GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

The Height Of Your Gx, Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 07:11 PM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Height Of Your Gx, Help!!!!

Hi, I am asking a huge favor of any GX owners, any help would be greatly appreciated and most likely help me in buying the GX.

I am renting a garage in my apartment complex and the height of the garage is approx. 77-78 inches tall. Now I know on the Lexus website the GX is listed at 74 .6 Inches tall(CUTTING IT SO CLOSE), however I have a feeling that MIGHT NOT be accurate.

The GX might be even taller than that and I am not sure if the height listed on the site INCLUDES THE ROOFRACK?

If anyone has any free time to measure the height of their GX INCLUDING ROOF RACK, you would be doing me a HUGE favor. If the GX is taller than 77 Inches I might be out of luck in getting it because I only will park it in a garage, I could never leave it outside every night.

The more responses the better, THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!!!
The following users liked this post:
Kisel17 (10-16-22)
Old 03-01-06, 08:15 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Dealers will usually let you drive the car home to see how things will work out.

~ Cap
Old 03-01-06, 09:12 PM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Would you think that all GX's are basically the same height give or take an inch??
Old 03-01-06, 09:15 PM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Very coincidentally someone parked a GX outside my house tonight, never seen it here before. I went outside with my measuring tape, BUT could not get a good reading because of the slant in the road and the roofrack height was hard to read.

Thank goodness the owner didnt come out...
Old 03-01-06, 09:38 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by petsb10
Hi, I am asking a huge favor of any GX owners, any help would be greatly appreciated and most likely help me in buying the GX.

I am renting a garage in my apartment complex and the height of the garage is approx. 77-78 inches tall. Now I know on the Lexus website the GX is listed at 74 .6 Inches tall(CUTTING IT SO CLOSE), however I have a feeling that MIGHT NOT be accurate.

The GX might be even taller than that and I am not sure if the height listed on the site INCLUDES THE ROOFRACK?

If anyone has any free time to measure the height of their GX INCLUDING ROOF RACK, you would be doing me a HUGE favor. If the GX is taller than 77 Inches I might be out of luck in getting it because I only will park it in a garage, I could never leave it outside every night.

The more responses the better, THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!!!
The only sure way is to bring the GX home. With the curve in the roof rack, an accurate measurement is impossible.
Old 03-02-06, 03:27 AM
rklages
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lexus spec says this

Height (in. / mm) 74.6 / 1,895

Rob
Old 03-02-06, 12:08 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Laser

I have a laser used for shooting grades and elevations. I might be able to take it home and measure the difference between the ground and top of the truck.

Also remember you can lower the suspension and that should make up about an inch and a half. Maybe someone can confirm that.
Old 03-02-06, 12:10 PM
GXPrado
Driver

just take a broom handle or something and lay it across the top of the rack rails. Measure up to the handle.
Old 03-02-06, 12:35 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by GXPrado
just take a broom handle or something and lay it across the top of the rack rails. Measure up to the handle.
The rack is curved. That's why it's hard to measure. Last night I went out to do what you are suggesting and made that discovery.
Old 03-02-06, 12:46 PM
GXPrado
Driver

omg, how about putting it on the highest point?
Old 03-02-06, 02:09 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally Posted by GXPrado
omg, how about putting it on the highest point?
Think about what you are saying. Even if you could balance a stick on the crown of the rack, it can be leaning slightly...easily an inch, to one side or the other, over the few feet to measure outboard of the truck body..
Old 03-02-06, 02:13 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by looknow12
Also remember you can lower the suspension and that should make up about an inch and a half. Maybe someone can confirm that.
Suspension adjusts ONLY the rear.

Also, it would be dangerous, as I believe it returns to Normal on a power off/on. If you were that close, you would have to remember EVERY time to lower it upon starting out or disaster!

OP, needs to remember approach angle, also, unless his driveway is perfectly flat into the garage.
Old 03-02-06, 02:39 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by loflin
Suspension adjusts ONLY the rear.

My biggest surprise was when I came home with a very heavy load of tile. The truck remained level with the load, but when I unloaded it, the rear-end lifted up to a surprisingly height.

~ Cap
Old 03-02-06, 03:05 PM
leot
Driver School Candidate

Smile garage opening height

enough already

my garage opening; floor to header is 75 13/16 inches

my 2005 GX fits under it with no problem . I have the roof rack

I will say as you watch the GX going in, it looks like it won't fit, but it does easily

leot
Old 03-02-06, 05:31 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by petsb10

The Lexus web site says "Measurement of vehicle in Rear Adjustable Height Control (RAHC) Normal setting."

I measured the height of my car to the top of the roof rack. It's 74 3/8".

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: The Height Of Your Gx, Help!!!!