GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID - buy the REAL THING ie Philips... or waste your money

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 10:02 PM
lexbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID - buy the REAL THING ie Philips... or waste your money

Hello,

Well, this issue has been addressed here before it seems as I have persued through the multiple HID posts before... now I will add to the unbelievers from personal experience as I have both LOW and FOG Hids.... well, some time ago I decided to dable with a rel. cheap HID kit from China - the verdict on that is DO NOT GET IT .... one of the ballasts blew within ONE MONTH hmmm fine... I finally scraped the money together and bought a kit from Steve at Xenon Depot... Slimline G4s with Philips bulbs... ahhh... works great... well, I searched here and there bough a pair for XD Philips (large 135 ballasts ) off a guy ... ahhh work great.. however I used a pair of NOT SO Philips 4300k h3 bulbs.... WELL.... 2-3 months one of the bulbs burn out hmm...

what is the lesson in all of this: Buy it from Steve or buy it elsewhere (there is a worthwhile seller on ebay who sells same product ) .... but BUY THE ORIGINAL PHILIPS components!!!
I promise you that in the end you will loose MORE MONEY attempting to FIX the issue then saving by buying CHEAP componenets... I was not a believer since I do like to save a buck or two when it comes to seemingly now the omnipresent HIDs... but a ballast is NOT just a ballast and a bulb is NOT just a bulb.... sorry I won't even buy a JAPANESE made bulb/ballast at this time until I see some strong LONG time reviews.....

Thanks
Old 04-19-06, 06:03 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agree 100%. Why would someone spend $50K on the truck and then (m)

buy cheap and poorly performing lights? After researching the issue here I never considered anything but Xenondepot. I want OEM quality and no hassles and I ESPECIALLY don't want to find myself w/o lights at 11pm on a dark, lonely road.

The XD kit was $400--not too bad at all, considering the quality and customer service.