GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

XM integrated with Nav/ML?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 03:59 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
\ Did they install an antenna anywhere on your truck?

They said something about an addtional aux port available for an Ipod? Did you get that extra port and where do you plug into it?

CV
They installed a small magnetic antenna on the roof, near the right rear. You can't see it unless your eyes are higher than the roof line.

There is an extra stereo input, all you need to do is run a cable out to dangle somewhere if you want to use it. When selecting the input on the radio, it cycles through both the XM and the aux port.

I set the display to mode 8 per the directions and the minidisc number is always 12, the track number is the channel number and the minutes/seconds are always zero.

Sound quality is excellent, and the signal strength is usually up around 99 unless I am in something shading the antenna. I have to wonder if there is a terrestrial repeater near me, as in my garage I get 55 and even inside the dealer's garage we were getting 15-20. Even when the signal is down around 10 I get very good audio quality.

Vaistech is suposed to be coming out in a few months with the SLXI which does both XM and iPod, but since I don't use an iPod I didn't want to wait for it.

More details on the SLX are available at

http://www.vaistech.com/slx.html

Old 03-27-06, 09:28 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lepoch
They installed a small magnetic antenna on the roof, near the right rear. You can't see it unless your eyes are higher than the roof line.

There is an extra stereo input, all you need to do is run a cable out to dangle somewhere if you want to use it. When selecting the input on the radio, it cycles through both the XM and the aux port.

I set the display to mode 8 per the directions and the minidisc number is always 12, the track number is the channel number and the minutes/seconds are always zero.

Sound quality is excellent, and the signal strength is usually up around 99 unless I am in something shading the antenna. I have to wonder if there is a terrestrial repeater near me, as in my garage I get 55 and even inside the dealer's garage we were getting 15-20. Even when the signal is down around 10 I get very good audio quality.

Vaistech is suposed to be coming out in a few months with the SLXI which does both XM and iPod, but since I don't use an iPod I didn't want to wait for it.

More details on the SLX are available at

http://www.vaistech.com/slx.html

You were right...it is awesome!
Old 03-27-06, 09:52 AM
Rick0731
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the SLX in my '06 this past weekend. Everything went smooth and it took me about 2 hours taking my time. The device works as designed. It and my Terk xm box mounted well behind the glove box and disc changer. I highly recommend this product for someone wanting easy xm integration. I installed the antenna behind the roof rack bracket slightly behind the sunroof on the passenger side. Hid the wire under the weatherstripping, down the side of the windshield, and pushed it through the firewall to the xm box. Can't see the antenna unless you get above the roofline and I thought this was easier than going all the way from the back....
Old 03-27-06, 10:44 AM
lepoch
Rookie

Check out the vaistech web site now---they are now saying they can emulate the SAT mode directly instead of the MD Text emulation. I just sent them an email asking if the unit I have that is three weeks old can emulate SAT mode (the new installers guide on their website is dated 3/22).
Old 03-28-06, 11:10 AM
lepoch
Rookie

Vaistech says version 4.14 and higher has the sat mode. I have 4.12 but they said I could send it in for an upgrade. I think I'll wait until the SLXI comes out and just get that.
Old 03-30-06, 06:48 PM
Rick0731
Driver School Candidate

I set mine to emulate in SAT mode. Works nicely. I'm enjoying xm and the function of the unit as it works perfectly. I'm now looking into getting rid of the nagging "I agree" on the nav at startup.
Old 03-30-06, 07:00 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rick0731
I set mine to emulate in SAT mode. Works nicely. I'm enjoying xm and the function of the unit as it works perfectly. I'm now looking into getting rid of the nagging "I agree" on the nav at startup.
Can you switch to the channel name/artist/song display while moving? Does it update when a new song comes on or do you have to press anything? Thanks.
Old 03-30-06, 07:24 PM
Rick0731
Driver School Candidate

You can change channels, presets, go to SAT2, or perform any other function while driving. And yes the artist and song does update when a new one begins.
Old 03-31-06, 10:35 AM
wld
Driver School Candidate

In addition to the Vasitech unit, Lexus part number 86100-0W100 - XM SATELLITE RADIO fro the ES 330 will work in the "06 GX. Just installed the kit in my vehicle. I've had both systems in different vehicles and they perform similarly and cost approximately the same.

The advantage to the vasitech is the additional input. If I had it to do over agin I would probably go with thhat unit over the Lexus XM product.
Old 03-31-06, 04:35 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rick0731
You can change channels, presets, go to SAT2, or perform any other function while driving. And yes the artist and song does update when a new one begins.

Thanks! I guess I'll have to dig the unit out of the GX and re-program it....