GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Offset for 22 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 02:20 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Offset for 22 inch wheels

Im thinking about getting a 22 inch wheels. Tire size.. 295/45/22..... ive seen some nasty offset fitment on GX before.. i want aggressive look that will try to fill in all the wheel well without messing around with the suspension. What offset is required??

I was thinking about Zinik 06 model.... anyone??
Old 11-13-05, 05:32 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please post pics and how it goes when you get your new wheels.

I want to get custom wheels too, but keep hearing about problems with sensor lights.....ect...... when someone changes to custom rims.

That Zinik wheel site is cool.......those center-cap spin-lites are pretty wild.

There are no pics of the GX470 on Zinik gallery is there?

I find that is often the case.....it's harder to find pics of the GX with custom rims.....
I have bought a few DUB Magazines and have yet to see a GX.

Thus far......these are my favorite of any member that has custom rims.
His user name is "mm25fx35".

But it soumds like you want alot more of the wheel well filled up.

Last edited by itsZep; 11-13-05 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-13-05, 12:42 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

ive seen more aggresive look with 22 inches.... the wheels on that truck doesnt do it for me,,,

I know that i have to change the overall diameter of the stock setup in order to achieve the fuller look,, ive seen it done.. but no local shops are willing to try,,,
Old 11-13-05, 04:59 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah....thats my favorite.....but if it was everybody's favorite......Gosh the world would be pretty boring.

When you get yours be sure and let us know how it goes and maybe post some pics.

Best of luck on your search and achieving the "look" you're after.

=(Zep)=
Old 11-13-05, 05:57 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One question: Why??? (m)

It is well known that significantly larger than stock wheels have essentially NO positive benefits. For example, ride quality is generally far worse, handling suffers (both on/off road), unsprung weight sharply increases and the potential for wheel/suspension damage increases quite a bit.
On the aesthetic side you run a substantial risk of looking like an extra from a (shudder.......) rap video. Is that REALLY what you want?? The look seldom appeals to anyone over the age of 19, especially if said person has a job.
Its your vehicle, so do what you like, but at least be aware that there are definite downsides.
Old 11-13-05, 07:49 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey, who pimped my wheels!!!!!
Old 11-15-05, 06:58 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

JWS.. harsh word bro.

Im not getting spinners and putting lambo doors on the GX like the rap stars (most of them do that to Escalade or Range ect).... i am seeking for the aggressive look on the truck.. a fuller rim/tire combo..... Ive seen 22s and even 24s on this truck and ya.. i chose to go with 22 cuz 24 looks just too big... im not asking alot.. but i am asking and looking for something that suits my taste.
Old 11-15-05, 08:37 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Not try to be harsh- no offense meant (m)

Originally Posted by kormaster
JWS.. harsh word bro.

Im not getting spinners and putting lambo doors on the GX like the rap stars (most of them do that to Escalade or Range ect).... i am seeking for the aggressive look on the truck.. a fuller rim/tire combo..... Ive seen 22s and even 24s on this truck and ya.. i chose to go with 22 cuz 24 looks just too big... im not asking alot.. but i am asking and looking for something that suits my taste.
But be aware that wheels of this size present SIGNIFICANT and well documented handling/suspension/functional downsides. Aside freom subjective aesthetic issues, there are no upsides that I can think of. Check with the Tirerack and they'll fill you in.
As for the aesthetic concerns, I recognize that you personally make like the look and can respect that. Again, however, be aware that to many people extra large shiny wheels connote a rather negative image irrespective of the losses in hamdling/ride. Is this fair? Probably not. But its likely true, hence my query to you.
If after reviewing all the options you still want to go ahead then contact the Tirerack-very knowledgeable.
Old 11-16-05, 08:35 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry ,JWS3 you are totally wrong bro. Have you drove a GX with 22"? man let me tell you the ride is better and the handling is more agressive .Our GX my wife drives it must of the time.she is an agressive driver she drives this truck oh boy like you won't believe man and now she has complaint cause I put the OEM back on for the winter.The look and the performance with 22" is excellent don't knock it till you try it . https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179142

