GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Owner Says Hi - long story

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-05, 09:52 PM
pelucidor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Says Hi - long story

I've been hanging around CL for a few months as I am planning to get a GS or IS350 next year to replace my Infiniti G35. For the last few months my wife has been making unhappy sounds about our '02 Acura MDX (lease expires soon, but instead of looking at SUVs for her I have been obsessing over sport sedans for myself for late 2006), so we test drove RXs, GXs, MLs etc a few months back. Our needs were simple - safety, luxury, reliability, 0-60 in 8 secs or less (me), and lots of space behind the 2nd row seats for our two 90lb dogs. We liked the GX (except the barn door) but I wanted to check out the Sport package (I read a lot about KDSS here) which is very rare in the North East.

At the recent Taste of Lexus driving event I finaly got to try a GX with Sport on an autocross track - this is what I wrote back in September on the IS350 forum:
GX470 with Sport (includes KDSS) - I have driven non-KDSS GX470s on the road and I found the KDSS here to be amazing. I hammered this huge bus like you wouldn't believe - threw it very hard into every corner. Much less roll and dive than I expected and the smooth torquey V8 was a perfect match for the transmission - always seemed to be in the right gear and never any real drama - also quiet at all times. Also accelerates fast enough for something of this size and weight. Brilliant vehicle in extremis and definitely on the list to replace my wife's Acura MDX in the next 4 months. There was some other stuff I wrote about the IS350 and BMW 330i etc that is not germaine to this post, but I digress...

Sadly every dealer I tried in PA or NJ had nothing in stock or expected in the near future with KDSS or Sport. On top of that the lease price on a well equipped vehicle (NAV, Rear Entertainment, Sport, Rear Spoiler, ubiquitous Third Row etc) with MSRP of $56k was much too high for my wallet. I told my ladyship that come January she could look forward to another MDX (with some extra gadgets like NAV and RES) which she grudgingly agreed to.

Suddenly last Monday a large dealership in NJ called up to say they could get the car we wanted in black (wife's preferred color that I had requested) and did I have a budget in mind. Fate was too cruel - the exact vehicle we wanted but I knew we couldn't get it in my budget of $700 per month. I threw out my wishlist - under $700 per month INCLUDING the 9% sales/lease tax for PA, with $0 down and of course 15k miles over 36 months on a $56k MSRP vehicle. Tough deal to put together, said the guy, but maybe doable (note 2 other dealers a few weeks earlier had quoted over $900 per month for the same deal on an 'hypothetical' GX they didn't have). He said he would call back.

The day went by with no call. On Tuesday afternoon he finally called - he could only do $695 per month with inception costs (no cap cost reduction i.e. nothing down) of $1670. Yippee - I immediately countered with $680 but he stood fast with some noise about already being $300 below invoice, special lease deal for the month with 0.002 money factor etc on a 2006 model. I thought 'why push it - he is giving me what I want and salesmen have to make a living too' and said OK. The price was about $80 per month more than my best quote on a loaded 2005 MDX - well worth the difference.

Then the nerves set in - 'is this really a 2006 model', 'what is the exact MSRP again', 'is this a demo vehicle - exactly how many miles are on it (25)', 'break down the inception costs (no advertising fee or other crap)' and so on. Every response was good. Finally he said he needed a deposit to hold the car until I looked at it. He faxed me paperwork at my office, I faxed it back (credit check etc) with the intention of picking up the car that night after I got a friend to give me a ride to the dealership 70 miles away.

INTERLUDE You may have noticed, in this rather long tale, that I didn't mention informing my wife about the GX deal. I had so little expectation of getting the car or the deal I wanted that I didn't inform her at all - and suddenly I had this once-in-a-lifetime chance to spring one of those cheesy Christmas Lexus commercials where the spouse is surprised by a new car in the garage. She was still waiting on the new MDX in January...

Back to the story - so naturally my friend arrives late, and as we pull away from my office his son in the back throws up inside the car. Trip is off while we clean up for the next hour or so. I call dealership and apologize that I can't make it that evening, and also I am busy Wed night too. Salesman offers to drop car off for me at my office the next day. Car arrives Wed afternoon and I spend an hour going over it (first time I am seeing it) before signing papers - everything as promised and no Finance guy to sell me underseal etc - wonderful experience and the 2nd time I have bought a new car over the phone.

Gingerly drive home (leave my G35 at work) and quietly park in garage. Rush inside and tell my wife I had a bit of an accident and scraped the side of the G35 rather badly. After asking if I was hurt (nice of her) she rushes off to check the damage whilst I sit waiting smugly in the kitchen. Then the scream of surprise. Priceless.
Old 10-31-05, 07:03 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its nice to read a buying experience like this. Congrats on the new GX and I hope you and your wife enjoy the vehicle.
Old 10-31-05, 09:45 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Congratulations!

I would love to do that to my wife someday...
Old 10-31-05, 10:02 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool And now for the encore .....

