GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Memory seat function HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 09:00 PM
25cliffy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Memory seat function HELP!

I'm 6'4", my wife is 5'3" - big difference. She drives a Grand Cherokee Limited, I drive the GX. Both have memory 1 & 2 presets for the driver seat. Here's the difference. In her Jeep, when the car is put in park and/or the car is turned off, the driver seat automatically moves back and the steering wheel retracts unlike my GX, the seat and steering wheel remain in the preset position which makes it really dificult for me to get in the vehicle following my wife or I have to open the door, hit my preset button and wait....

Is there a code or sequence to program in order to make the vehicle's seat back up and the steering wheel retract whenever the car is put into park or the key is turned off in order to make entering and exiting the vehicle more convenient?

Something similar to the door locking functions etc?? You know what I mean...

Thanks CcS
Old 12-15-05, 06:01 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cliffy,

Yes, there is a funtion very similar to the door lock functions you describe, although by default, it should have been set to have the Steering wheel, pull up and retract into the streering column.

I'm in the office right now with no access to owner's manual but it is DEFINATELY there...

One CAVEAT, the GX, unlike your JEEP, does NOT pull the seat back, only the steering wheel moves up and retracts...
Old 12-15-05, 06:20 AM
25cliffy
Rookie

The steering wheel does retract, however we would like it better if the seat moved back as well. My wife does sit very close and high up while driving and it would be easier for her to exit if the car automatically moved the seat when put in park and/or turned the vehicle off. Plus I wouldn't rack my knees when I quickly jump in to drive to work in the morning as I'm about to do....

Thanks, CcS
Old 12-15-05, 08:10 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Sorry, Cliff, I thought your original post stated that the steering wheel didn't retract as well as the seat.

Don't know if there is anything that can be done with the seat though, I feel your "pain" in this situation...

-Alex
Old 12-16-05, 05:45 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Originally Posted by 25cliffy
The steering wheel does retract, however we would like it better if the seat moved back as well. My wife does sit very close and high up while driving and it would be easier for her to exit if the car automatically moved the seat when put in park and/or turned the vehicle off. Plus I wouldn't rack my knees when I quickly jump in to drive to work in the morning as I'm about to do....

Thanks, CcS
maybe programming the wife to hit your setting before exiting the car?!?
Old 12-18-05, 05:25 PM
25cliffy
Rookie

NOW THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!!! Simple and inexpensive! But she is pregnant and moody. I think I'll wait until after the baby - then try my luck!

Thanks for the suggestion!
CcS
Old 12-19-05, 11:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 25cliffy
NOW THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!!! Simple and inexpensive! But she is pregnant and moody. I think I'll wait until after the baby - then try my luck!

Thanks for the suggestion!
CcS
Same situation here and congratulations on the baby also

When I open the door, I just hit the #2 button (for me) rather than have her hit me
Old 12-19-05, 03:04 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default HaHa! Good one...

Originally Posted by gx470atl
maybe programming the wife to hit your setting before exiting the car?!?
"Program the wife"! That's a good one! Experience has shownt hat it is usually she that programs the he than the other way around. If I asked my wife to do that on our car (even though we each drive it about 50/50), she would think I had gone insane. I'd rather pull a bad tooth from a Lion than to try to "program the wife". If anyone find the elusive commands that would succeed with this programming effort, I would appreciate if they would be so kind as to list the procedure on this thread.

PS - I have the same issue. Wife is 5'0" and I am 5'10". She sits pretty close but reclines the back of the seat. When I push the button designated on the door the seat FIRST adjusts the recline position and then it slides back and only then does it LOWER the seat to the point I can actually get in the frigging thing! I sure wish this was like either the BWM or Benz's I had before. The car KNOWS who owns which keyfob and adjusts the seating position based on the keyfob that was pushed. That way the door is unlocked and the seat is in the right position (usually by the time I have opened the door). Not so on this GX