GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is there a new GX in the future

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-06, 05:03 PM
AL470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a new GX in the future

Im thinking should update my lexus with a 2006 or should i wait for the new design? Any news on a new model GX470????? My sister bought a ML until few months later the new design came out, Salesman forgot to mention it to her. I guess they get bounus for selling old models.
Help me thanks
Old 01-16-06, 05:18 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

I'm guessing we should see a face lift and LED tail lights for the 07 GX70. Its corporate counterpart, the 4Runner has already gone through exterior updating for 06.
Old 01-16-06, 05:19 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

An honest (and knowledgeable) salesman will let you know when a new model is coming in.
I was looking at an 06 LS when my car was serviced and he said "You know that a new LS is coming. I would wait if I were you."

For the GX, it's speculated that an 08/09 will be the next change.

Well, they get $ for selling any vehicle anyway.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 01-16-06 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-16-06, 06:12 PM
robinzon
Driver

There is no changes to the GX planned until probably '08 (that is '09 model year). That is what Lexus sales tells me... they usually re-wamp their line every 6 years. There are def. no changes for the 07 model year.
Old 01-16-06, 07:10 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess that the very outdated nav/sound gen 4 system will be updated by 07 - the 4Runner has a more modern system that was updated this year, and the Lexus IS is getting generation 5 for 2006.

The last numbers I saw showed GX sales well down for 2005, despite Lexus increases overall. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the crazy gas situation we had this year. However, if it continues Lexus will have to respond - at some point it won't make sense to produce a vehicle if the numbers dip too low.

Of course, since I just bought one, the longer they keep the current model the happier I will be.
Old 01-16-06, 07:41 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe Lexus will counter the high gas price with a hybrid version of the GX or maybe even a diesel version.
Old 01-17-06, 09:38 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Civic,

Isn't the counter-part on the Toyota line-up a Toyota Prado, true it's not available for sale here but the Prado looks more like the GX than does my Friend's new 05' 4 Runner...

The Prado even has the Rear "swing out" door like the GX, and the 4 runner is shorter/wider while GX is taller/narrower...

-Alex
Old 01-17-06, 09:47 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I would guess that the very outdated nav/sound gen 4 system will be updated by 07 - the 4Runner has a more modern system that was updated this year, and the Lexus IS is getting generation 5 for 2006.

The last numbers I saw showed GX sales well down for 2005, despite Lexus increases overall. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the crazy gas situation we had this year. However, if it continues Lexus will have to respond - at some point it won't make sense to produce a vehicle if the numbers dip too low.

Of course, since I just bought one, the longer they keep the current model the happier I will be.
2005 sales of the GX were only down about 1,000 units or 2.7%? Not bad considering other Lexus models and the 2005 fuel prices.
Old 01-17-06, 10:42 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flyfishman
2005 sales of the GX were only down about 1,000 units or 2.7%? Not bad considering other Lexus models and the 2005 fuel prices.
Flyfishman, you are correct, it looks like the GX is down 2.7% for the year against a total Lexus increase of 5.5%. Not great, but not a disaster either. I had based my comments on the numbers I saw at the end of November. It appears that December was a winning GX month - I'm sure a lot of people were waiting to see what happened with gas prices and for a short while it looked like they were going down to reasonable levels.

I am not the only one (other than maybe on this forum! ) that is old enough to remember when a gas crisis meant shortage and long lines at the pump, including some rationing. This happened a couple of times during the 70s and 80s. The average GX owner can probably afford to pay a bit more for gas, but waiting in two hour lines for up to 10 gallons of gas is a whole different story.
Old 01-17-06, 04:00 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

[QUOTE=SilverLady]I would guess that the very outdated nav/sound gen 4 system will be updated by 07 - the 4Runner has a more modern system that was updated this year, and the Lexus IS is getting generation 5 for 2006.

