GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

moonroof weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 10:10 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moonroof weatherstrip

anyone have any problems with the weatherstrip thing around the moonroof? mine's starting to come off, and took it 2 the dealer today, and was told that the whole glass needs to be replaced! anyone else have the same or had the same problem?????

one more problem experience on this GX owner
Old 04-18-06, 10:21 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, have not had that problem. Although I have had the moonroof fixed about 4 times for squeaking. Each time it works for a while then starts up again.
Old 04-19-06, 03:57 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Nope, have not had that problem. Although I have had the moonroof fixed about 4 times for squeaking. Each time it works for a while then starts up again.
squeaking, or rattling?? i have the same problem too!

i even noticed that maybe my moonroof doesn't close properly. you can see the paint kinda showing and there's a little wind noise coming out of it. when i push the "open" real quick (so i don't activate the auto open) it will close tightly shut. then that's when the rattle comes out. damn. it's true that my car is a guinea pig. oh well!
Old 04-20-06, 05:20 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx900
squeaking, or rattling?? i have the same problem too!
Actually both. I rarely use it but when it starts squeaking if I hold the black plastic side parts and push them up it seems to stop. It also sometimes goes away if I open the roof all the way and close it again. I always leave the sun shade open which may be why I hear the noise, when it is closed I don't hear it. When it was new, the first time I opened it the noise was horrible, very loud screeching noise each time it was opened. The dealer said they had to lube and adjust it. I think they could have designed it better, it seems very touchy!
Old 04-20-06, 08:02 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Actually both. I rarely use it but when it starts squeaking if I hold the black plastic side parts and push them up it seems to stop. It also sometimes goes away if I open the roof all the way and close it again. I always leave the sun shade open which may be why I hear the noise, when it is closed I don't hear it. When it was new, the first time I opened it the noise was horrible, very loud screeching noise each time it was opened. The dealer said they had to lube and adjust it. I think they could have designed it better, it seems very touchy!
not to insult you or anything, but since you have an 04, i would have presumed that yours wouldn't have the same rattling and squeaking of the moonroof unlike mine where we were all guinea pigs when i got mine.

i think my final conclusion to all these problems (that i thought would only occur to 03 units, but seems to be occuring to the 06s units too) is a totally new design of the vehicle, top to bottom (especially bottom). i think the clunk and all the other problems we have aren't going to go away unless there's a new design of the driveshaft, and whatever is down there. It's probably just a minor design flaw. Once it's been totally redesigned, HOPEFULLY these design flaws would go away. I'm just curious to see the 2nd gen GX. I'm guessing around mid-late 07 as an 08.