GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 04:43 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Compartment

I just notice that there is a small compartment above the glove compartment in my GX. Looks like it is big enough to put my owner's manuals in there. It is amazing that I had this car for 6 months and I have just notice it. I was so sure I check out the whole car inside and out when I first bought it. Anyone know of any other secret compartments in the GX?

Last edited by The G Man; 01-30-06 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-30-06, 05:46 PM
TurboJones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must not have the 6 disc cd changer then eh?

After reading this I said "cool" only to find no compartment
Old 01-30-06, 05:53 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I do have the 6 CD changer but I dont have the Nav. My CD changer is in the radio itself. Let me get this right, that compartment is only there if you dont have the nav. option. Can anyone confrim that?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-30-06, 05:54 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G-Man - I assume you don't have the Nav? That little shelf has the 6CD changer in it if you have the Nav.

The little space where the jack is kept has a bit of extra space. I put some emergency stuff in there - a mylar blanket, plastic raincoat, and chemical handwarmer (all very flat in pouches) and a little paratool/flashlight kit pouch.

The sunglasses overhead compartment is useless - I don't have any sunglasses that small. Anyone think of a use for it?

I assume you know about the little compartment on the left near the back seats.

I'm used to a lot more storage space, particularly up front, so if anyone knows of neat addons I'd love to hear.
Old 01-30-06, 06:54 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

My last vehicle, the MDX had alot more compartment and storage bins than the GX, too bad the built quality was horrible. I do know about the little compartment on the left near the back seats, I put a small portable air compressor in there just in case of emergency.
Old 01-30-06, 07:06 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
I do have the 6 CD changer but I dont have the Nav. My CD changer is in the radio itself. Let me get this right, that compartment is only there if you dont have the nav. option. Can anyone confrim that?

Thanks in advance
OK, I'm confused

But I've never seen a GX without Nav.

For a system with NAV, there is no CD slot anywhere in the console. The CD changer is in the glovebox, mounted in a space at the top.

The NAV DVD unit is under the passenger seat.

The DVD player for the RSES is in the storage hole in the back of the console between the seats (behind the cupholders).

So if you don't have Nav, there is a CD slot somewhere (above/below) the LCD screen?
Old 01-30-06, 07:15 PM
darrellk
Rookie

I have an 06 GX W/O nav and the space you are refering to was just what I needed to install my XM radio. The XM tuner and the VAIS Soundlinq interface fit great in that space and cables were easy to run between the head unit and the space above the glove box. There is a slot at the top of the head unit to insert CDs
Old 01-30-06, 07:21 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If you dont have the Nav, a full size radio takes the place of the Nav screen. It is double the height of the radio you would find in a GX with the nav. The larger radio can acommondate a six CD changer in there. I dont have the RES dvd system, but I find the center console compartment small enough without the the DVD player in there.

Hmmm XM radio in that compartment, not a bad idea, by the way what is a VAIS Soundlinq interface?

Last edited by The G Man; 01-30-06 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-30-06, 08:14 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady

The sunglasses overhead compartment is useless - I don't have any sunglasses that small. Anyone think of a use for it?

I use the Sun Glasses compartment for my Sirius Controller.

~ Cap
Old 01-31-06, 04:38 AM
darrellk
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you dont have the Nav, a full size radio takes the place of the Nav screen. It is double the height of the radio you would find in a GX with the nav. The larger radio can acommondate a six CD changer in there. I dont have the RES dvd system, but I find the center console compartment small enough without the the DVD player in there.

Hmmm XM radio in that compartment, not a bad idea, by the way what is a VAIS Soundlinq interface?
The VAIS Soundlinq allows you to connect an XM universial tuner ( Terk XM Direct or XM Commander Satellite Receiver) to the head unit in your Lexus or Toyota car. It can be used with or without the Nav system installed. ( I don't have the Nav in my 06 GX 470) With the interface installed you can display channel number. artist, channel name and song title on the Nav screen or the LCD display in the head unit. GO to www.vaistech.com for lots of info.

"SoundLinq with XM Radio interface adapter (SLX) is the direct plug-n-play input, which adds two Audio AUX inputs to your Toyota/Lexus vehicle. First AUX input is dedicated for Terk® XMDirect™ Universal XM Satellite Radio Receiver, second AUX input is universal. SLX allows you to receive digital XM Satellite Radio directly through the OEM head unit. It seamlessly integrates the Terk® XMDirect™ Universal Tuner box (XMD1000) into Toyota/Lexus OEM audio system. SLX also allows you to display artist information, Radio station name, and a song name on your Navigation screen or Radio LCD.* No more Cassette Adaptors, FM Transmitters, or Cigarette Lighter Chargers. Enjoy the clear, genuine high, CD quality sound through your factory audio system."

Regards
Darrell

Last edited by darrellk; 01-31-06 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 01-31-06, 07:13 AM
TomGXer
Rookie

RE: the sunglass thing...

That thing is pretty much dead space, I agree. the only thing I put in there is the key card for my company garage. It is seriously the only thing that fits in there. Im love my GX but they really could have put a bit more thought into storage. I have no where to put my phone unless you count the two horrible cup holders. Even those are terrible if used for the intended purpose of actually holding a cup/travel mug. I think that its easier to just hold it in your hand.

T.
Old 02-04-06, 04:29 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

WOW.. now I"m really beginning to wonder what all is in my GX ..I don't know about the extra compartment above the glove compartment .. 2004 Gx here and no nav ..
I do know about the compartment behind the back seat ..

Yes ..The sunglasses overhead compartment is usless..
Old 02-04-06, 05:07 PM
Tin Star
Rookie

Originally Posted by darrellk
The VAIS Soundlinq allows you to connect an XM universial tuner ( Terk XM Direct or XM Commander Satellite Receiver) to the head unit in your Lexus or Toyota car. It can be used with or without the Nav system installed. ( I don't have the Nav in my 06 GX 470) With the interface installed you can display channel number. artist, channel name and song title on the Nav screen or the LCD display in the head unit. GO to www.vaistech.com for lots of info.

"SoundLinq with XM Radio interface adapter (SLX) is the direct plug-n-play input, which adds two Audio AUX inputs to your Toyota/Lexus vehicle. First AUX input is dedicated for Terk® XMDirect™ Universal XM Satellite Radio Receiver, second AUX input is universal. SLX allows you to receive digital XM Satellite Radio directly through the OEM head unit. It seamlessly integrates the Terk® XMDirect™ Universal Tuner box (XMD1000) into Toyota/Lexus OEM audio system. SLX also allows you to display artist information, Radio station name, and a song name on your Navigation screen or Radio LCD.* No more Cassette Adaptors, FM Transmitters, or Cigarette Lighter Chargers. Enjoy the clear, genuine high, CD quality sound through your factory audio system."

Regards
Darrell

Using Vasitech is no longer necessary with the XM or Sirus plug and play systems.
Old 02-05-06, 05:06 AM
darrellk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tin Star
Using Vasitech is no longer necessary with the XM or Sirus plug and play systems.
Good morning. I don't understand what you mean when you say "Using Vasitech is no longer necessary with the XM or Sirus plug and play systems" Vaistech Soundlinq is a plug and play system. It simply plugs into the OEM head unit.
Regards
Darrell
Old 02-07-06, 05:34 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

I found the compartment .. Ty for the infor.. I now have a place for my Cd's ..

Last edited by Tipler; 02-07-06 at 05:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Compartment