GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Passed on the GX- Thanks For All Your Advice - Good Luck To All

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 01:56 PM
98Nav400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just re-read my post....

I should get a little coffee in me before typing. I guess my wife is right, I am a little grump in the morning.
Old 03-17-06, 02:22 PM
TomGXer
Rookie

Default I thought it was good...

RE: 98Nav400's post

I mean seriously, who cares what the guy got. Im pretty sure none of us (or few of us) own shares in Toyota/Lexus. So seriously, wish the guy well with his new ride and be done with it. Off line it would be like sucker punching somebody because they just got out of an LR3....pretty stupid.

T.
Old 03-17-06, 04:03 PM
trebien
Driver

Originally Posted by 98Nav400
Just re-read my post....

I should get a little coffee in me before typing. I guess my wife is right, I am a little grump in the morning.
I see nothing wrong with your post, and agree with most points. No vehicle is perfect, and the GX has it's share of faults, especially in this luxury market (such as cartridge CD changer, no MP3 ability, no factory SAT radio, no adjustable pedals, no place to put change, limited adjustability of passenger seat, HIDs, etc.)

On paper, they are extremely similar vehicles with similar capabilities, features and prestige that basically cater to the same market. The primary differences are in more esoteric terms such as reliability and resale values.

Originally Posted by rklages
I never looked at an LR3 - never loved the looks of it and always been a bit scared of the reliability (which might be a thing of the past now that it has more BMW in it.
Um, BMW would make you less scared of reliability? How does it make you feel now that Ford owns Rover?

Old 03-17-06, 04:13 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Never had too many problems with BMW's, but when they go wrong they are expensive. It's not a Japanese car for sure, but they are more reliable than most things made in England (not that that equates to much anymore with Ford owning Rover and Jag and BMW owning Rolls and Mini's!). At least there are no Lucas electronics on the Beamers! Then again I never had a BMW with suspension that leaned, a drive axle that clunks and aparently is so elusive no one can figure out how to fix it, and none had exhaust that smelled like wrotten eggs. I guess nothing is perfect - but Lexus is pretty close!

Rob
Old 03-17-06, 04:48 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I believe that Range Rover is the last BMW-influenced design. LR3 and RRS are pure Ford creations in the image of RR to fit into the model line.
Old 03-18-06, 05:08 AM
rklages
Pole Position

is the V8 4.4 liter option in the LR3 the the BMW 4.4 liter, or is it just a coincidence and a Ford motor now?
Old 03-18-06, 05:09 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rklages
is the V8 4.4 liter option in the LR3 the the BMW 4.4 liter, or is it just a coincidence and a Ford motor now?
It is the bored out version of the 4.0L V8 in Jaguar cars i think.
Old 03-18-06, 07:27 AM
2006lx470
Driver

does anyone here no what ford stands for
Old 03-18-06, 09:00 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2006lx470
That Fix Or Repair Daily was from my father's day, and he was a World War II vet.

Growing up in the 50's and 60's, Japanese was a synomyn for cheap and low quality. Caddis were the elite car of choice for those few who could afford them.

I had a 1996 Ford Explorer, kept it for 10 years - it was the most reliable and trouble free vehicle I ever owned.

The point is, times not only change but go back and forth. Today I would really be concerned about Ford quality, as they seem to have chosen to sell on price instead of quality once again. But I could have gotten two Explorers for the price of my 2006GX, so there is no free ride and you pays your money and makes your choices.

Let's let this guy and anyone else enjoy their new ride, whatever they buy.
Old 03-18-06, 12:53 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006lx470
As SilverLady said and also:

Found On Road Dead
Old 03-18-06, 05:48 PM
2006lx470
Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
As SilverLady said and also:

Found On Road Dead

you got it
Old 03-19-06, 06:13 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Luck Petsb, enjoy your truck.

I'm actually a bit surprised by one or two of the responses from some of the members here. Guys and Girls, why get upset if someone likes the LR3 vs. GX470? Supposing it was vanilla ice cream vs. chocolate, or Hagen Daas vs. Breyers...

