GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

So... where do you put your lose change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 02:06 PM
trebien
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So... where do you put your lose change?

Can't seem to find a change holder in this thing. Did they actually overlook that necessity?

Where am I going to put the change after I drive through Starbucks???

I don't like it sliding around in the cupholers. Besides, where do I put the Chai Latte?

Quite the catch 22.
Old 03-14-06, 02:31 PM
leot
Driver School Candidate

Default change

if you can find an old silly putty container, it fits perfectly in the cup holder. Holds lots of change snugly, and it is rugged; mine are 8 to 10 years old. that still leaves one cup holder for your latte

leot
Old 03-14-06, 02:33 PM
2006lx470
Driver

try your pocket

or wear pocket shirts
Old 03-14-06, 04:47 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are not a smoker, convert your ash tray into a coin tray. Wait, does the 06 have a ash tray. I heard rumors that the 06 doesnt have the ash tray anymore. If so, what did they put there in its place?
Old 03-14-06, 06:46 PM
Aterrex
Driver

Most def in the ash collector. I remeber when teh ls-400 actually had like little despensor things for change. I wonder why lexus got rid of that.
Old 03-14-06, 06:50 PM
trebien
Driver

My 2006 definitely has an ashtray - on the left side of the center stack.

Think I answered my own question... How would this work - would it fit? Not bad for $25. Looks felt-lined so I wouldn't have to listen to the coins rattle around.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=844

Old 03-14-06, 06:51 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 06 has a tiny, flimsy, ash tray. The change rattles in there, and it is very hard to get out - probably worse for a guy with thicker fingers.

I tried using the ashtray for change for tolls. The 06 ashtray has a large quick release lever that takes up most of the tray. While fumbling for change at the toll booth, my finger must have hit the lever, because the ashtray came flying out and change went flying under my feet and all over the front inside of the car. People behind me were not happy.

I bought an EasyPass last week (thanks to the folks here who gave me tips on where to install it).and that solves some of the problem. I put the loose change in my pockets. I suppose I could put a small change purse in the tiny storage compartment between the seats, but that is that is premium real estate! Whoever designed this car must have been one of those minimalists that doesn't carry anything but still likes to drive a huge SUV.

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-06, 08:35 PM
lexbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

This is probably the most to the point post on the forum... I wholehartedly agree, that this car has everything BUT the change tray.... I will take the Lexus over a Benz anytime but BENZes have PLENTY of cup holders AND a coin collector.... I wonder if Japan is now a Paper-only country though Yens are still coins at any rate, it truly amazes me that the car does not have a coin holder...

Originally Posted by trebien
Can't seem to find a change holder in this thing. Did they actually overlook that necessity?

Where am I going to put the change after I drive through Starbucks???

I don't like it sliding around in the cupholers. Besides, where do I put the Chai Latte?

Quite the catch 22.
Old 03-15-06, 05:07 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Think I answered my own question... How would this work - would it fit? Not bad for $25. Looks felt-lined so I wouldn't have to listen to the coins rattle around.

I bought that last year and installed it - works great and is an easy mod.
Old 03-15-06, 06:45 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

My kids... They have all of my loose change now...
Old 03-15-06, 08:04 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you are not a smoker, convert your ash tray into a coin tray. Wait, does the 06 have a ash tray. I heard rumors that the 06 doesnt have the ash tray anymore. If so, what did they put there in its place?
Yes, my 06 has an ashtray. in fact, to my surprise, there are two in the back also.
Old 03-15-06, 08:15 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Damn, if I had this, I wouldn't have to give the kids my loose change anymore... But alas, my wood dash trim kit covers this piece and wouldn't be able to replace it... Does anyone know if this is just an insert or is it the whote tray... If it's just the insert, I'm picking one up ASAP...

-Alex
Old 03-15-06, 09:18 AM
trebien
Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I bought that last year and installed it - works great and is an easy mod.
Thanks for the feedback. I might get one.

Lonewolf - not exactly sure what you're getting at, but the front plastic piece of my ashtray looks like it would pop off fairly easily. I bet it could be added to this coin holder, in place of the original piece - they look very similar. There are 2 little tabs on the bottom that hold on the front plastic.
Old 03-15-06, 10:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If the 06 has a ash tray, then just pull out the old ash tray and insert the coin tray, take less than a minute to do. As you can tell, the coin tray is nothing more than just the ash tray with felt lining. If you have the time, just go buy some felt lining with adhesive backing from a art and craft store and lined the ash tray yourself. I pick up some black felt cloth and my wife put them on for me, works like a charm.
Old 03-15-06, 08:15 PM
Tengbt
Driver School Candidate

yes, just line the tray. i did that after advice fm another member who posted the same question couple of years ago. use double sided tape on to ultrasuede or similar fabric. works like a charm. coins does not rattle at all, and save the $25 for the oversize garage fee

Quick Reply: So... where do you put your lose change?