GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Installed the Vais Tech Ipod adapter this weekend -

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06 | 06:46 AM
db6
Rookie

Default Installed the Vais Tech Ipod adapter this weekend -

I would like to thank whoever posted the blow by blow instructions with pictures. I would no have been able to do the install myself without them. Took about an hour and a half, as I was very careful removing the trim pieces. I did not break any of the pieces, and when reinstalled, they look like they were never off. The only thing I did have an issue with was a connector within the glove box. There is a black plastic plate on the right side that attaches to a yellow wire loom behind the glove box. There is a plactic stud that attaches to the wire loom. I snapped this off behind the glove box. Does anyone know if this is a access panel that needs to be attched to the loom? The loom is now loose behind the glove box. I installed the Vaistech unit behind the right side of the glove box. There was room, but no attachment points. Seemed like a good enough place for it.

The Vaistech unit works great. I don't think the 99 song / 99 playlist will be an issue for me. I am using it with the 60 gig Ipod. The only issue I have is that the volume of the Ipod is lower than that of the radio / cd player. I tried the simple mode volume adjustment, but really didn't make a difference. I also turned off the sound check function on the Ipod, but this too did not make much of a difference. If anyone knows another way of adjusting for the volume difference I would like to hear it.

Thanks again for the help of this board and after 3 days I would recommend the Vaistech unit.
Old 02-13-06 | 07:47 PM
177mph
Pole Position

So - its worth the money? Whats the sound quality like?
Old 02-14-06 | 10:09 AM
darylhuff
Rookie

I don't know if you are referring to my blow-by-blow web site (http://www.emba42.com/lexus/), but if you look at step 21 you can see where I mounted the unit.
Old 02-19-06 | 04:59 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Interference with NAV

My dealer (Lexus of Southampton) installed the Vaistech to enable Sirius sattelite and my iPod. They work fine but the NAV can no longer find the GPS. Take it out - the GPS returns.

Not sure where he put the integration unit but cant live without my NAV.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Antenna originally mounted above windshield in front. Recently moved to rear of vehicle...made no difference.

Last edited by Knicksfan; 02-19-06 at 05:00 PM. Reason: new info
Old 02-23-06 | 09:16 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Latest update

Vaistech claims that they are aware of the problem. I now need to unistall universal unit and ship to them where they will upgrade with a new chip. Of course I tried to get them to send a new unit first but no deal.

Hope this cures the NAV interference problem - but the charm of this is fading fast.
Old 02-24-06 | 07:42 PM
no1sportz
Driver School Candidate

I contacted them yesterday about my unit and was able to get a full refund. I bought mine on Jan. 11. They didn't hassle me about it either. I was taken care of right away.
Old 02-27-06 | 06:43 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Knicksfan
Vaistech claims that they are aware of the problem. I now need to unistall universal unit and ship to them where they will upgrade with a new chip. Of course I tried to get them to send a new unit first but no deal.

Hope this cures the NAV interference problem - but the charm of this is fading fast.
The problem lies with the satellite radio, not the VAISTech unit. I have an XM Roady in my GX and just have it sitting loose in the car. I've moved the antenna just like you did but it didn't help much.

Funny thing is, we have 2 GX's one early '04 and one very late '04 build. And I have an XM Roady in the first and a Roady2 in the 2nd. I have lots of trouble with the first combo and hardly any with the 2nd combo.

I haven't done the scientific method and swapped the Roady's to see if the problem lies with the Roady or the build model of the truck. My guess is that the Roady2 is shielded better.

I would check the satellite radio forum because those guys had some ideas about shielding the receiver.