GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help 470 Noise Problem - Dealer unable to fix so far

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 09:51 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good news- Do you have a copy of or reference number?

Originally Posted by no1sportz
Actually Lexus has issued a TSB for this exact issue. As someone mentioned above is has to do with a harmonic distortion with the front differential mounts. You should be able to get a list of TSBs for the GX470 from your local dealer. It will include the parts list needed for this fix. They may not want to fix it but they have to! Press them and don't let up. The 4Runner (brother to the GX) has the exact issue since they are mechanical twins. Unfortunately Toyota owners have no hope since Toyota is only addressing the Lexus fix. You are lucky!

It'd be nice to have hard proof if/when the issue ever arises.
Old 03-25-06, 04:32 AM
mjc99
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem

My '06 w/out KDSS has the same harmonic drone problem. It drives me crazy. No one mentioned it when i bought the truck and the dealer is not near a highway where the test drive would hav revealed the issue.

When I first raised the issue they immediately offered to take the truck back and sell me an LX at cost (didn't want to spend another 12k). I have saved voicemails from Lexus service reps admitting the problem exists. Now I am getting the "they all do it". It is ridiculous for a 50k + vehicle to have this as a design problem. Last time in they balanced the tires to supposedly fix the problem. No fix. They get one more chance and then I go lemon law.

If this problem didn't exist, this truck would be near perfect for me. Too bad. Until now I have been very satisfied and impressed with Lexus and its service (still have an '03 SC430) after abandoning Mercedes.

I'll update if I make any progress.
Old 03-25-06, 07:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

truck is the key word here... I think most ppl had it dissapear after 10,000 miles or so?
Old 03-26-06, 12:06 PM
knolex2001
Driver

My technician says it's the driveshaft. Lexus is putting counterweights on it to minimize it, but it hasn't gone away completely. Thing is, if the GX was as loud as it's competitors, no one would ever notice it.

Also, don't worry about fighting your local Lexus dealer about "fixing" the problem. You don't have to get into a conflict with your Service Department to get what you want. Lexus watches their dealers so closely, and supports them above and beond the call of duty. Now, if they are genuinely working on a fix that they haven't resolved yet, don't think that the person you are talking to is hiding something from you. A fix may not be available yet.
Old 03-27-06, 10:04 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Just a note - I have it on mine with 53k on the clock - had it since day one. They replaced my driveshaft once - and tried the weighting fix as well. No change.
Old 04-08-06, 07:36 AM
mjc99
Driver School Candidate

Default Update - Lexus and Lexus of Northorough (MA) not standing behind product

So here is my update to the harmonic noise/vibration.

I have had my car into Lexus of Northborough (LON) 3 times for this problem.

Visit one (2/13/06): Service admits problem. Questions why Lexus parent hasn't fixed it. Need to have Lexus Corp rep drive car. Send me home to wait for Lexus Corp rep.

Visit two (2/23/06): LON head of service admits problem as does Lexus Corp rep. Suggested fix - balance tires and send me home. I tend to pick up my car after service closes and noted that the service order showed no test drive of the vehicle after the tire balance. Call back saying problem is still there and am told I again need to wait for the Lexus Corp rep to be back in town.

Visit three (3/30/06): LON head of service again admits problem as does Lexus Corp rep and now the position (left by voicemail) is that the "Truck is operating as designed". Direct quote. Couldn't reach the service manager so I left a message saying I was dissappointed that they were taking this position, I would picking up my truck, that when I got there I wanted copies of the sales materials and operating manual pages that described that this truck would have this "feature" and that I would be dealing directly with Lexus Corp. Not surprisingly there was no such documentation provided when I picked up the truck. I have not heard anything from LON since.

(4/1/06) Called Lexus customer service who (on 4/5/06), by voicemail, informs me that they spoke to LON and that "The vehicle is operating as designed". Hmmm this must be their new mantra. In any event, I take this as an addmission that the vehicle has a design flaw.

I called Lexus customer service back on 4/7/06 and the person I was dealing with was not there and has not called me back.

My position here is that this is a defect. Any system of rotational part that pulses/virbrates is out of balance (yes, unless it has a cam or off center actuator and is intended to work that way, I know) and will lead to premature failure of the system. That doesn't even consider the incredibly sound/feel in the truck.

Lexus is not standing behind this vehicle.

Next step will be to exercise my rights under the MA lemon law.

I would also seriously caution anyone considering purchasing this truck to think twice. At a minimum, drive it on the highway at between 60-75 and determine if it has this issue.

Per my earlier post, this is rally too bad as this could be a perfect truck. This however is a serious design flaw and Lexus is trying to hide from it. Until now I have been very happy with Lexus and LON.