GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is this a good deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 05:34 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now, now, guys-- Lets not get ourselves all twisted in a knot- The guy asked a (m)

simple question--no need to immediately jump all over him. A quick rush to pious judgment helps nobody. And, I admit to being curious as to the issue. Didn't think it was even possible.

While I can somewhat understand the loyalty some here seem to have to the recording industry, recall that many of the "copying" issues came up because of abuses on the supply side- blatant overcharging, poor service and other BS, etc. In this vein, I am not ashamed to say that $400 for an "update" disc is patently outrageous and stinks of gouging. Reminds me of the "We are sticking to you simply because we can" variety. Price things reasonably, give people a fair deal and piracy will likely decline substantially.
Old 04-25-06, 06:10 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JWS3
simple question--no need to immediately jump all over him. A quick rush to pious judgment helps nobody. And, I admit to being curious as to the issue. Didn't think it was even possible.

While I can somewhat understand the loyalty some here seem to have to the recording industry, recall that many of the "copying" issues came up because of abuses on the supply side- blatant overcharging, poor service and other BS, etc. In this vein, I am not ashamed to say that $400 for an "update" disc is patently outrageous and stinks of gouging. Reminds me of the "We are sticking to you simply because we can" variety. Price things reasonably, give people a fair deal and piracy will likely decline substantially.
The guy didn't simply place a comment out there as you are eluding rather he posted numerous comments about how he thought he was in the right to get stuff for free. My post is simply a "wake up" call for these guys that don't realize that this is in fact a public forum and that companies can sue you and use the information gleened from these forums to pursue you in court. This is happening daily now rather than once in a blue moon. My point is that he is wrong and he is placing himself in jeopary by posting his (twisted) views on these public forums. I realize that getting people to "understand" that they are wrong can be difficult. My point is simply trying to point out the obvious to someone who apparently "doesn't get it".

PS - The cost is relative. $400 for a updated database it not unreasonable. The price is the price. If you don't like it, then don't pay the fee and simply live with it. Some people think that $200 would be gouging and think that they should get it for free (as this guy does). I guess Lexus "could" offer an annual subscription fee for software usage (ala Microsoft) but of course, that would be significantly more expensive in the long run. Thank GOD they don't do that!

PPS - If NOBODY buys the upgade, the option will go away. Vote with your wallet (by not buying the upgrade) and maybe the price will be reduced to incent the standouts to purchase in the future.

Last edited by bunka; 04-25-06 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-25-06, 09:42 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
EyeKutr - You DO realize that Lexus monitor's these sites and that what you are suggesting IS ILLEGAL (no matter how you try to justify it in your own tiny mind). The world is full of idiots who do not realize that by posting crap like this on the internet, they are also posting their intentions for public consumption. Thus also means that you have essentially given ANYBODY the right to print this and bring it up in any court of law in the future to use as evidence they can use against you (for nearly ANY purpose)... Things such as... See how much dis-regard Eye-Kutr has for the law, he even promotes theft in public as HIS RIGHT and this simply goes to show that he has COMPLETE dis-regard for law and therefore should be prosecuted to the fullest extent....

In other words, your simply request was a fool-hardy act and IGNORANT to the EXTREME. Don't expect ANYONE intelligent to support your foolish concepts...And I can say that I do not own ANY MP3's I haven't paid for (as I own no MP3's at all).
First, I dont appreciate being called an idiot, 2nd, I think your comments are extreme and ignorant and dont consider others views. However, I see your point, and it is well taken, however I feel the price is too much, especially for the simple fact, I live near many new streets and I simply wont get exactly what i need till all these streets are completed, and in the meanwhile will use an outdated dvd, not a big deal, Thanks for all your comments, the constructive ones that is. I feel like this thread is going to garbage with unnecessary name callling and such, and is becoming a waste of bandwidth.
Old 04-26-06, 06:49 AM
r210
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
First, I dont appreciate being called an idiot, 2nd, I think your comments are extreme and ignorant and dont consider others views. However, I see your point, and it is well taken, however I feel the price is too much, especially for the simple fact, I live near many new streets and I simply wont get exactly what i need till all these streets are completed, and in the meanwhile will use an outdated dvd, not a big deal, Thanks for all your comments, the constructive ones that is. I feel like this thread is going to garbage with unnecessary name callling and such, and is becoming a waste of bandwidth.
Bunka has some excellent arguements; I’m in agreement with you on this point; name calling is not productive. And I also understand and support your decision about the price; if the value is not there then don’t buy it as Bunka also said "vote with your wallet" I do. However, it does not justify acquiring it illegally which was my point. Maybe I was misunderstood in my earlier post but I loath the DRM technologies used in iTunes and other media outlets. Since I have an old Archos jukebox and now an almost modern iPod (another point to make) I’m stuck with an unusable Archos device since I can’t put my legally purchased iTunes media on my older jukebox. So, I don’t buy from iTunes; it's back to CDs.

Now to beat the dead horse once more, since the iPod video came out 33 days after I purchased my iPod some would argue that I should be “upgraded” to the new version. Technology is improving (or and least changing) all the time and I accept that. My now generation -1 iPod still does everything it did when I purchased it so I’m not hung-up on the fact that a newer version replaced it.

