GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GPS Error

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 06:25 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tinstar,

I too have been using GPS system for years with my vehicles and this is the first time I have one "built on board", previously have used Computer/laptop based ones, very nice, but took up a lot of space... Only other problem was when I drove into the city via Midtown tunnel or when I was in the city, the GPS would stop because satelite reception was blocked by skyscrapers and or tunnel.

Not true with the GX and the speedometer updates!!!

Bob,
I'm really truly sorry to hear about your issue with the GPS and your house #. With Delorme (Computer based) GPS, I used to be able to submit updates to them. Don't know if this is possible with our built-in GPS unit for Lexus...

-Alex
Old 01-30-06, 01:33 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Hi Tinstar,

I too have been using GPS system for years with my vehicles and this is the first time I have one "built on board", previously have used Computer/laptop based ones, very nice, but took up a lot of space... Only other problem was when I drove into the city via Midtown tunnel or when I was in the city, the GPS would stop because satelite reception was blocked by skyscrapers and or tunnel.

Not true with the GX and the speedometer updates!!!

Bob,
I'm really truly sorry to hear about your issue with the GPS and your house #. With Delorme (Computer based) GPS, I used to be able to submit updates to them. Don't know if this is possible with our built-in GPS unit for Lexus...

-Alex
Thanks Alex,

I'm kind of used to it now but its embarassing when I get to the house with friends in the car and they notice that the navigation unit has us at the wrong address number. Then they say that they are surprised that Lexus of all manufacturers would allow such an error when they remember my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT always gave the correct house number.

The only way to update the system is when Lexus releases a new DVD disc which is once a year but I have the latest disc in my 06 GX and its still wrong. Oh well!
Old 01-30-06, 03:20 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Premature Destination

I read in some Lexus literature, that Lexus purposely has the NAV show the destination prematurely, so that the driver has ample time to find a place to park.

Makes sense to me.

~ Cap
Old 01-30-06, 05:46 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Will the real geocords please stand up?

Ok I just checked the geocoords AGAIN for ye of little faith:

source longitude
Known-1: 77° 25' 36.65"
Known-2: 77° 25' 38"
emergency: 77° 25' 36"
"volume" diag menu: 76° 34' 23.41"
"info" diag menu: 76° 34.2

So with the above, looks like a 46 mile--give or take a few yards--error.

Interesting thing is the emergency coords---they must be based off the map reading, not the GPS reading.

Old 01-30-06, 06:53 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Thanks Alex,

I'm kind of used to it now but its embarassing when I get to the house with friends in the car and they notice that the navigation unit has us at the wrong address number. Then they say that they are surprised that Lexus of all manufacturers would allow such an error when they remember my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT always gave the correct house number.
Bob, while I understand the (small) frustration in not having the exact address to the location, I don't understand the scenario with being embarrassed with friends.

If you are not using NAV to navigate, it doesn't show address's.

If you are using Nav to navigate home, then you should have set and stored the HOME button while you were sitting in your driveway. Then rename Home to "Bob's Place" or whatever.

Now when you Nav home it will be EXACTLY to your driveway, and it will say you arrived at "Bob's Place".

What could be more impressive than that?
Old 01-30-06, 08:11 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lepoch
Ok I just checked the geocoords AGAIN for ye of little faith:

source longitude
Known-1: 77° 25' 36.65"
Known-2: 77° 25' 38"
emergency: 77° 25' 36"
"volume" diag menu: 76° 34' 23.41"
"info" diag menu: 76° 34.2

So with the above, looks like a 46 mile--give or take a few yards--error.

Interesting thing is the emergency coords---they must be based off the map reading, not the GPS reading.

Lepoch-
Let's for argument's sake say that you couldn't get into the "secret" diagnostic menu, and didn't know what it said.

The only way the GPS system knows where you are is to position you via satellites, and then compare your coordinates with the map. It would seem that the "emergency" reading is where you are, otherwise how would it know the address? It compares this point with the map database, and shows you where you are. If it was reading the off numbers, it would presumably show you as being somewhere 46 miles away.

I see several possibilities-

Just some thoughts. Personally, I have no plans to mess around with mine - too much chance of things going really wrong.
    Old 01-30-06, 08:34 PM
    lonewolf69
    Pole Position

Hi Silver,

Great call on the dealer calibration! That might be the issue right there, although I'm not too if the dealer will initially know what the issues is at first glance they may have to consult with someone first.

-Alex
    Old 01-31-06, 08:40 AM
    loflin
    Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lepoch, I'm still confused.

What does it read for Current Pos in Lat/Lon when you put the display in COMPASS mode?

If your GPS where truly 50 miles off, your map would be way off too. Is your map showing that you are 50 miles off?

Note there is a calibration function in the setup. But this calibrates the map to the GPS.

Sit the car in the street at an intersection that has a good view of the sky/sats. Zoom the map all the way in and use the calibrate function to put the target circle exactly where your car is (at the intersection).

I really know of no way the GPS positioning can be off (as opposed to the map, which can be off).