GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

my new GX isn't so new anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 08:47 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default my new GX isn't so new anymore...

and man it was fun poppin her cherry! Sold my 4runner a few months ago, and bought a GX.
well, the whole "new car" thing got old really fast. and i had to see the KDSS work offroad. For a stock suv it did amazing! one thing i couldn't get over was how level the truck was (side to side) when the axels were fully flexed.
the only main concern i had was the clearence, but i'll be ready for it next time,lifted and revo'd

some pics

Old 10-27-05, 11:15 PM
lyxxsx1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice pics! Thanks for sharing.

Did you replace your fog lights/bulbs? How come they are so yellow. I like it! I replaced my fog with PIAA H3 Ion Crystal bulds (http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H3.html) , but they are no as nicely yellow as yours.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-05, 12:48 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

lyxxsx1,
i'm using Nokya yellow foglight bulbs. appearence wise, they're nice, but output is not that great.
they are cheap tho

dan
Old 10-28-05, 05:56 AM
TexGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats not mud, this is mud.

Glad to see someone else not scared to take this truck off-road. You can search and find my trip to Sedona Arizona where I really had a go time.

I agree about the clearance. Fourwheeler magazine lifted a GX, you may want to look at how they did it. I know with KDSS You can not just do anything. Look forward to hearing how it works.

TexGX
Attached Thumbnails my new GX isn't so new anymore...-alexus-stuck.jpg  
Old 10-28-05, 07:27 AM
r210
Driver School Candidate

nice pics guys.
Old 10-28-05, 07:41 AM
tnguyenmdc
Driver School Candidate

How did you get the black pearl emblem on your car? Did it come that way, or you have the dealer put them on after you purchased the vehicle. If you bought them, can you tell me what they cost?
Old 10-28-05, 08:23 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

texgx,
lovin the color! that was my first choice but the dealer didn't have any sport packages in that color. are you stuck in that pic?
as for a lift, 4wheeler did a half *** job imho. i did not like the way they chopped the front shock instead of just using a 4th gen 4runner spacer lift, and all they did to the rear was just set the rear at "high" position. that isn't a permanent or realistic way to lift a truck. my plan is to buy a 2.5" daystar suspension spacer kit (4th gen 4runner)for the front and override the rear from coming down at certain speeds. i'll keep you guys updated.

tnguyenmdc,
i'm glad the emblems pass the visual. i painted them myself using testors black pearl spray paint which can be purchased at most hobby shops. it was super easy,super cheap,very durable(as long as you prep them right) and didn't even scratch the wallet. don't buy the real ones, it is honestly ridiculous what lexus charges for them.

dan
Old 10-28-05, 11:53 AM
TexGX
Rookie

[ are you stuck in that pic?

Yes, yes I was. I knew that I would get stuck in that spot, but we had a group out so I figured someone could pull me out. IF YOU DON'T GET STUCK YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH! I am very interested in seeing how the lift goes. I have been looking into sliders for the GX. Hanna Off-road makes some for the fourth gen 4Runner. As soon as my Cross Terrain wear out, I plan on BFG ATs.

Last edited by TexGX; 10-28-05 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-28-05, 12:07 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Awesome pics! I love your BP emblems and taillights too! Post more pics if you can!
Old 10-28-05, 01:37 PM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Where did you take those pictures at? Seems like a great place to take a GX or LX.

Originally Posted by laziiiek4
and man it was fun poppin her cherry! Sold my 4runner a few months ago, and bought a GX.
well, the whole "new car" thing got old really fast. and i had to see the KDSS work offroad. For a stock suv it did amazing! one thing i couldn't get over was how level the truck was (side to side) when the axels were fully flexed.
the only main concern i had was the clearence, but i'll be ready for it next time,lifted and revo'd

some pics

Old 10-29-05, 08:54 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Trexus,
i took the pics at rowher flats up in Santa Clarita. Definitely a great place for a LX/GX.
The good thing is there are alternate paths for every difficult part of the trail. So if you didn't want to go through certain paths, you can just go right around. If any GX owners (or any suv/truck owners) want to go, i think a offroad meet would be awesome. Rowher would be an awesome place to have it since you have path options from easy (fire road style) to moderate.

dan
Old 10-29-05, 09:20 AM
GXPrado
Driver

Nice stuff!
I took another GX owner up there a while ago.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&page=1&pp=15

The Sierra Pelona trail is the one most will want to take, it is easy and has enough challenges for a stock GX owner to be entertained. It intersects w/ Rowher and acts as the bypass trail Laziiek4 spoke about.

Laziiiek4 is smart- it's always good insurance to take the running boards off. It is very easy to smash them up and into the rocker panels when you least expect it. At the very least, it's more work for others, or yourself, to spot over obstacles trying to avoid touching them.

That said, I don't think anyone will have issues on Sierra Pelona w/ 100% stock GX's. It's just a nice trail w/ a great view at the top.

oh, that picture of the passenger grabbing the OS bar and actiing scared is funny

Laziiiek4, what was the condition of the Rowher trail now, after the rains? More rutted or ok? I plan to go up there in a couple weeks- after Suf n Turf.

You all should go too!! Check it out at Realcruiser.com

Last edited by GXPrado; 10-29-05 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-29-05, 04:20 PM
TexGX
Rookie

Laziiiek4,

How did you take your running boards off with out destroying the painted plastic clips. I tried to take mine off, but could not pop the clips without messing them up. You help would be great.

TexGX
Old 10-29-05, 06:59 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

gxprado,
rowher was pretty good, it had signs of wear from rain, the ruts weren't too bad, there were a lot of rocks but easily avoidable.
lol, my friend isn't acting scared, he's flippin me off!

texgx,
i found it to be difficult at first too. the key is to use a semi long narrow flat head screwdriver. (narrow enough to fit into the side slot of the clips)if you have two even better. go into the clips sideways with your screw driver and press kinda hard towards the middle til it releases the clip. some places you wont be able to get both into each side, that's where you're gonna have to do the same, but pry back and forth.
be patient with it, once you get it, the rest come off fast since you'll see how they work.
there are 2 clips that cant be seen as well near the front. those come off once the bolts and clips have been removed and all you do is push the running board towards the front of the car.
don't forget about the one pop clip in the wheel well, and unplug the light in the middle of the board.

let me know if you have any more questions

dan

Last edited by laziiiek4; 10-29-05 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-29-05, 07:56 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

are those jdm tailights they look good.

Quick Reply: my new GX isn't so new anymore...