Last edited by angelslex; 11-16-05 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-16-05, 08:53 AM
angelslex
Instructor

More 22" , look at that silver GX with those 22" you can beat that style regardless if you rapper or not. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=angelslex
Old 11-16-05, 09:01 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Default I'm with JWS on this

I understand the desire to "pimp-out your ride", but never understood why you would throw big heavy wheels on a true, off-road biased truck? The GX has a ladder frame, solid rear axle and all the off-road hardware. Putting Chrome 22" wheels with pure summer-based street tires is akin to a mountain man wearing Sketchers or Puma street shoes. They might look OK, but it ain't right.

And, I would love to see a formal test of a GX with 24" wheels, OE with Cross-Terrains, and FWIW-Revo's in the OE side. I have a tough time believing handling, braking, ride and acceleration is positively impacted by 22-24" wheels. Otherwise all the BBK and suspension vendors (Baer, Stoptech, Eibach) are committing false advertising.

This is not meant as a rant or attack, just my opinion.
Old 11-16-05, 09:19 AM
angelslex
Instructor

bgsntth I know is not an attack but dude where the hell do you live in the mountains? We live in New York bro where style is everything. Im not planning to take my GX out in the mountains and Im not giving my opinion on 24" cause I did not have the chance to drove one with 24" but have drove a lot of GM and Fords trucks with 24" and they all need the a big brake kit. Im just giving you my and my wife's opinions on the GX with my 22" .
Old 11-16-05, 11:08 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Hey Angel,

Nope, don't live in the mountains, but do regularly go off-road. Big Sur

I'm admittedly more of a traditionalist ,"functional mods to compliment the nature of the vehicle". Big Chrome wheels don't bother me too much on an Escalade, MDX, X5 etc., but on a truck like a GX it's sort of a paradox.
Old 11-16-05, 11:10 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Serious question for Angleslex: If you live in NYC or its (m)

Originally Posted by angelslex
bgsntth I know is not an attack but dude where the hell do you live in the mountains? We live in New York bro where style is everything. Im not planning to take my GX out in the mountains and Im not giving my opinion on 24" cause I did not have the chance to drove one with 24" but have drove a lot of GM and Fords trucks with 24" and they all need the a big brake kit. Im just giving you my and my wife's opinions on the GX with my 22" .
surrounding environs why have a large truck? The only reason I am considering one is because of the hills, snow and more rural character of my area. Having a truck in NYC seems, at least to me, like wearing army boots to go jogging. You can do it, but with unnecessary difficulty. Again, no insults intended as the whole concept is to me utterly puzzling. You may think I am nuts for thinking as I do!
I am reminded why NYC is to me personally of the "nice place to visit, but don't want to live there" variety. I am no fan of "style" and its ever shifting likes/dislikes. The whole concept of "style" or "fashion" seems to me at least like little more than a clever marketing ploy to seperate people from their money.
And, I remain skeptical as to whether so much larger wheels are a good thing. I've read many. articles on the issue and spoken with the pros at the Tirerack- The consensus is universal- These vehicles are NOT designed for extra large wheels (defined as anything over 1-2" more than stock) which are universally much heavier and place much greater unsprung weight on the suspension/steering, etc. Test after test shows significant degrades in steering, handling, etc. I have yet to see any hard data indicating to the contrary. I'll take empirical data & tests over subjective feelings any day. Do youhave any links to data/tests indicating that handling is unchanged or improved with superlarge wheels? If I am wrong I'd like to know and will readily so admit.
Old 11-16-05, 11:48 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Hey Angel,

Nope, don't live in the mountains, but do regularly go off-road. Big Sur

I'm admittedly more of a traditionalist ,"functional mods to compliment the nature of the vehicle". Big Chrome wheels don't bother me too much on an Escalade, MDX, X5 etc., but on a truck like a GX it's sort of a paradox.
What is the differences on those trucks and our GX (remember we have a pimp out Toyota 4runner ) they are great trucks as well. I understand if you go off road you can't use 20" or 22"but I don't take my truck off road.

Quick Reply: Offset for 22 inch wheels