GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

BE CAREFUL!! (dash dis-assembly)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06 | 06:57 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Red face BE CAREFUL!! (dash dis-assembly)

Just a note of caution. I installed the VAIS Tech Ipod kit today and while taking the dash apart as carefully as possible, 2 tension clips snapped off of the right side of the dash applique. Luckily, epoxy worked excellent to repair the damage, but I noticed when doing the repair that the molded plastic is fibrous! Very fragile. When removing each wood applique, start at the bottom and pull with slight force straight out and up. pulling any other way will damage the clips. By the way, these wood veneered plastic appliques cost $620 each to replace (online), and over $900 at the dealer.
Old 02-02-06 | 05:25 AM
db6
Rookie

Default Thanks for the tip - any other advice you weant to share?

My kit came in the mail last night and I plan on installing it this Saturday.
How long did it take you?

Thanks
Old 02-02-06 | 05:53 AM
MarcP
Driver

jugdish - after your "repair" did the pieces go in properly and securely? I am going to be installing XM soon and have been worried about the removing the wood pieces - my dealer had actually already replaced both of them because on some warranty work the tech broke the clips on both. When you reinstalled everything do the pieces align correctly at the top with the dash? I've seen some on other GX's that after being removed by the dealer almost look like they were "bent" at the top and looked terrible reinstalled.
Old 02-02-06 | 06:18 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

The total install took less than an hour, the most time was taking thinkgs apart and putting them back together, the kit itself plugs right in. As far as fit, it looks as if nothing has been done to it. Just to be safe I put Epoxy coatings on each side of the unbroken clips to give them more support in case I have to access the radio again. It was a very easy fix, just be careful. I was really suprised how tight the fitting was when I went to remove them.
Old 02-02-06 | 06:21 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

One other tip, when removing the side plastic pieces, start at the front (by the emergency brake) with a cloth covered putty knife and work your way towards the front. It's the only way to release the clips without marking the plaslic. I first tried working from the front to the back and marred a small piece of plastic on the passenger side. Not a big deal, but could have been avoided had I started the correct way.
Old 02-02-06 | 06:58 AM
MarcP
Driver

Originally Posted by jugdish
start at the front (by the emergency brake) with a cloth covered putty knife and work your way towards the front.
Do you mean start at the "back" and work your way towards the front?
Old 02-02-06 | 08:00 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MarcP
Do you mean start at the "back" and work your way towards the front?

Yes Start at the back and work towards the front (radio)
Old 02-02-06 | 04:40 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool Dead Audio at times ... a workaround

Originally Posted by jugdish
Just a note of caution. I installed the VAIS Tech Ipod kit today and while taking the dash apart as carefully as possible, 2 tension clips snapped off of the right side of the dash applique. Luckily, epoxy worked excellent to repair the damage, but I noticed when doing the repair that the molded plastic is fibrous! Very fragile. When removing each wood applique, start at the bottom and pull with slight force straight out and up. pulling any other way will damage the clips. By the way, these wood veneered plastic appliques cost $620 each to replace (online), and over $900 at the dealer.

I installed that kit a month or two ago. I like it very much. One problem you will most likely encounter at some time. if you start the ML system and you are on the AUX input (with the disc "99" and VAIStech name being displayed), you will get no audio when you cycle around to the Ipod input. I have found if you leave the input on the CD changer selection (just prior to the SoundLinQ VAIStech module) long enough to hear a audio from it, the next cycle to the SoundLinQ will work. I don't know if that is the case for people who have audio present on both of the SoundLinQ inputs. But, that is the workaround that does it for me. Rather than turn the truck off and than on again.
Even with that issue, I love the way it sounds. OK, we are hearing compressed audio playback. But hey, it sounds great coming out of the ML stereo though.

The steering wheel controls are pretty sweet as well. A quick press to change songs, and longer press to change playlists. I find myself driving around with the "Audio" screen in the "Title" mode at times. Kind of nice to see music titles (and all versions of misspellings intended or not) on the screen.

BTW, I too did something similar to the clips when I did my install. But for me it was both of the top clips (who the heck designed that thing anyway). And I don't that that is wood veneer. I think it is simply impregnated plastic. Nothing natural about any of that. Probably better that way, at least it won't split over time and humidity changes. Like the older RR's were prone to.
Old 02-02-06 | 07:06 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

I'm glad to see someone else has this issue. I thought I had a bad unit, but the techs as VAIS said it could be a bug with the G5 Ipods. Not really a big deal as I did the same thing as you explain to get around it. I think the audio is excellent, as good as through the disc changer. I'm just glad that I now have acess to 30 gigs of music without having to burn any more discs!!