GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Pic Request: GX V. Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-05, 06:49 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pic Request: GX V. Snow

i was just wondering.. since its the winter time and us down here dont really get snow and cant go have fun wit the gx.. i was wondering if when yall are out maybe take pics of your gx in the snow.. we can stickey the thread if alot of people post pics let me know if you need a photo host
Old 12-12-05, 06:34 AM
silvergx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that is the only way I would want to see a GX and snow is though a picture.
I hate it when it drop below 60 around here. Ya'll can keep the snow up north. !!!!!
Old 12-12-05, 04:49 PM
SacKen
Driver

No real snow up in Tahoe yet. I'll be up there between Xmas and New Years. Hopefully there will be some to play in.

To hold you over until folks get some new pics, here is the thread from last year that I posted a couple unique GX snow pics... including a couple where the GX is covered in a few feet of it!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146457
Old 12-12-05, 05:45 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We just had a 10 inch snow strom here in New England, sorry I dont have any pictures. The wind was like gusting at 40 MPH and it was a ice mix on top odf that, not good conditions for taking pictures.
I just want to say that the GX is one amazing SUV in the snow. It handle everything I throw at it. It went thru un-plow road with a 30 degree slope. It went thru a road that a Honda CRV got stuck in.
One thing that really impress me was the stability program in the GX, you really have to try hard to spin out the back, and it makes a noise when the stability program kicks in, which is a nice feature. I remember my old MDX with the stability program use to spin out going straight at 5 MPH with like 6 inches of snow. In my opinion, the GX is every bit as good as my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the snow, and the Jeep had off road tires.
Old 12-14-05, 06:59 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Cool Wow

It cracks me up that people buy these expensive 4wd vehicles, complain about poor gas mileage, and talk about how they get frost bitten even thinking about snow. Well, for those of you in the southern states you are missing out on what I think is the most useful part of this truck. It's ability to handle the crappiest of winter weather conditions. I will note however, that Michelein Cross Terrain Tires are the tire of choice for this vehicle as the dunlop and the bridgstone's suck after about 1/3 of their treadlife. (at least in wisconsin winters) This Truck is the pimp daddy of winter.
Old 12-14-05, 07:11 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Originally Posted by jugdish
It cracks me up that people buy these expensive 4wd vehicles, complain about poor gas mileage, and talk about how they get frost bitten even thinking about snow. Well, for those of you in the southern states you are missing out on what I think is the most useful part of this truck. It's ability to handle the crappiest of winter weather conditions. I will note however, that Michelein Cross Terrain Tires are the tire of choice for this vehicle as the dunlop and the bridgstone's suck after about 1/3 of their treadlife. (at least in wisconsin winters) This Truck is the pimp daddy of winter.
I totally agree with you. We just had almost 2 feet of snow since last week and the GX is a blast to drive. Even without dedicated snow tires, the GX handles very well. I love the higher seating position because it gives a better visibility during the dreadful L.E.S.( lake effect snow) We are getting moderate precipitation again tomorrow and I will take some photo to entertain our southern state comrades.

John
Old 12-14-05, 08:14 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Well.....But for snow (which I hate) I wouldn;t need a GX! (m)

Unfortunately, we see too much of it for my liking, hence the need for a real 4WD vehicle.
Old 12-17-05, 05:50 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

Amen on the GX! And ditto on the tires. I had the dealer swap tires with another truck before picking it up just so I'd have the Cross Terrains.

In the 2 winters I've driven the GX, only once has VSC come on. And that was last Friday, when the roads hadn't been plowed completely after 10"+ of snow, and I gunned it on purpose coming out of a corner. Even then, it regained traction within 1 or 2 sec.

I still hate looking at The Beast all covered with sand and crap, though...
Old 12-17-05, 03:18 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

What really impress me was how well the VSC recovers the vehicle after it has been turn on. I would imagine it is pretty hard to straighten out a 3 ton truck, but the combination of the X terrain tires, the muti piston brakes, the 4WD system and the GX's VSC system corrects the vehicle better than most VSC system I have use. I am looking forward to the next snow strom so I can have some fun with the GX again.
Old 12-17-05, 03:38 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

here ya go... on the Big Island of Hawaii
Attached Thumbnails Pic Request: GX V. Snow-lexus-n-the-snow.jpg  
Old 12-17-05, 03:47 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

You call that snow? Just kidding. Nice pic.
Old 12-17-05, 09:29 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

That is call a light dusting in my part of the woods. Fortunately for us the snow stayed up north in Buffalo today. And it is official, Buffalo Bills sucks big time.

John