Your story is great, and the whole situation worked out well for you. Congrats on getting what you wanted, and for what you wanted. Now how are you going to TOP that for the holidays.
I think your going to enjoy what you got, especially after all the work you put into finding and securing the deal. Have fun with your new toy, "IF" you ever get to drive it.
Old 10-31-05, 11:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I hope my wife doesn't see this post.
Old 10-31-05, 11:53 AM
pelucidor
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the congrats. We were really fortunate, and the GX is wonderful as expected. Only 750 more miles until my wife finishes the break-in period and then I can take it for a drive. Only negatives are the little holes drilled in the front bumper for a plate (not required in PA) which I have already called bumperplugs.com about, and the fact that our little girl no longer wants to ride in my G35 due to the DVD player in the GX.

ENCORE: For Christmas I threatened to get her some all-season floor mats and a cargo tray (note I actually got her a vacuum cleaner for our 2nd wedding anniversary!). I am pretty cheap and practically minded most of the time...
Old 10-31-05, 12:27 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
Thanks for the congrats. We were really fortunate, and the GX is wonderful as expected. Only 750 more miles until my wife finishes the break-in period and then I can take it for a drive. Only negatives are the little holes drilled in the front bumper for a plate (not required in PA) which I have already called bumperplugs.com about, and the fact that our little girl no longer wants to ride in my G35 due to the DVD player in the GX.

ENCORE: For Christmas I threatened to get her some all-season floor mats and a cargo tray (note I actually got her a vacuum cleaner for our 2nd wedding anniversary!). I am pretty cheap and practically minded most of the time...
Now my wife would complain about the vacuum cleaner as not being a "personal" gift. There's no matching your surprise but I did get the wife a pair of diamond earrings she had looked at a few months earlier ( less than the cost of the KDSS option) for a Christmas surprise.

BTW, I have the all season mats and they are really nice. I have been without a front license plate on my vehicles for years, though required in California......fourteen years on a Toyota Supra, thirteen on an Acura Legend, five on a GS400, two on an ES330 and nineteen months on the GX. In every case, I gave the salesperson multiple warnings not to drill any holes in the front bumper. My luck should be running out any day now.

Thanks for sharing your story and have fun with the GX.
Old 10-31-05, 01:42 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Great story . It almost does sound like on of those "December to Remember" commercials.

Enjoy the car. You will love it.
Old 10-31-05, 09:18 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Why is it so hard for NJ dealers to get a Sports Package Version of the GX to consumers without having us wait for months? I remember when I first purchased my 2005 GX470, I wanted the Sports Package, but my local NJ dealer did not have it and it would take months to come in as a special order and of course it came with everything that I probably didn't need. So I settled for a Non-Sport Version, which I am very happy with but would have liked the KDSS.

I could find fully loaded 4runner limiteds with X-REAS with no problem (I know different technology, but similar concept in terms of sportier handling).

Either way I am very happy with this vehicle and my only grip is are the 17" Factory rims on my version and the Sport Version should have had 18" sportier rims!
Old 11-01-05, 05:35 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

LexGuy,

It is because ALL of the dealers got together as a "GROUP" and did a group buy for ALL of the cars to get a better discount. The group buy decision was NOT to include KDSS that is WHY all of the dealers are telling you it's very hard to get in and when they do it is a special order, will take months and won't have the "discount" associated with it...
Old 11-01-05, 06:51 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
LexGuy,

It is because ALL of the dealers got together as a "GROUP" and did a group buy for ALL of the cars to get a better discount. The group buy decision was NOT to include KDSS that is WHY all of the dealers are telling you it's very hard to get in and when they do it is a special order, will take months and won't have the "discount" associated with it...
OK and understood, but I remember being quoted up to 4-5 months to get the sports package, of course this is when the first 2005's came out. Even BMW to custom order your vehicle is only 2, 3 months at the latest.
Old 11-01-05, 11:01 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

wow, what a fantastic story! almost brought tears to my eyes (don't worry, i'm female!)

congrats on the purchase, glad that it worked out!

cargo tray and mats would be a nice christmas gift IMO. we have the Lexus tray in the RX and it's perfect. has all the cutouts for the things in the trunk so that it doesn't interfere with the cargo net, etc. don't forget to order from lexus-parts.com, you can get a CL discount.

p.s. my hubby and i got a dyson vacuum cleaner last year, and believe me, it was a lot more exciting than i thought it ever could be. after you've lived with crappy vacuums, getting a nice one is actually fun!
Old 11-01-05, 11:04 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

p.p.s. we have the bumper plugs on the SC, and it turned out great. it's the next best thing once you've had a dealer drill holes in the bumper.
Old 11-01-05, 11:44 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Lexguy,

The GX470 and I believe one or two more vehicles from the Lexus line-up are built directly in Lexus' flagship factory in Japan. So it's a slow boat ride from Japan to stateside, hence the main reason why the dealers decided to get together and do a "group: buy...

I had a very VERY long talk with my local dealer regarding all of this...

As for the BMW, I don't know perhaps a true custom order wasn't needed? Meaning the specific options and color of the BMW in question was readily available from another dealer's stock?

'nuff siad, I don't want to "hijack" this thread!

Beautiful story, perhaps this should be submitted to Lexus corporate HQ for inclusion into one of their future commercials???!?
Old 11-01-05, 06:09 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Talking

Great story and welcome to the GX family pelucidor

Lexguy, I was in the same situation as you also. Got the GX in January 05 (actually trying to get it in Dec 04) and was told the sports would come 4-5months later, so we opt for the non-sports.
No regrets either

Quick Reply: New Owner Says Hi - long story