GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 GX470 Nav overide

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 02:45 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation Enhancement Kit

Hi Alex.....

Received the Navigation Enhancement Kit from Coastal Electronic today.

First tried to see if it would fit my Wife's car, a 2001 GS300. The connectors are all different.

Then tried to install the Kit in my 2004 GX470. One of the two connectors is different.

Called Coastal, but they are not there this week. Sent them an E-Mail. Shall see what happens.

Will keep you posted.

~ Cap
Old 01-31-06, 03:58 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Hi Alex.....

Received the Navigation Enhancement Kit from Coastal Electronic today.

First tried to see if it would fit my Wife's car, a 2001 GS300. The connectors are all different.

Then tried to install the Kit in my 2004 GX470. One of the two connectors is different.

Called Coastal, but they are not there this week. Sent them an E-Mail. Shall see what happens.

Will keep you posted.

~ Cap
Cap, do you have anyone around you with a 2005 (or 06)? That you could check.
Old 01-31-06, 04:44 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by loflin

Cap, do you have anyone around you with a 2005 (or 06)? That you could check.
No, I don't know anybody. But I suspect this Kit is for the newer generation, that the 05 and 06 have.

~ Cap
Old 01-31-06, 07:44 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Cap,

Sorry to hear that, hope this gets resolved for you shortly by Coastal, if not, I'm sure one of our earwhile buddies here @ Clublexus might be able to take it off your hands!!!

I for one would, IF my Bluetooth version falls through the cracks!!!

-Alex
Old 01-31-06, 08:16 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by lonewolf69

Hi Cap,

I for one would, IF my Bluetooth version falls through the cracks!!!

-Alex

Alex, I see no mention of Bluetooth.

Operation

Because the power was removed from the navigation system when the plugs were removed, the navigation unit will reload its data when first turned on. This process will be displayed along with a message on your screen, which tells you not to turn the car off while it is loading. After this process (approximately 20 seconds), your navigation system will operate as usual and will now be equipped with all the features the kit will add. Whenever the "I Agree" message is displayed, the kit will allow a couple of seconds, and then remove it. When the DEST (destination) button is pressed, the kit will perform a series of commands (approximately 10 seconds) after which it will return you back to your destination screen with full uninterrupted use of your navigation system. This process will only occur the first time the destination button is pressed on any particular trip and will continue allowing full navigation use for the entire time that the car is left on. When the car is turned off and then on again, the process will repeat by simply pressing the destination button.
Old 02-01-06, 11:36 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Operation

Because the power was removed from the navigation system when the plugs were removed, the navigation unit will reload its data when first turned on. This process will be displayed along with a message on your screen, which tells you not to turn the car off while it is loading. After this process (approximately 20 seconds), your navigation system will operate as usual and will now be equipped with all the features the kit will add. Whenever the "I Agree" message is displayed, the kit will allow a couple of seconds, and then remove it. When the DEST (destination) button is pressed, the kit will perform a series of commands (approximately 10 seconds) after which it will return you back to your destination screen with full uninterrupted use of your navigation system. This process will only occur the first time the destination button is pressed on any particular trip and will continue allowing full navigation use for the entire time that the car is left on. When the car is turned off and then on again, the process will repeat by simply pressing the destination button.
So now we know for sure exactly what it is doing. It's monitoring the keystroke datastream and then inserting keystrokes at the appropriate time. It's simulating the (soft) button push of I Agree at power on, and simulating the Menu, Volume, Upper Left, Lower Left, etc.. Destination lock override.

So that means for the Bluetooth option, there must a keystroke sequence for that also. Do we know what that is (or does the Dest lock override handle that too, I forget)?
Old 02-01-06, 07:42 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Cap,

There is no mention of it now, except for a small buried blurb about existing pre-order customers who ordered the BLUETOOTH option. These users will have to wait just a bit longer because the "bluetooth" component is still not yet available...?

I don't know why they don't advertise this version anymore but it was on their website for a few months October ~ Decementer 2005?

Probably no big deal, but I really REALLY use the phone a LOT when I'm in the GX and dialing while in motion is ESPECIALLY useful for me.

-Alex