GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Passed on the GX- Thanks For All Your Advice - Good Luck To All

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 07:54 PM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passed on the GX- Thanks For All Your Advice - Good Luck To All

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say my last goodbye before I sign off of this site. I decided to pass on the GX and have signed a lease for a Landrover LR3 HSE. Very similar to the GX with a V8 300 Horsepower engine, NAV, and some added features, 19 inch tires, and great safety features.

Thanks again for all your info and opinions. I wish you all the best with your GX's.

-Michael
Old 03-16-06, 08:52 PM
lexbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Very sad.... LR3 is not even close to the GX470, though not neccessarily a bad car... now if you would of gotten Range Rover Sport, that's a very different story. Land Rover is not in the same class as Lexus (more like a 4runner), I would even dare to say that it would be the full size Range Rover that would compete with the GX470 since I myself was interested in Range Rover Sport but for the money/features GX cannot be beat. LR3 has a tendency to flip over so good luck.
Old 03-16-06, 10:20 PM
gijoebruin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexbuddy
LR3 has a tendency to flip over so good luck.

I looked at the Range Rovers as well before I chose the LX470. The resale value was horrible and the maintenance / repairs even worse....but good luck
Old 03-16-06, 11:06 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i wouldn't mind leasing a Land Rover...but i'd never want to own one, my uncle's Discovery was a nightmare! the car was nothing but problems near the end of his lease.
he now drives a GX.

dan
Old 03-17-06, 06:01 AM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexbuddy
Hello,

Very sad.... LR3 is not even close to the GX470, though not neccessarily a bad car... now if you would of gotten Range Rover Sport, that's a very different story. Land Rover is not in the same class as Lexus (more like a 4runner), I would even dare to say that it would be the full size Range Rover that would compete with the GX470 since I myself was interested in Range Rover Sport but for the money/features GX cannot be beat. LR3 has a tendency to flip over so good luck.

Actually the LR3 is much safer than the GX, wake up buddy. When test driving the car, the salesman made a demonstration, we were going 50MPH, he jerked the wheel to one side then across to the other side, the suspension in the truck cuased us from rolling over.

Good Luck in your Lexus
Old 03-17-06, 06:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Petsb,
The suspension on a truck cannot keep the truck from rolling over, no matter how stiff or how soft it is. Unless you have the anti roll system like the one found in the Volvo XC90. Any salesman that would try a risky move like that during a test drive is very hard up trying to sell that truck. From what I understand, the LR3 is not selling too well. There is no need to argue which truck is safer, both the GX and the LR3 are very safe trucks. Dollar for dollar, the LR3 doesn't even come close to the GX when it comes to features and value, but sounds like money and reliability is not a big concern of yours. I agree with some earlier post, I would have went for the range rover sport too. The LR3 is not a very attractive vehicle, especially with that aquarium looking back section, and what’s up with those add on cup holders in the center console. I would never buy a LR3 due to its poor resale value and poor reliability. I would however consider leasing one, since all maintenance is covered during the leasing period, but I would have shell out another $100 or $150 a month for the sport.

Good Luck
Old 03-17-06, 07:32 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by petsb10
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say my last goodbye before I sign off of this site. I decided to pass on the GX and have signed a lease for a Landrover LR3 HSE. Very similar to the GX with a V8 300 Horsepower engine, NAV, and some added features, 19 inch tires, and great safety features.

Thanks again for all your info and opinions. I wish you all the best with your GX's.

-Michael
OUCH! Well, to each his own. Good Luck.
Old 03-17-06, 09:31 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Land Rover's have always appealed to me, as they have character in spades, and I still toy with picking-up a 2004 Discovery (now in the low $20's). I think the Range Rover Sport is just gorgeous. But the LR3 is almost 1000lbs heavier than the GX, so the extra horsepower is negated. Plus the GX actually has more torque. Pinks anyone?

The LR3 does have a better 3rd row seat thanks to its unibody construction.

I'm interested however that you leased it. Given that the resale value of the Discovery was dismal, as it has been for all Land Rovers, is Land Rover subsidizing the lease to at least make it competitive?

I would also recommend reading the current CR, and see where the LR3 ranked for reliability. For entertainment, I read Edmunds LR3 forums. GX owners whine about the endearing clunk and 65mph vibration. LR3 owners whine about failed transmissions, failed air suspensions, demonic electronics, gas tank failures etc.
Old 03-17-06, 10:02 AM
trebien
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would never buy a LR3 due to its poor resale value and poor reliability.
Exactly the reasons why I scratched it off the list, and why the GX was at the top. I had several other dislikes abouthe LR3, though - things would would get on my nerves over time.

To each their own, though.... good luck with the Rover.
Old 03-17-06, 10:03 AM
xikar
Driver School Candidate

The range rovers suck, i had one and it failed me more then i could remember! Even with the warrantee its a hasle when it breaks. I would go lexus over land rover any day. The Ranges Rovers may look a little more sexy and they have that sporty look as well, but they cant compare to the reliability of the GX. They get garbage reviews and resale value is at best pathetic...Just my thoughts. Good luck with that man.
Old 03-17-06, 10:30 AM
98Nav400
Driver

I hate posts like this......Not all Lexus owners are unreasonably biased...Congrat on your purchase/lease. I am sure you will enjoy your rig.

The range rover sucks? What a stupid statement!!!! It's a great vehicle that really upped the game in the Luxury SUV category. Hopefully, the LX will get a redesign this year as the styling is falling way behind in this category.

