GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Question about the Vaistech unit -

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 06:35 AM
db6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about the Vaistech unit -

When this unit is installed can you select songs by artist, album, etc. or only by play list?
I'm just a little confused about the interface between the GX's audio system and the ipod.
Does the NAV screen display the same info as the ipod display, or only the song currently being played? Can you play every song by a given artist without it being set up as a playlist, or only as a playlist?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-06, 10:52 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The unit only plays playlist set up by the user. You can have a total of 99 playlists with 99 songs per playlist. Essentially, I have made playlists of complete CD's so it's like having a 99 disc cd changer. It is a little buggy, meaning it does not recognize the unit all of the time which requires turning off the audio system and then back on, or sometimes even restarting the car. This only occurs sometimes when switching between sources, i.e., FM radio to Ipod. I think the unit works well, however, I don't think it is worth the $300 VAIS charges for it. Possibly if ALL of the bugs were worked out of it.
Old 02-03-06, 11:36 AM
db6
Rookie

Default Thanks for the reply - two other questions -

Can I use the ipod while attached to the VaisTech unit to select what to play over the GX stereo?
Do I need to name the playlist with numbers, or will any name work?

It looks loke Coastel Tech is working on an interface that will allow for complete Ipod control.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-03-06, 02:12 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You can name each playlist anything you want. I would be very suprised if any company is able to develop an interface that allows "complete" control and still be able to navigate via OEM radio and steering wheel controls. The way this unit works is it "tricks" the system into thinking it is a Mini disc changer, therby allowing use with the factory controls. There is an AUX input on the VAIS unit that you could plug the Ipod into and have full use of the Ipod, but you will not be able to control it through the factory stereo.
Old 05-13-06, 03:44 PM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soundlinq SLI Tips

Installed the Soundlinq SLI on my '06 GX470. Works great! Few bugs, but there are some workarounds that you can do.

SLI operates similarly to a CD changer, but with playlists instead of CDs. Here are some key pointers.

There is a maximum limit of 99 playlists, with up to 99 tracks (songs) per playlist. If you have more than 99 songs, then the disk and track display begins to act squirrelly.

The playlists are in alphabetical order, and only the first 12 playlists can be easily accessed with the on screen disk buttons. The other playlists must be accessed using the "disk up/disk dn" buttons on the unit. However, there is no "disk up/disk dn" button on the steering wheel; therefore you must use the buttons on the unit.

The songs are accessed within the playlist using the "track up/track dn" buttin on the unit and the steering wheel.

Control can be transferred back to the Ipod by entering the Simple Mode by pressing the scan button 8 times within 2 seconds. See page 12 of the user manual (download user manual at http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html, bottom of page). Within Simple Mode, you can adjust the sound level of the Ipod. I haven't tried this, so I cannot attest to this working.

I have more than 99 playlist on my Ipod, and some of the playlists are more than 99 songs. I solved this by creating a smart playlist of the playlist, with a limit of 99 songs selected at random with live updating. Works great!

Also, accessing the 99 playlist is a bit easier if you add a number in front of your favorite playlists (100, 101, 102, etc.), as these playlists will be at the top of the list.

Hope this helps! If you have any additional tips, please post.
Old 05-13-06, 03:56 PM
trebien
Driver

Originally Posted by rtanouye
However, there is no "disk up/disk dn" button on the steering wheel; therefore you must use the buttons on the unit.
I've got it in my 2006 GX as well and really like it. Too bad there isn't a similar product for my Infiniti.

FYI - holding the "track up/down" buttons on the steering wheel is the same as "Dsic up/down"... just hold it down for a couple of seconds.

As was mentioned, there isn't much else to "integrate" the Ipod into the factory stereo... unless they write a whole new GUI for the NAV, just for the iPod. I don't see that happeneing, but would be really impressed if they did.
Old 05-13-06, 06:53 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trebien
I've got it in my 2006 GX as well and really like it. Too bad there isn't a similar product for my Infiniti.

FYI - holding the "track up/down" buttons on the steering wheel is the same as "Dsic up/down"... just hold it down for a couple of seconds.

As was mentioned, there isn't much else to "integrate" the Ipod into the factory stereo... unless they write a whole new GUI for the NAV, just for the iPod. I don't see that happeneing, but would be really impressed if they did.
Does it show Song name artist name once your in a specif playllist???
Old 05-13-06, 07:57 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Scans

You can scan /cycle through "artist", "album" "song"....depending on your preference it will "stay" in that mode...
Old 05-14-06, 06:40 AM
db6
Rookie

do you have any volume issues around the Vaistech unit? My Ipod volume is less than the radio, cd player. Not usually an issue unless driving with the windows and sunroof open. I tried manually adjusting the volume on the ipod, but that just led to distortion. I use the Ipod soundcheck feature, does that matter? I wanted to test it buy using the aux inout, but haven't gotton around to taking my glove box apart to get at it.

It's a good unti that works well.
Old 05-15-06, 08:14 AM
trebien
Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
Does it show Song name artist name once your in a specif playllist???
Yes - it shows the tag info on the screen when a song is selected (artist, song name, etc.), but it doesn't simply "list" all songs in that playlist.

Screen shots for the GX:

Last edited by trebien; 05-15-06 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-15-06, 08:18 AM
trebien
Driver

Originally Posted by db6
do you have any volume issues around the Vaistech unit? My Ipod volume is less than the radio, cd player. Not usually an issue unless driving with the windows and sunroof open. I tried manually adjusting the volume on the ipod, but that just led to distortion. I use the Ipod soundcheck feature, does that matter? I wanted to test it buy using the aux inout, but haven't gotton around to taking my glove box apart to get at it.

It's a good unti that works well.
I don't have volume issues - it seems to match up with the other sources just fine.

The "soundcheck" feature should be ON, according to Vaistech.

Seems like I read something about this... having to do with the iPod equalizer or something... I don't remember. There is also a method to actually control the volume sensitivity on the SLI, you could raise that. FYI - I use a new 4GB Nano. Have you tried turning the iPod equalizer OFF? Simply raising the iPod volume WILL lead to distortion.