GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How I learned to stop hating the "I Agree" button

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 10:04 AM
darylhuff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I learned to stop hating the "I Agree" button

Since I bought my 2005 GX470 over a year ago, the only complaint I had about the car was the Big Brother nature of the car. The two things that annoyed me most was that darned "I Agree" button that I had to hit each time I started the car, and the fact that a passenger couldn't enter a destination while the car was moving.

God bless Coastaltech! I ordered the Nav Enhancement kit (http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm) from them a week ago and it arrived today. I know they don't say anything about it working on models other than the Prius, but I was willing to gamble $100 to get rid of the "I Agree" button. My gamble payed off big time. It took me less than 5 minutes to install the cable. I turned on the car, the nav system reloaded due to the cable disconnect (took 20 seconds) and when the "I Agree" button came up, wammo, it was gone. When I hit the "DEST" button the system now goes through the override sequence by itself and a destination can be entered (by a passenger) even if the car is in motion.

There have been some postings that were less than complementary about Costal Tech. My experience has been very positive. They shipped the unit promptly and it does just what I wanted it to do.

Now I just have to pull the "Speed" wire out of the connector on the back of the Multi-Display Unit this weekend so that the bluetooth capability is not crippled when the car is in motion and I've only got that stupid seat position memory button that doesn't work when the car is out of Park to fix.
Old 02-01-06, 10:31 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good News indeed Daryl,

You're about the 6th or 8th person to report good news on the CoastalEtech unit for the 05' model.

All,

Be aware, though that this kit is not PLUG n PLAY for 04' or 03' models. Seems the molex connectors are different... on the 04'/03' models than on the 05' GX/Prius...

-Alex
Old 02-01-06, 01:51 PM
SacKen
Driver

I have a question about the CoastalTech gadget...

If I try to manually enter in the destination override sequence, I have to be stopped because the DVD button is disabled when you are moving... stopping you from getting to the DVD screen and completing the sequence.

As reported by Cap in another thread, the CoastalTech writeup says:
"When the DEST (destination) button is pressed, the kit will perform a series of commands (approximately 10 seconds) after which it will return you back to your destination screen with full uninterrupted use of your navigation system. This process will only occur the first time the destination button is pressed on any particular trip and will continue allowing full navigation use for the entire time that the car is left on. When the car is turned off and then on again, the process will repeat by simply pressing the destination button."

So, if the CoastalTech gadget seems to simply be mimicking the "keystrokes" and only does so when you press the destination button, then does it also only work when stopped? If you are driving down the highway and press "Dest" for the first time, will it fail to do the override for the same reason I can't do it manually?
Old 02-01-06, 06:16 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sac,

The NAV override requires the MENU button only and not the DVD button, I do this quite a few times while the GX is in motion and don't have an issue with it.

Menu button
Volume (on screen/touch screen)
upper left
lower left
upper left
lower left
OVERRIDE menu
press and HOLD the OVERRIDE button 3~5 seconds until BEEP
let go OVERRIDE button is now highlighted in BLACK
hit the MAP button and now you're in business.

This is how I use it in my 05' GX, the coastaletech is suppose to work the same way... (2nd hand info, don't know for sure 100%, still waiting on my Bluetooth/NAV overide kit, will know then...)

Hope this helps?

-Alex
Old 02-02-06, 07:48 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darylhuff
Since I bought my 2005 GX470 over a year ago, the only complaint I had about the car was the Big Brother nature of the car. The two things that annoyed me most was that darned "I Agree" button that I had to hit each time I started the car, and the fact that a passenger couldn't enter a destination while the car was moving.

God bless Coastaltech! I ordered the Nav Enhancement kit (http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm) from them a week ago and it arrived today. I know they don't say anything about it working on models other than the Prius, but I was willing to gamble $100 to get rid of the "I Agree" button. My gamble payed off big time. It took me less than 5 minutes to install the cable. I turned on the car, the nav system reloaded due to the cable disconnect (took 20 seconds) and when the "I Agree" button came up, wammo, it was gone. When I hit the "DEST" button the system now goes through the override sequence by itself and a destination can be entered (by a passenger) even if the car is in motion.

There have been some postings that were less than complementary about Costal Tech. My experience has been very positive. They shipped the unit promptly and it does just what I wanted it to do.

Now I just have to pull the "Speed" wire out of the connector on the back of the Multi-Display Unit this weekend so that the bluetooth capability is not crippled when the car is in motion and I've only got that stupid seat position memory button that doesn't work when the car is out of Park to fix.
Sounds good. I just ordered one. Can't wait to get it.
Old 02-02-06, 12:38 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SacKen
I have a question about the CoastalTech gadget...

If I try to manually enter in the destination override sequence, I have to be stopped because the DVD button is disabled when you are moving... stopping you from getting to the DVD screen and completing the sequence.

As reported by Cap in another thread, the CoastalTech writeup says:
"When the DEST (destination) button is pressed, the kit will perform a series of commands (approximately 10 seconds) after which it will return you back to your destination screen with full uninterrupted use of your navigation system. This process will only occur the first time the destination button is pressed on any particular trip and will continue allowing full navigation use for the entire time that the car is left on. When the car is turned off and then on again, the process will repeat by simply pressing the destination button."

So, if the CoastalTech gadget seems to simply be mimicking the "keystrokes" and only does so when you press the destination button, then does it also only work when stopped? If you are driving down the highway and press "Dest" for the first time, will it fail to do the override for the same reason I can't do it manually?
SacKen, as Lonewolf replied it is the Menu button, at least for '05 and '06. Your sig says you have an '04. Cap has already determined that the CostalTech wiring does NOT work for an '04. So it doesn't matter for you. See the other post, similar subject for details.
Old 02-02-06, 01:18 PM
SacKen
Driver

Yeah, on the '03 and '04 it is the DVD button on the Menu screen. That extra step is what kills it for us. I guess that since the '05 and on use the Volume screen instead, then the "must be stopped" issue is gone for y'all.

As for the kit, I saw comments that it was simply not plug-n-play because the connection was different. I didn't see anything about it not working at all. Granted you would need to manually tweak/splice the connection. Anyone with an '03/'04 try it yet?