The LR3 is absolutely directly comparable to ours. The Discovery has nothing to do with the LR3 so not really worth mentioning...Just because it fills that slot in the line up does not make them the same vehicles. The 4 Runner in the same class....Stop drinking the Lexus koolaid at your over priced service appointment.

Range Rover Sport the same as a GX470? How? The Sport is a totally different vehicle much more comparable to a BMW 4.6, not ours. Both are designed towards on road performance while both the LR3 & GX470 towards offroad.

Reliability.."sounds like money and reliability are not issues of yours"--Another stupid statement. He leased the vehicle it; comes with a 4 year/50k warranty & COMPLIMENTARY services throughout the warranty period. While on this site every month you see a complaint about being charged $400-$500 for their 15k service. By the time we both reach 50k miles I will have spent over $1700 in service expenses with my GX while this dummy in the LR3 will have paid ------------- $0 -------- The new Land/Range Rovers are a much different vehicle than they weer previously, their reliability isn't prefect yet, but neither is our. Hold on I think I just got rear ended----never mind it was my driveline thumping. Phew!

I have had three Lexus' and currently have an '04 GX470. I looked at the LR3's but they were just coming out as I was shopping, so the supply and demand equation was totally off for me to get one the way I wanted at the time. I am not sure Iwhat I would have chosen but since they were brand new I really didn't consider it.

Guys we all drive Lexus' here. I would assume that means were educated, mature and have some level of success. Perhaps acting like it while on the internet wouldn't be a bad idea.

Pets.. Congrats on your vehicle I hope you enjoy it. Perhaps when you are looking next time Lexus will have a vehicle you will like more.
Old 03-17-06, 11:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 98Nav400
I hate posts like this......Not all Lexus owners are unreasonably biased...Congrat on your purchase/lease. I am sure you will enjoy your rig.

The range rover sucks? What a stupid statement!!!! It's a great vehicle that really upped the game in the Luxury SUV category. Hopefully, the LX will get a redesign this year as the styling is falling way behind in this category.

The LR3 is absolutely directly comparable to ours. The Discovery has nothing to do with the LR3 so not really worth mentioning...Just because it fills that slot in the line up does not make them the same vehicles. The 4 Runner in the same class....Stop drinking the Lexus koolaid at your over priced service appointment.

Range Rover Sport the same as a GX470? How? The Sport is a totally different vehicle much more comparable to a BMW 4.6, not ours. Both are designed towards on road performance while both the LR3 & GX470 towards offroad.

Reliability.."sounds like money and reliability are not issues of yours"--Another stupid statement. He leased the vehicle it; comes with a 4 year/50k warranty & COMPLIMENTARY services throughout the warranty period. While on this site every month you see a complaint about being charged $400-$500 for their 15k service. By the time we both reach 50k miles I will have spent over $1700 in service expenses with my GX while this dummy in the LR3 will have paid ------------- $0 -------- The new Land/Range Rovers are a much different vehicle than they weer previously, their reliability isn't prefect yet, but neither is our. Hold on I think I just got rear ended----never mind it was my driveline thumping. Phew!

I have had three Lexus' and currently have an '04 GX470. I looked at the LR3's but they were just coming out as I was shopping, so the supply and demand equation was totally off for me to get one the way I wanted at the time. I am not sure Iwhat I would have chosen but since they were brand new I really didn't consider it.

Guys we all drive Lexus' here. I would assume that means were educated, mature and have some level of success. Perhaps acting like it while on the internet wouldn't be a bad idea.

Pets.. Congrats on your vehicle I hope you enjoy it. Perhaps when you are looking next time Lexus will have a vehicle you will like more.
Great post.

Congrats on the Disco , not my choice but a nice SUV.
Old 03-17-06, 11:24 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bgsntth
The LR3 does have a better 3rd row seat thanks to its unibody construction.
Actually, the LR3 is a true body-on-frame design. The only difference between it and GX/4runner is that the body WRAPS AROUND the frame...fully integrated frame into the body. Therefore, if you look from the side, you do not see the frame (as you do in Gx/4runner).

LR3 is a true integrated body-on-frame design. (It is NOT a unibody with frame rails, as in Jeep Grand Cherokee or Honda Ridgeline.)

I agree with above...if you're leasing, then i would rather buy BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar, or any other manufacturer with free maintenance service. With a Lexus lease, it's like renting an apartment...you pay, but in the end, you have nothing to show for it. At least, with LR & BMW, your rent is free. But, this ONLY applies to leasing...otherwise, if i were to OWN a vehicle, it would be Toyota or Lexus.
Old 03-17-06, 11:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think we all agree that the LR3 is worth leasing but not worth buying. Another thing about the Rover is that the buying experience is nice but they treat you like crap at the service department afterward.
Old 03-17-06, 01:40 PM
rklages
Pole Position

I never looked at an LR3 - never loved the looks of it and always been a bit scared of the reliability (which might be a thing of the past now that it has more BMW in it.

I took a look at the website though and what a nice car - very similiar to the GX in size, seating and options, I almost think I should have looked at it now. It has a lower base price, although optioned out with the V8 is very comparable and has a bunch of nice options we can't get, heated windshield, 18" rims, 6 speed tranny, more horsepower and comes with all the nice things we have, air ride, nav, high end stereo, KDSS similiar thing.

Good job on the purchase, I think it is very good competition for the GX and certainly doesn't give up anything much. At least no one will ask you why you spent so much money on a prettier 4runner!

Enjoy the truck - I love my lexus, but I think I could love an LR3 also! I hope you can find a forum as good as this one for the Rover!

Rob

Quick Reply: Passed on the GX- Thanks For All Your Advice - Good Luck To All