and rear dvd unit both audio's were coming in thru the speaker, but after cycling thru the audio modes once the system stablized and the dvd audio is not overriding with the sat audio and all is working as it should. We tried to recreate the initial dvd/sat audio kink many times and it did not happen again.

The installer was very suprised but happy to see the system working as if this works out he will have the ability to offer this sat option to other lexus owners with RSES. He has had many sleepless nights trying to get sat radio working for lexus owners with RSES.

I will update in about a month to see if any quirks come up. Thanks for all your assitance peterh.
Old 10-05-06, 05:01 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Default 10 Character Limit

CoastalEtech has an '07 XM kit that displays sixteen characters. It appears that the receiver has a software upgrade that allows for more characters to be displayed.
Old 10-05-06, 06:58 AM
peterh
Rookie

Dr. 2K, thanks for the info, I am going to take the $ gamble and try the ES kit hoping the volume issue is fixed. My system works totally fine, but I hate the fact that the SAT volume is lower than the other sources. I am hoping I can just swap the modules and not have to re-run the wiring harness. I cant imagine the harness would make any difference, but we will see.

also from above: I believe the coastaletech system that displays all the characters is only for GEN 5 systems (07's GX's) It does not unlock the characters on 05-06 GX's.

Last edited by peterh; 10-05-06 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-05-06, 04:13 PM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Originally Posted by peterh
Dr. 2K, thanks for the info, I am going to take the $ gamble and try the ES kit hoping the volume issue is fixed. My system works totally fine, but I hate the fact that the SAT volume is lower than the other sources. I am hoping I can just swap the modules and not have to re-run the wiring harness. I cant imagine the harness would make any difference, but we will see.

also from above: I believe the coastaletech system that displays all the characters is only for GEN 5 systems (07's GX's) It does not unlock the characters on 05-06 GX's.

Works fine on my '05 GX
Old 10-06-06, 04:00 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Well I spoke a bit too soon. I have to report that the volume is NOT the same. I am sorry Peterh, but after listening in much more length today I have to say that the volume is lower on the sat then on the other audio modes. But by no means am I disapointed in the system as it is not that great of a difference. I can say it is somewhere between 7-10 clicks on the volume as you stated peterh. I apologize for my premature report but I wanted to report this so if you had not ordered the unit yet you can have a more informed decision.

Also, it seems the kink of the overlapping audio of the sat and dvd is still present when the RSES dvd is turned on while the sat is already on. But this is only initially and can be overcome by cycling once thru the mode selections on the steering wheel.

Even with these 2 minor nuances (3rd can be the 10 character limit) I am very happy with the xm integration. It is still a better option then having a seperate module mounted on the dash or anywhere else in the car. Also, the reception is very very very good, even in my garage or a public multilevel parking garage to boot!