Is the 2006 Nav/ sound really outdated...? How is the 4runner system or Gen 5 Nav that much better ? I though they just updated graphics in the Nav
Old 01-17-06, 04:54 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GGGXXX
Is the 2006 Nav/ sound really outdated...? How is the 4runner system or Gen 5 Nav that much better ? I though they just updated graphics in the Nav
I am not sure of the details of how the Nav system itself works differently, but I did get a chance to see a number of the Nav/sound systems in use by other similar vehicles, plus I became fairly familiar with the specs of the 4Runner nav (a lot more than the sales people or Toyota hotline, but that is another story).

Just about every system out there (even Nissan and Ford) has an in dash CD-Changer and easy access to the Nav DVD in dash as well (I believe most do not require you to change zone locations for destination input as the Lexus does, either). The Lexus CD changer is 1980's technology - about 2 steps down from the standard one in my 1996 Ford Explorer.

All the other systems I saw have MP3 CD disc technology, allowing hundreds of songs to be stored on 1 CD, with information tags displayed. The Lexus is the only one that does not.

The 4Runner nav/sound system does have pretty much everything the Lexus does (it does only take 4 CDs in the dash, but with MP3 disk capability it is way ahead in storage). It also has a simple RCA mini-jack that allows a simple connection for Ipods and other MP3 type players. (I admit the speakers are probably not as good, but that is quality level, not technology).

Most of the other systems advertise they are ready for integration of IPOD and satellite radio.

The IS is supposed to have generation 5 (I haven't seen it), which I have heard has the RCA jack and MP3 disc capability - I can't imagine Lexus isn't going to add this to the other models as soon as they can.
Old 01-17-06, 07:01 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I recently purchased an Eclipse AVN5435 navigation system for my Toyota Sienna. Eclipse is the company owned by Toyota/Lexus that makes their Navigation systems. The Navigation system is not much different from my '04's navigation outside of graphics. As far as MP3 capabilities, I was disappointed at the GX's lack of this feature, but have found a work-around. I first burned my music to DVD in Dolby format which compresses it and allows about 500 songs to be put on one DVD. However, I recently installed the VAIS Ipod interface and that thing ROCKS. I don't miss the MP3 at all.
Old 01-21-06, 06:47 AM
WildcatGX
Driver School Candidate

Older technology is my only serious complaint with the entire Lexus brand.

Lexus is now the only premium luxury maker without things like MP3, DVD-Audio, iPod hookup, etc.

When I looked at the Mark Levinson system and audio features in the new GS and "low-end" IS, I was a little upset to be driving a new GX just off the boat out of the showroom floor with the "old" system. I know that they'll refresh everything when they revamp the model lineup (as someone said, usually every six years), but that's really a long time to wait.

On the other hand, my buddies buying their new German cars will spend a lot of time waiting while the dealer fixes the broken MP3/CD/DVD-Audio/iPod player. And the NAV system isn't nearly as good.
Old 01-22-06, 04:28 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

What some people refer to as old technology, I like to think of it as proven technology. Toyota have always been a very converative company, they usually work out all the bugs before they put something into production. That is one of the reason why Toyota and Lexus are the most relieable cars in the world. New technologies are nice, but not at the expense of spenting alot of the time in the repair shop.
Old 01-22-06, 05:21 PM
Enigma869
Driver

[QUOTE=GGGXXX]
Originally Posted by SilverLady
I Is the 2006 Nav/ sound really outdated...? How is the 4runner system or Gen 5 Nav that much better ? I though they just updated graphics in the Nav

Take a look at what Pioneer just unveiled at CES and you'll soon realize that many OEM navigation systems are sorely lacking and way behind the technology curve. For the record, I own a 2004 LX with nav. While I certainly wouldn't pull out my OEM nav out of my LX, this unit certainly makes me wonder what the heck is wrong with auto manufacturers who can't produce something comparable in a VERY expensive vehicle!

http://www.cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6413238.html

John from Boston

Last edited by Enigma869; 01-23-06 at 05:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there a new GX in the future