GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Disable Tire Pressure Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 05:38 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

I found a set of 4 sensors on ebay for $55 in 10 seconds. Here's a link to a thread about programming sensors https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-sensors.html found it and read it over in 30 seconds. IMHO disabling electronics is a bad idea. However, it's your car until you try to sell it. It's not as expensive or difficult to do as you posted.
Old 02-27-16, 07:45 PM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '04 GX and the TPMS light started blinking a month ago. Replaced the two bad sensors since I didn't want to spend the $ to replace all of them. Two weeks later the light was blinking again and tire shop says two more sensors are bad and not reading on their scanner. I hate the TPMS all together. Don't need a light to tell me my tire is low when I regularly check my pressure. Snipped and grounded the blue cable. Light off, happy wife, good to go!
Old 02-28-16, 09:28 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow! I can't believe this thread still going... lol
I did this back in 2005 and is now 2016 and never had a problem with disconnecting this brain. About to do the same thing for an 2016 GX460 when I change the rims.
Old 02-29-16, 03:43 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cgdrennan
I have an '04 GX and the TPMS light started blinking a month ago. Replaced the two bad sensors since I didn't want to spend the $ to replace all of them. Two weeks later the light was blinking again and tire shop says two more sensors are bad and not reading on their scanner. I hate the TPMS all together. Don't need a light to tell me my tire is low when I regularly check my pressure. Snipped and grounded the blue cable. Light off, happy wife, good to go!
Can you post a pic where it's grounded to? Thanks
Old 02-29-16, 09:29 AM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eburggx470
...There is some sort of box mounted underneath the dash on the right side wall that has a metal plate cover. I grounded the wire to a screw holding that plate cover. Whatever you use you should check with a test light to make sure it's a good ground. Not all the metal parts under there will work.
I grounded to the screw mentioned above. It is really the nearest place to the TPMS box. I'll try to take a pic this afternoon.
Old 03-05-16, 01:09 AM
CebuGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not de-pin that blue wire and connect it in such a way that it can be grounded but remain intact if you want to revert back.

Or you could just snip the wire further away from the plug and crimp on some type of connecting plugs.
Old 03-05-16, 05:53 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Originally Posted by pakundo
what about the gs300???? i am having the same dilema...T.I.A
Sorry, don't have the schematics for that.
Old 03-05-16, 06:36 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lac
Angleslex or PeterGX470:
Would you let me know if the battery terminals must be disconnected before cutting the TPMS wires? Thanks
On my end. I did not remove the terminals but I'm very comfortable with poking and cutting wires.
I'm a car audio & security installer seen high school and I'm now 45. Lol
If you feel you need to remove the terminal go head. Just remember you might need to reset the sunroof and the windows.
Old 06-14-16, 03:04 PM
bobemack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more tire pressure monitor blinking light

[I did the wire cutting and it worked, no more blinking light and now I have plain old
valve stems in my tires. Don't forget to rebalance your wheels as the TPMs do have some weight. ANGELSLEX you are the MAN!!!! I added a nut to a threaded bolt near the green box and connected it there for the ground. Don't try to put the wire under the existing nut or it won't ground. You have to have metal to metal secured.
NO MORE BLINKING BLINKING INDICATOR AND NO VISIT TO THE STEALERSHIP. BAM!
Old 06-14-16, 03:31 PM
CebuGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobemack
[I did the wire cutting and it worked, no more blinking light and now I have plain old
valve stems in my tires. Don't forget to rebalance your wheels as the TPMs do have some weight. ANGELSLEX you are the MAN!!!! I added a nut to a threaded bolt near the green box and connected it there for the ground. Don't try to put the wire under the existing nut or it won't ground. You have to have metal to metal secured.
NO MORE BLINKING BLINKING INDICATOR AND NO VISIT TO THE STEALERSHIP. BAM!

Finally an update from someone! I hope this will work for my '09
Old 06-14-16, 03:57 PM
bobemack
Driver School Candidate

It's the blue wire. Oh, the reason the TPMs go bad is that they have batteries in them which die after about 5 years. They ALL go bad eventually. If you want, you can go buy "self setting" ones that will not require the computer setting.
Old 06-14-16, 03:59 PM
bobemack
Driver School Candidate

Don't buy used sensors on the various venues.
I'm just finding all this stuff out and haven't ever seen anyone make a mention.
Old 06-14-16, 04:05 PM
bobemack
Driver School Candidate

Did not disconnect the battery either. And another thing, those sensors and valve assemblies have round rubber seals and THEY leak after they dry-rot. I sprayed windex to check the stems for leaks (bubbles) and the base of the sensor had a very slow leak.
So many things can go wrong, you're better off the way they did it in the 60's!!!!
Old 06-20-16, 04:49 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bobemack
Did not disconnect the battery either. And another thing, those sensors and valve assemblies have round rubber seals and THEY leak after they dry-rot. I sprayed windex to check the stems for leaks (bubbles) and the base of the sensor had a very slow leak.
So many things can go wrong, you're better off the way they did it in the 60's!!!!
What year is your GX? I've tried this on my 07 but light is still blinking.
Old 06-20-16, 05:31 AM
bobemack
Driver School Candidate

I have an '05. Did you ground the wire? Not the one coming our of the box but the one going into the harness. Use a snap clamp and fabricate a ground lead wire with a loop connector. Place both wires in the crimper and squeeze it closed. Take the new ground wire and touch it to the threaded stud nearby. Do this while the key is in the on position. You can actually watch the indicator light go out if it's a good ground. Note that after you cut the wire the light will stay steadily on and not blink. That way you know you cut the right wire. If the light still blinks you may have cut the wrong one.

Quick Reply: Disable Tire Pressure Sensors?