GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Offset for 22 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 11:55 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JWS3
surrounding environs why have a large truck? The only reason I am considering one is because of the hills, snow and more rural character of my area. Having a truck in NYC seems, at least to me, like wearing army boots to go jogging. You can do it, but with unnecessary difficulty. Again, no insults intended as the whole concept is to me utterly puzzling. You may think I am nuts for thinking as I do!
I am reminded why NYC is to me personally of the "nice place to visit, but don't want to live there" variety. I am no fan of "style" and its ever shifting likes/dislikes. The whole concept of "style" or "fashion" seems to me at least like little more than a clever marketing ploy to seperate people from their money.
And, I remain skeptical as to whether so much larger wheels are a good thing. I've read many. articles on the issue and spoken with the pros at the Tirerack- The consensus is universal- These vehicles are NOT designed for extra large wheels (defined as anything over 1-2" more than stock) which are universally much heavier and place much greater unsprung weight on the suspension/steering, etc. Test after test shows significant degrades in steering, handling, etc. I have yet to see any hard data indicating to the contrary. I'll take empirical data & tests over subjective feelings any day. Do youhave any links to data/tests indicating that handling is unchanged or improved with superlarge wheels? If I am wrong I'd like to know and will readily so admit.
JWS3 dude I don't have any data or test Im just telling you from my own experince on drive the GX with the 22" and the OEM wheels. so I guess you are right dude .
Old 11-16-05, 01:06 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Check out this article:

http://www.torquecars.co.uk/Tuning/alloy-wheels.php

Lower profile tires are noisier and due to their low flexing they give excellent handling characteristics.
Bigger wheels are often heavier so you should compare the weights of alloy wheels with the standard wheels you have. A rotating wheel will have a gyroscope effect and resist a change of direction so handling can be slightly affected with different wheels.

So I guess you are both right. Personally, I think that wider tires improves handling more than bigger rims. 55 is probably as low as you want to go in aspect ratio if you are driving a truck. To improve handling, a set od Bilstein shocks might be a better investment.
Old 11-16-05, 02:24 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the input. My concern here is not to bust chops (m)

Originally Posted by The G Man
Check out this article:

http://www.torquecars.co.uk/Tuning/alloy-wheels.php

Lower profile tires are noisier and due to their low flexing they give excellent handling characteristics.
Bigger wheels are often heavier so you should compare the weights of alloy wheels with the standard wheels you have. A rotating wheel will have a gyroscope effect and resist a change of direction so handling can be slightly affected with different wheels.

So I guess you are both right. Personally, I think that wider tires improves handling more than bigger rims. 55 is probably as low as you want to go in aspect ratio if you are driving a truck. To improve handling, a set od Bilstein shocks might be a better investment.
but to shed light on the issue. As I recall, slightly larger wheels (+ 1-2" at most) can help, but beyond that things go downhill due to much heavier wheels, etc. Ride, handling, and even wear all get worse with excessively low profile tires, while off road ability goes to near zero. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a truck based vehicle...... Either way, I am more likely to be swayed by data/test results than seat of the pants subjective feel.
Aesthetics, of course, are subjective, but for me the negative stereotypes are far too powerful to consider them even if there was marginal improvement once we get to the 22"+ level.
Do you have any experience with Bilsteins and/or different tires for the GX??
Old 11-16-05, 02:59 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Jws3

I agree with you 100%, to me, +2 is a really radical upgrade already. But, what you considered negative stereotypes may be another person's wow factor, look at it this way, some people think it looks good to buy pants that is falling off your ***.
I must admit, most people that owns the GX have done their research and generally a older and a well informed group. There is always going to be a few out there that wants the 24" rims or have their suspension jump up and down at a stop light to show off, but those GX owners are the exceptions.
I take back what I say about install Bilsteins to improve the GX's handling, If I wanted my GX to handle better, I would have gotten the sport package, more bang for the buck. But the GX handles fine for my driving style, plus I would hate to ruin that nice comfortable ride with stiffer shocks. I had Bilsteins on my Grand Cherokee, they do improve handling quite a bit, more so than any rim or tire upgarde could provide, the draw back to Bilsteins are they ride stiffer.