Bottom line it's an individual's decision, they can't help what they like, so enough with the bashing and let's get back to enjoy our ice cream, er driving...

-Alex
Old 03-19-06, 10:26 AM
GXPrado
Driver

If they are happy with their decision, than that's all that is important for them. It is a large investment in a product so good luck with it.

Here are a few points I would like to speak to-
1. jerking the wheel at speed does not make the LR3 more safe than a GX or other SUV. The GX has VSC to prevent rollover situations(as most modern SUV's are being equipped with now).

Nothing is a substitute for common sense. If you use the piece of equipment behind your eyes, you won't need to worry about the rest.

2. The LR3 has IRS. This is not a long-term durable solution to offroading. It is a rock magnet (just look at the rear susp of the LR3) and complicates matters with maintence/durability compared to a solid axle. It will perform poorly with heavy loads or towing.
The only thing IRS will do is creat a smoother on-road ride. That is the sole reason it is put on a SUV.
It is a street design. You will not be seeing LR3's in places you regularly will see Land Cruiser Prados.

I feel the LR3 looks nearly identical to the Ford Explorer. That is unfortunate but easy to explain.

The LR3 seems to be less reliability, durability and capability. That does not = luxury to me. I don't care what it can do with 10 miles on the odo. I care what it can do with 100,000 miles later..

I'm sure my comments will upset LR3 fans but for a street suv, I think it's great. You can feel and look the part although I consider reliability and durability part of the equation when paying more money for a product.

The really great Land Rovers are not avail. in the USA.
Overall, I consider the GX470 one of the best authentic SUV's you can buy new in the USA. JMHO.
Old 03-19-06, 04:50 PM
bliksem
Driver School Candidate

Enjoy the LR3!! Different strokes for different folks.

We got a new GX in May 2005, adn at that time we test drove the LR3, X5, GX and some others before buying the GX. The LR3 handled no better thna the GX without KDSS and it's ride was not as smooth adn soft as the GX. ANd it was noticeably slower than the 05+ GX. Maybe they improved it since we drove it. The LR3 does come with a host of doodads which is impressive. The one thing was that the LR3 was the only midsize SUV with a usable 3rd row seat for adults. We found the seats uncomfortable and interior space poorly used in the first 2 rows of seats, their is space but you just dont feel it when in it. Might feel different for other folks. On road the new V8 X5 blew the rest away in terms of performance, handling, ride, interior noise. Unfortunately it was the smallest inside, seats were very uncomfortable and not suitable for anything more than a dirt road.

There are a couple of things to watch for on the LR3, number one is the fact that Land Rover USA sucks. Number 2 is that LRs and the LR3 is no exception will have a number of issues. The LR3 is rated far below par in terms of reliability, right there with the Touareg. Doesn't mean it is the end of the world, but just be ready for it. Teh other thing is they advertise the lease adn maintenance deal that sounds similar to BMW, however BMW covers everything bumper to bumper. All you have to do is buy tires and put gas in it with the BMW. The lease with the LR was not the same. I asked about brakes, hoses, wipers, etc. AT that time (2005) I could see the sales and service guy (had him called into the room) getting uncomfortable. They do not cover a lot fo items under their maintenance plan or warranty that is considered normal wear items. And from personal experience, they try to rape you every single time you have work done to the vehicle. So make sure you read the fine print on the maintenance plan and lease. Hopefully they have changed it.

We replaced a LR Freelander with the GX, and so far the GX has been far cheaper to run mile for mile (including gas mileage, maintenance) and we only see the dealer for services instead of every 2nd month. So far the GF loves the GX and it has been a pleasure since day one.

So until LR and their dealers get their act together, they will not see a penny from me, no matter how tempting their product may look.
Old 03-20-06, 02:55 PM
lexbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

I jerked the wheel on my GX470 today while driving....... I CHANGED LANES....
LIFE IS GOOD..........

Quick Reply: Passed on the GX- Thanks For All Your Advice - Good Luck To All