GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

The Height Of Your Gx, Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06 | 05:44 PM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leot
enough already

my garage opening; floor to header is 75 13/16 inches

my 2005 GX fits under it with no problem . I have the roof rack

I will say as you watch the GX going in, it looks like it won't fit, but it does easily

leot
Sweet, my garage from floor to the garage door is about 77 Inches.

1 question for any handyman out there....my garage door, when opened, still hangs over a little caused by the springs.

It is possible to adjust the springs so to have the garage door not hang over and slide all the way up and stay in that position? I always open the garage and once opened, when the garage door is in a stationary position still hangs over which cuts down a few inches off what I can drive into the garage.
Old 03-02-06 | 06:18 PM
GXPrado
Driver

Originally Posted by gs400jon
Think about what you are saying. Even if you could balance a stick on the crown of the rack, it can be leaning slightly...easily an inch, to one side or the other, over the few feet to measure outboard of the truck body..
if you can't figure this out, measuring the height of something is the least of your worries
Old 03-02-06 | 06:36 PM
caha14
Racer

Default A couple of thoughts...

Originally Posted by petsb10

1 question for any handyman out there....my garage door, when opened, still hangs over a little caused by the springs.

It is possible to adjust the springs so to have the garage door not hang over and slide all the way up and stay in that position? I always open the garage and once opened, when the garage door is in a stationary position still hangs over which cuts down a few inches off what I can drive into the garage.
I had a similar issue back in '04. The funny thing is the garage clearance at work was 6' 4", which should have been plenty. However, the hanging bars they use at the entrances are not placed too accurately. I tried all 3 entrances (while my wife watched outside to ensure I didn't hit anything), and in one I had about 1" clearance on "normal", the other one I cleared by a bit less, and the third one required lowering!

Lowering always helps, since the highest point on the roof is a bit closer to the back. As long as the speed is kept below 15 (or maybe 10, not sure here), the suspension will NOT come back to N automatically.

Another little anecdote... We were traveling to a wedding last summer, and I called the hotel to make sure the GX would fit. They said 6'8", so I thought I was ok, but when we got there, the sign actually said 6'3", which left exactly 0.4" of clearance if I was lucky! After stressing out and swearing up a storm, I lowered the suspension and went in VERY slowly without a problem.

Regarding the garage door, the opener should have 2 travel adjustment screws where the light bulbs go. You want to very slightly adjust upward travel so that the opener pulls the door a tad more. There should also be force adjustment screws, but you shouldn't have to touch those.
Old 03-06-06 | 05:19 PM
squeege
Driver

Default Height

Very coincidentally someone parked a GX outside my house tonight, never seen it here before. I went outside with my measuring tape, BUT could not get a good reading because of the slant in the road and the roofrack height was hard to read.

There's the difference between the North & South. When I lived in NY, I would have had the same thought process. I've been in Texas for 12 years, and I am sure an owner here would have loved to drive it into my garage for sizing for me.

Louise
Old 03-08-06 | 10:59 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by petsb10

caha answered, IF you have a garage door opener, actually pretty easy. You don't mess with (and you do NOT want to, unless you know what you are doing) the big door springs.

If you don't have an opener, you are out of luck. The springs are at there maximum compression when the door is all the way down (to assist you in lifting the heavy door). When the door is up, there is no (or almost no) compression. If you tried to tighten them up, with it open to help pull it up, then they would be WAY too tight, for closing the door. The only recourse (besides getting an opener) would be to relocate the springs higher (further up the wall from the door, and see if you could tighten them enough to get some lift when fully open and still be able to close the door. No guarantee that would work.
Old 03-08-06 | 06:55 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

This weekend I had to park at a hotel with a metal bar and sign that said 6"6" maximum. I went REALLY slow under that bar, much to the consternation of the cars behind me. Then, since I was looking out the top, I didn't get the parking ticket and they had to wait for my daughter to get out the back and get it - thankfully the event was an annual meeting of Girl Scout leaders and officers so if there was cursing it wasn't loud enough for me to hear

Of course I had to go way up for a spot, and then drive around several times looking for the mismarked exit - that ceiling was LOW, with metal hangings. I think the moon roof is standard so we can look out the top as we drive through a garage.

As far as Pet's question on the spring, the door shouldn't be hanging that low - it should be pretty much resting horizontally in the open position. Assuming this is a plain mechanical manual door, a few possibilities:
You may need new springs, if these are not tight when you pull them down. I replaced these myself once. Afterwards I realized what a dumb thing that was to do - those things have a lot of force and it is possible to get really hurt. They also come color coded for different spring constants, which control how tight they are and need to be chosen based on size and weight of the door.

The springs can also be attached to different holes in most setups. Again, what looks simple and easy can be very dangerous. They also need to have safety wires.

Get some local recommendations and get a garage door installer to come out and do it.