GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

3M Clear Bra Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 05:34 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 3M Clear Bra Protection

Did anyone else have this put on their GX? I had it put on and had to take it back once because there was a chip underneath the film that the dealer forgot to fix prior to applying the film the first time. So I had to take the car back so they could fix it.

So, the weather around here has been nice so i went to wash her last night and found the film pealing off around the bumper. I only noticed it because there was dirt underneath it and it obviously stuck to the tacky side of the film and it looks like *****.

So now I am taking her back a third time for the same crap and am about ready to go through the fricking roof...

CV
Old 04-05-06, 09:13 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had it on since it was new and have not had any problems. There is one spot on the side mirror that was hit with a rock and pealed off a small chunk of the film but no damage from the rock - it did exactly what it was supposed to. When I get tired of looking at it I will have that piece replaced. My wife's BMW also has the film and no issues.
The Clearshield protector on the lights has some dirt under one of the sides of the fog light but you cannot see it unless you are looking at it from about a foot away.
Old 04-05-06, 09:33 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I have had it on since it was new and have not had any problems. There is one spot on the side mirror that was hit with a rock and pealed off a small chunk of the film but no damage from the rock - it did exactly what it was supposed to. When I get tired of looking at it I will have that piece replaced. My wife's BMW also has the film and no issues.
The Clearshield protector on the lights has some dirt under one of the sides of the fog light but you cannot see it unless you are looking at it from about a foot away.
I don't think that it helps that mine is Blizzard Pearl either. Thanks for the response. We'll see if they can get it on correctly this time.
CV
Old 04-05-06, 10:05 AM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the clear bra installed for appx 4,000 miles of interstate driving and am very pleased with it. I drove 800 miles round trip to Florida panhandle and washed away a lot of bug guts. The front end looks showroom clean. I did a lot of research first and came to the conclusion the the key to success is the quality of installation.

Good Luck,
Rick
Old 04-05-06, 10:40 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I don't think that it helps that mine is Blizzard Pearl either. Thanks for the response. We'll see if they can get it on correctly this time.
CV
One thing I don't like with the clear film and Blizzard Pearl is in the summer there are certain bugs that stain the film when you hit them, I have about 5 yellow/orange stains in mine that don't come out. My wife's BMW is Saphire Black so you don't see the stains on it but the little places where it has protected her hood from rocks do show up better. It really is a traid-off. Also, the line where the film stops collects dirt and needs to be cleaned out often, on a dark paint color you don't see it.
Old 04-05-06, 11:31 AM
rklages
Pole Position

I have had it since new and it has not been an issue - it's been about 5000 miles now and in the northeast covered in snow ice salt etc etc -been through the auto car wash about 5 times and washed it by hand about 5 times and it is still perfect. It sounds like they are not properly installing it - it is basically like window film, put on with soap and water which activates the adhesive etc, but if you don't perfectly clean prep degrease and dewax the paint, it won't stick and end up like you have seen - I think they are just doing shotty work putting it on.
Old 04-05-06, 08:33 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Me five... Blizzard Pearl purchase in 05' March applied on 05' April but using Armor Glove instead of 3M...

Same issues that have been mentioned about, slight orange from bugs splattering and film edge dirty... But I just LOVE to HAND wash my baby and she looks good as new... Already protected the body from a few rock chips...

I would definately recommend!

-Alex
Old 04-06-06, 05:14 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
But I just LOVE to HAND wash my baby and she looks good as new... Already protected the body from a few rock chips...
-Alex
Exactly!! A good Zaino wash and a coat of Z8, then sit back, put on some Maui Jims - the shine is incredible!
Old 04-06-06, 03:13 PM
Prayn4sno
Driver School Candidate

Not to hijack this forum but I am going to order an 07 blizzard pearl, tan interior full loaded KDSS in a couple of weeks, any comments about the paint quality? Likes/dislikes and is the clear protection worth it? Any and all comments welcome about the white.
Old 04-06-06, 04:05 PM
rklages
Pole Position

you might want to shop the paint protection - I like it but lexus gets 3 prices for it and anyone can get the stuff - lots of places deal the 3m stuff. Lexus charged about 650 for what I got, got them down to 400. It came from www.protectivesolution.com and I think the kit is about $200 and about an hour to put it on.
Old 04-07-06, 05:17 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Prayn4sno
Not to hijack this forum but I am going to order an 07 blizzard pearl, tan interior full loaded KDSS in a couple of weeks, any comments about the paint quality? Likes/dislikes and is the clear protection worth it? Any and all comments welcome about the white.
I have had no problems with the Lexus paint, very good. With Blizzard Pearl it is hard to see little rock chips that missed the clear bra, you have to look at the right angle to find them. I would recommend a clear bra, just get a good installer. You will love the GX!
Old 04-10-06, 09:12 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I have had no problems with the Lexus paint, very good. With Blizzard Pearl it is hard to see little rock chips that missed the clear bra, you have to look at the right angle to find them. I would recommend a clear bra, just get a good installer. You will love the GX!
See, now I disagree with you on this one. It seems to me that the chips that missed the bra are MORE evident on the white because of the color of the metal surface beneath. I love the blizzard pearl but i knew that chips would stick out like a sore thumb.
CV
Old 04-10-06, 09:13 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

The new film seems to be working out great. All securely adhered!
CV

Old 04-10-06, 11:47 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

The few little chips I have on the hood seem to be on an angle so that they don't go all the way to the metal. It is like it is in the clearcoat so they are hard to see. You have to be looking at the right angle to see them. There is one good one on the hood which you can see if you look in the right place. I also have one good hit on the side of the front bumper that missed the film - really an eyesore! But overall, I have been happy. My wife's BMW 's paint seems to be about the same quality, but being black every little nick shows up.