GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Hid 6000k From Superhids.com Installation And Experience, is this really a BOHMEN?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 11:53 PM
erix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Hid 6000k From Superhids.com Installation And Experience, is this really a BOHMEN?

finanlly, bought and received HID 6000K from superhids.com, the box is BOHMEN, but inside, only thissee pic 1)
I know it should be like this
yes it come with harness with relay, but the bulbs look and packed cheap, they were mailed from hongkong, and stated $85 each, so totally should be $190 include $20 for harness. hmmmmm, I paid $300 to superhids.com. there is even a chinese manual for harness and relay inside the package, so maybe this kit is actully an CHinese product? are they scam?

after I installed the hid, I changed parking light easily, but when I change side marker, the led doesnt fit in, I think the led is too long, it even falled into the inside of the light cover, I have no way to take it out from that small a hole, and there was even no room for my hand to move around the hole, thanks my wife's thin finger, she used bond aid to take it out in 30 mins.

so I gave up changing the side marker(maybe later when I buy a shorter one?)

the most important thing is, the light pattern, it is brighter, but, when I turn them on, in front of the car, there is a dark area between lightened area, and the dark area is very long, in another word, there almost no light between two bright area. my wife said it was like this before I changed the HId, but I didnt notice. anyone can confirm this? do they need a warm up ? or do I have to adjust to make the beam from two bulbs more concentrated?

anyway, I took about 4 hours to finish this,with two kids around(1 yr old and 2 yr old), and I am not very satisfied with superhids,

here are some pic during installation, a little bit different from that guys guide, since I beleive 03 is different from 04, some place that thread said changed by lexus, so no way to put the ballast in like he did for instance.

Last edited by erix; 02-09-06 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-09-06, 11:54 PM
erix
Driver School Candidate

Old 02-10-06, 09:45 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Your post illustrates why I'd rather go with xenondepot.com

The prices are still good and there is no BS like you describe.
Old 02-10-06, 10:21 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default If it works that is all that matters.

You should have gone with the thinner ballasts from Xenondepot for about 75 bucks more and you would have gotten all Phillips components. Not to mention a warranty and good customer service.

But if the kit you bought works that is all that counts.
Old 02-10-06, 01:58 PM
erix
Driver School Candidate

thx for reply, but how about the light pattern? anyone can take a pic for me? I will take a pic tonight on mine.
Old 02-10-06, 05:18 PM
steevr
Pole Position

I can take a pic of our Xenon Depot light pattern on the garage door. It's exactly how the halogen pattern was because the HID and halogen have the same focal length from the base.

The wife's gone all weekend, so I'll take pics Sunday night.
Old 02-10-06, 11:17 PM
erix
Driver School Candidate

thx my friend, just took some pics, I think something wrong with the focus, see, even the two side light shape are not same. but I dont remember I touched anything during installing, is that easy to mess up the focus?

if it is the focus problem, should I go to the service center to ask them to fix for me? they gotta charge on that ? just got 10000 mile check this monday.

Old 02-10-06, 11:51 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Looks like the bulbs are not seated properly or they were not alligned properly in manufacturing. Just to let you know those ballast will most likely fail with in 1 year. The problem is components inside the ballast are made of poor quality and inside a ballast if any little resistor/transistor fails the ballast shuts down. Try rotating the bulbs to see if you can move them anymore, then you might get the light to focus.
Old 02-11-06, 07:20 AM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Check the light bulbs if they are installed intact. Did it happened to your stock lights? Was the pattern like now? If so, probably it's just the height of the headlamp you need to adjust.
If not, then something wrong with the kit.
Old 02-11-06, 07:29 AM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

If you want to check the pattern, here:
Old 02-11-06, 07:32 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default What kit did you use

Just curious- I like your light pattern and will need to buy a kit when my GX finally gets here. Damn factory orders take forever! So far I am almost certain to get th xenondepot 4300 kit.
Old 02-11-06, 12:31 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erix,

Looks like something isn't right with your bulbs, the pics that you took show a NON uniform pattern with some shadowing effect... The light pattern that Dave published is what I get on my 6000k kit.

Just a quick thought, since it looks you you still have the halogen bulbs close by, I would just "momentarily" disable the HID kit, replace the H11 Halogens and then take another snapshot of the light/beam pattern to see if you still see the "shadowy" anomaly.

IF it is still there, I would then dismantle the HID kit, drive over to dealer and ask them to adjust the headlights for you...

Just my $.02...

-Alex
Old 02-11-06, 12:48 PM
erix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Erix,

Looks like something isn't right with your bulbs, the pics that you took show a NON uniform pattern with some shadowing effect... The light pattern that Dave published is what I get on my 6000k kit.

Just a quick thought, since it looks you you still have the halogen bulbs close by, I would just "momentarily" disable the HID kit, replace the H11 Halogens and then take another snapshot of the light/beam pattern to see if you still see the "shadowy" anomaly.

IF it is still there, I would then dismantle the HID kit, drive over to dealer and ask them to adjust the headlights for you...

Just my $.02...

-Alex

think about I spent 4 hours on installation, so a little bit afriad of do it again, but seems this is the only way to go, thanks buddy, I will try to change the stock bulb back this afternoon and take a pic for you guys for more comments.
Old 02-11-06, 01:28 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Erix,

DavidsGX beat me to posting the pictures, but my XenonDepot 4300K looks EXACTLY like Davids pattern.

My suggestion is to pop out one of the HID bulbs and hold it side-by-side to your halogen bulb. Line the flat part of the bases (the side of the base that touches the bulb). Your halogen filament must be the same distance from the base as the arc bulb on the HID is from its base. If not, your light source on the HID is at a different focal point than your factory halogen and your light is going to be coming out all over the place (the light pattern you're seeing on your garage door). If that's the case, there's nothing you can do do your projector unit to get it in focus.

One more thing to check....make sure the HID bulbs don't have any kind of a metal shield that covers the bulb. If it does, they sent you the wrong type of bulb. D2S bulbs are made for projector units, and the D2R bulbs have a shield and are made for reflector units.

BTW, may factory halogen light pattern looks like David's picture also.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by steevr; 02-11-06 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-11-06, 03:41 PM
erix
Driver School Candidate

there is no meatal shield around the bulb, I just played around it, still no luck, I took another pic , have a look. is that ok for the stock bulb?
I tried to adjust the beam height, the ugly focus still there, there is no way to pull the bulb base out a little bit or push it in. it is very firm.
yes, the HId bulb's filament is backward a little bit than the stock one. about 2 mm ,

I wonder, if I buy a philips kit, maybe still like this?

Originally Posted by steevr
Erix,

DavidsGX beat me to posting the pictures, but my XenonDepot 4300K looks EXACTLY like Davids pattern.

My suggestion is to pop out one of the HID bulbs and hold it side-by-side to your halogen bulb. Line the flat part of the bases (the side of the base that touches the bulb). Your halogen filament must be the same distance from the base as the arc bulb on the HID is from its base. If not, your light source on the HID is at a different focal point than your factory halogen and your light is going to be coming out all over the place (the light pattern you're seeing on your garage door). If that's the case, there's nothing you can do do your projector unit to get it in focus.

One more thing to check....make sure the HID bulbs don't have any kind of a metal shield that covers the bulb. If it does, they sent you the wrong type of bulb. D2S bulbs are made for projector units, and the D2R bulbs have a shield and are made for reflector units.

BTW, may factory halogen light pattern looks like David's picture also.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: My Hid 6000k From Superhids.com Installation And Experience, is this really a BOHMEN?