GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Brakes on GX470

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 09:46 AM
darrellk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes on GX470

I had to make an emergency stop yesterday and I noticed that the brakes did not "chatter" like they did on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is my understanding that the "chatter" or modulation is to help prevent the brakes from locking up. Is the Lexus different ie. they do not "chatter" during an emergency stop?
BTW, my emergency stop was only partly sucessful. My new ( with 3000 miles ) GX470 now has a smashed bumper, damaged right fender, one other panel chewed up, right fog light assembly destroyed, right headlight assembly busted to hell and the window washer does not work. It's not a nice sight to see a grown man cry. A woman had no operating lights thus no turn lights and this was on a highway doing 60 mph when she decided to stop or turn, I don't know which. I almost cleared by her but Idid not want to whip the steering wheel around.
Turns out her boyfriend was dead drunk ( 1pm ) in the passenger seat and she was taking him to the hospital. There is a lot more to the story, but I won't bore you folks with it. Suffice to say we did not get a ticket, but she did.
Regards
Darrell
Old 04-05-06, 10:21 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your GX, but it sounds like you are ok. It could have been much worse! Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, I have never had to use the breaks that hard. On my old car as well as my wife's BMW the anti-lock breaks pulse when they activate, I would assume the GX would be the same.
Old 04-05-06, 10:51 AM
darrellk
Rookie

Thanks for your response. Maybe I just didn't push hard enough. Anyway we were not hurt nor was anyone else. I was nearly stopped when I hit her. Lots of plastic in the front of the Lexus!!
Regards
Darrell
Old 04-05-06, 10:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GX has emergency brake assist, so when you floor the brakes, the system will apply maximum pressure. Maybe you just never got to the point where the GX was going to skid. I know that the new generation of ABS does not pulse as much as the old ones, but there should still be a slight pulse.
Anyway, I am glad you are ok, sorry to hear about the damage to your GX. If she has no brake lights, then she would be at fault I would think.

Good luck
Old 04-05-06, 11:33 AM
rklages
Pole Position

They just work alot better than they do on a Jeep - most of the new generation ABS systems pulse less and make a lot less noise - the domestics haven't figured it out yet - I had an 04 tahoe and it made horrible noises and the pedal moved all over the place - it was just aweful!
Old 04-05-06, 11:53 AM
darrellk
Rookie

Thanks, guys for your comments. She not only didn't have turn lights, so didn't have any lights. We love this new car. We had Jeeps for 15 years, trading every three years.
Darrell
Old 04-06-06, 09:57 AM
lexbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

Darrel be careful there are a lot of crazy drivers on the road.... sadly I am prone to getting very angry behind the wheel lately as people think that the only endpoint to an accident is a lawsuit and forget that they might loose their life in the process.. that being said, brakes pulsate depending on the situation. I had my share of half-skids. GX does brake very well though MOST of the time, though in snow and wet conditions not so great. Definetly better then the smaller RX.. I recently drove an RX400h (very weird vehicle with all that engine on/off) and the braking is horrible compared to 06 GX... my 03 GX did brake worse then the 06 however so they are improving...

Thanks
Old 04-06-06, 10:57 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Braking is also closely tied to tires. If your tires are new w/ good traction, the vehicle will brake the best. If brand A has better traction than brand B, then your vehicle will brake better using brand A. I bet if you use good snow tires like Bridgestone blizzaks, braking on snow will be much better than with stock tires (the vehicle will only apply as much pressure to the brakes as to prevent skidding/loss of traction, so naturally, the better the tire traction, the better stopping ability, regardless if you're driving on snow or dry pavement).