GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Ordered (finally) an '06 GX- and supposedly a "rare" one at that. (more)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 06:49 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered (finally) an '06 GX- and supposedly a "rare" one at that. (more)

Took a long ride up to a distant dealer for a full test drive and had an interesting experience.

We first drove a non KDSS version liked it . Right up to the first curve. Ugh--the truck just leaned and understeered like an old John Deere. We ruled it out and in so doing mentioned to Nikki "too bad you don't have a KDSS equipped one to test". She searched quite a bit and found the ONE they had available.
Wow-what a difference. Night and day. Handling was far better. Of course, since I like Savannah and white, which don''t get the sports pkge but, at least in theory, have KDSS available. I greatly preferred Savannah to the older "Dorado Gold" as it is more like champagne and not, well, "gold", which I never cared for. Knowing its rarity I thought "Oh, well, nobody'll have that, might as well look elsewhere.
The saleswoman checks and double checks her computer and actually finds on an incoming boat a fully loaded Savannah w/ KDSS and pretty much every other option. And--here's the kicker-- They price it @ $500 over invoice and give me an all too rare fair deal on my trade.
They got a deposit then and there. I am told that its reserved for me and will be here in another 2-3 weeks. Of course, I'll fully believe it when I see it..... My cynical side says I go so favorable a deal due to slacking demand for V8 guzzlers in a few years but I'll take a chance. Lexus has a well earned rep for value and durability.
It'll be weird getting out of an MB sedan, but the utility and go anywhere ability will be most welcome.
Old 11-23-05, 09:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you buy it from Lexus of Watertown?
Old 11-23-05, 10:56 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Early congrats to you JWS3.
Even I'm feeling a little excited about this also, please keep us posted.
Old 11-23-05, 11:40 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Yup- Lexus of Watertown it was. Still having the

Originally Posted by The G Man
Did you buy it from Lexus of Watertown?
usual doubts, like "hope we like the color" as we only saw Savannah once and VERY strongly considered white, which we've had on at least 4-5 other cars. Usually I don;t care for gold tone colors, but the Savannah seemed very different, like champagne. Certainly looks easier to keep clean. Also a concern is the "Can I really drive a truck every day"? factor But, like I've said here before, as much as I like my E500, I am tired of the endless fussiness and delicacy and miss my wife's Jeep GC. Gotta be careful all the time as NY's crappy roads seems determined to attack nicer cars. Plus, no matter what snow tires I use it still stinks in the winter, especially with all the hills in the area. Be nice to have a vehicle that can actually carry something and not run & hide when the weather turns.
All that remains now is to see how they deal with my request for Lexus Sirius radio (which thanks to this board I learned about), order the lights from xenondepot.com which I again learned about from this board, order new laser jamming equipment from Lidatek and hard wire my V1 after its here. Oh yeah, forgot one thing- Need to wait till the vehicle arrives here as supposedly on the boat!

Jim
Old 11-23-05, 02:08 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Default Jws3

Congrat, they have some real nice people down there at Lexus of Watertown, they also gave me a deal I couldn't resist. As far as driving a truck instead of a saden, believe me, a GX with KDSS drives just like a saden.
Old 11-25-05, 07:26 PM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Congrat, they have some real nice people down there at Lexus of Watertown, they also gave me a deal I couldn't resist. As far as driving a truck instead of a saden, believe me, a GX with KDSS drives just like a saden.
Im From NJ, so is there anyway to have a car towed to NJ if I buy in Mass.?

Would hate to add hundreds of miles right offf the bat by driving the car home.

-M
Old 11-25-05, 08:04 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Wouldn't worry about the miles- its only around 250-300 from NJ (more)

Originally Posted by petsb10

-M
And besides, a trucking company could charge several hundred dollars. Wouldn't be easier, faster, cheaper and much more fun just to drive it home? Lets see...... $30 in gas versus $400 or more in trucking charges.... Hmmmmm.....
Old 11-26-05, 06:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

-M
It would be a good way to break in the car, dont forget to vary your speed and rpm on the highway.
Old 11-26-05, 07:09 AM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWS3
And besides, a trucking company could charge several hundred dollars. Wouldn't be easier, faster, cheaper and much more fun just to drive it home? Lets see...... $30 in gas versus $400 or more in trucking charges.... Hmmmmm.....

Silly question but, if I drive my trade-in Car up there and I am trading it in, I will only be leaving the dealership with the new car, wont have to worry about driving my other car home, right?

Seems like common sense, but doesnt hurt to ask you guys.....Thanks

-M
Old 11-26-05, 12:35 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

You may want to call them on the phone and ask them that question. They may not be able to all the paperwork, plate transfer and Insurance all in one day, but it is worth calling ahead to be sure. Here is their website with the phone number.

http://www.lexusofwatertown.com/index.html
Old 11-26-05, 12:55 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default This is exactly what I will be doing. I may have to "finish"

Silly question but, if I drive my trade-in Car up there and I am trading it in, I will only be leaving the dealership with the new car, wont have to worry about driving my other car home, right?

Seems like common sense, but doesnt hurt to ask you guys.....Thanks

-M
the registration @ home and drive home w/ dealer plates, but so what? I have done this several times w/o ill effect. Also, your insurance will generally cover you for a time when purchasing a new car, but to be safe, report the new VIN # to your carrier and let them know the date of transfer. You do NOT want lapses in coverage!
They see this thing all the time. You just need to be extra careful if you have custom plates.