It appears to me that a majority of people very easily morally justify acquiring digital media. If you applied the same justification to other (more tangible) purchases you’d see the inconsistency in the judgment. This only complicates things because now companies try to invent new ways of dealing with the theft further limiting fair use (in this example).
Old 04-26-06, 07:06 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default You raise good points. But, it seems to me that many of the problems (m)

Originally Posted by r210
Bunka has some excellent arguements; I’m in agreement with you on this point; name calling is not productive. And I also understand and support your decision about the price; if the value is not there then don’t buy it as Bunka also said "vote with your wallet" I do. However, it does not justify acquiring it illegally which was my point. Maybe I was misunderstood in my earlier post but I loath the DRM technologies used in iTunes and other media outlets. Since I have an old Archos jukebox and now an almost modern iPod (another point to make) I’m stuck with an unusable Archos device since I can’t put my legally purchased iTunes media on my older jukebox. So, I don’t buy from iTunes; it's back to CDs.

Now to beat the dead horse once more, since the iPod video came out 33 days after I purchased my iPod some would argue that I should be “upgraded” to the new version. Technology is improving (or and least changing) all the time and I accept that. My now generation -1 iPod still does everything it did when I purchased it so I’m not hung-up on the fact that a newer version replaced it.

It appears to me that a majority of people very easily morally justify acquiring digital media. If you applied the same justification to other (more tangible) purchases you’d see the inconsistency in the judgment. This only complicates things because now companies try to invent new ways of dealing with the theft further limiting fair use (in this example).
unique to digital media are caused by consumer frustration at constantly having to re-buy the same products when simple updates would do. Example- One has a VCR tape of Star Wars, but now things are on DVD. Can he upgrade? Noooo... its a whole new purchase! Contrast this with Valentine One, which has a constant update policy and encourages one to upgrade even the oldest units. Its no coincidence that Valentine has a very loyal customer base.
Also, many here don't see the value in the prices charged--$400 for ONE friggin update disc? Seems wayyy too high and smacks of thinking along the lines of "we are shafting you simply because we have you by the b*lls".
While we could, theoretically, "vote with our wallets", that presumes such would make a difference. Thus far it hasn't, making "piracy" more attractive to some as they attempt to justify it as a way around abusive pricing.
Old 04-26-06, 12:05 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JWS3
unique to digital media are caused by consumer frustration at constantly having to re-buy the same products when simple updates would do. Example- One has a VCR tape of Star Wars, but now things are on DVD. Can he upgrade? Noooo... its a whole new purchase! Contrast this with Valentine One, which has a constant update policy and encourages one to upgrade even the oldest units. Its no coincidence that Valentine has a very loyal customer base.
Also, many here don't see the value in the prices charged--$400 for ONE friggin update disc? Seems wayyy too high and smacks of thinking along the lines of "we are shafting you simply because we have you by the b*lls".
While we could, theoretically, "vote with our wallets", that presumes such would make a difference. Thus far it hasn't, making "piracy" more attractive to some as they attempt to justify it as a way around abusive pricing.
I agree with you, I will vote with my wallet, it is unfair that the upgrade is so costly and I am certain it wont have some of the newer streets that are being paved as we speak, so I will hold off till next dvd. Lexus is a great vehicle, but because you can afford a lexus, it is unfair they haft you for everything, my nearest Lexus charges $79 for an oil change and $119 or 139 for a 5K service....I belevive the 5K adds the tire rotation....is that fair ?(no it is not synthetic). Thats fine though, some of you have enough to burn that it makes no difference, some of you dont. I much rather take a 3 day Mexico cruise from Long Beach for $350 a person than spend $400 on a DVD upgrade, thats all I am saying.
Old 04-26-06, 03:16 PM
loflin
Pole Position

JWS3, I agree with your post, except for the VHS upgrade to DVD versus Valentine1 example.

Val1 is an high performance and high price ($400) for it's "category". I'd guess 95% of detectors sold are under $200 and none of those are "upgradeable".

Then on VHS movies vs DVD, in inflation adjusted $, the average price for a DVD is less than half of what VHS movies were at their time, and you get much higher quality (resolution) usability and bonus features. So you could look at it this way, you can upgrade your VHS movies for less than 50% of your original cost, but you don't even have to own the VHS to upgrade (also the Valentine upgrades aren't free either!)
Old 04-26-06, 07:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Folks I'm going to close this thread as I think it has gone full circle.

I would remind anyone who decides to request pirated copies of software in the future that this topic is very clearly covered in our forum rules.

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2160/1/126/

Prohibited Topics
The following topics and links are prohibited on Club Lexus:

Links or discussions regarding software piracy including duplication of Lexus Navigation DVDs or other Lexus software

These threads may be removed, locked or deleted without notification to the member.
If you decide to purchase a upgraded navigation DVD, consider one of our sponsors Sewell Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com) who offer it at a reduced price compared to most dealers, plus an additional 10% off for ClubLexus members.