GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 01:33 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer called this afternoon to say the GX was fixed and ready. They replaced the driveshaft and rear upper and lower control arms per the TSB.

Looks like it only takes overnight to get the parts now (Chicago Area).

Hope that helps.
Old 12-29-06, 07:44 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steevr

Dealer called this afternoon to say the GX was fixed and ready. They replaced the driveshaft and rear upper and lower control arms per the TSB.

Looks like it only takes overnight to get the parts now (Chicago Area).

Hope that helps.
I took my truck in yesterday and complained that I still had the clunk. They did a TSB about two years ago. At that time, the cluck was a lot louder and occurred more often.

Today, I picked up the truck, so far no clunk. They replaced the drive-shaft and upper and lower control-arms.

~ Cap
Old 01-03-07, 10:04 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Capirato
I took my truck in yesterday and complained that I still had the clunk. They did a TSB about two years ago. At that time, the cluck was a lot louder and occurred more often.

Today, I picked up the truck, so far no clunk. They replaced the drive-shaft and upper and lower control-arms.

~ Cap
Got my clunk fix during my 10,000 mile service visit. Clunk is gone. Ride is a bit tighter/bumpier. I understand that that will level out over time. I am happy with the fix. Parts must be in better supply because I had been waiting for about 3 months.
Old 01-04-07, 10:17 AM
GatorGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
Got my clunk fix during my 10,000 mile service visit. Clunk is gone. Ride is a bit tighter/bumpier. I understand that that will level out over time. I am happy with the fix. Parts must be in better supply because I had been waiting for about 3 months.
Hi Dr.EinTN, Can you let us know the manufacture date of your 2006 GX? We purchased a new 2006 GX over the holidays and I am wondering whether I should expect the Clunk problem to develop in the future. Ours was manufactured in early June '06. Prior responses in this thread stated that the problem was fixed in 2006 production around April 2006. Thanks.
Old 01-04-07, 01:19 PM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by sma
Hi Dr.EinTN, Can you let us know the manufacture date of your 2006 GX?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=168
Old 01-04-07, 03:20 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sma
Hi Dr.EinTN, Can you let us know the manufacture date of your 2006 GX? We purchased a new 2006 GX over the holidays and I am wondering whether I should expect the Clunk problem to develop in the future. Ours was manufactured in early June '06. Prior responses in this thread stated that the problem was fixed in 2006 production around April 2006. Thanks.
No problem. My manufacture date was 02/06. I hope you enjoy your GX as much as I do. The clunk fix was just adding to a near perfect driving vehicle and now I have to say it's perfect. Enjoy and welcome to the forum!!
Old 01-08-07, 04:33 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Everyone, I'm new here. I bought a new 2006 GX the end of Aug. I had to wait for it to get off the boat. I have the "clunk". I ordered the parts back in Oct. and they came in late Dec. I was scheduled to have the work done Feb 8th but my truck was stolen in the mean time. I was able to get the truck back with little damage (just a bumper smashed in) but they got my keys. My dealer who is a state away Cherry Hill Lexus (NJ) came and got the truck the next day to get it out of Phila. so the person who took this truck couldn't come back and steal it again (keys and driver where gone by the time the police got there). Lexus link is how I got the truck back so fast. While there they did the 5000 mile check up even though I was at 4100 miles and at the same time they did my TSB. I'm waiting to get the truck back this week. They also changed and re coded my keys which was 1800.00 This dealership when above and beyond to help me with this problem. So far I'm thrilled with Lexus. I owned 2 Escalades prior to this and the service wasn't this good. I'll let you know how it goes when I pick the truck up.
Old 01-08-07, 05:30 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome Jasp!

Thanks for the story! Great that you got the GX back in decent shape and can get going so soon. Your dealer did go above and beyond.

Is your insurance company covering the $1800? It would seem to be in their interest. Please do give us an update when you get your truck back.
Old 01-08-07, 06:32 PM
uclahenry
Driver School Candidate

Need your advice...purchased a used 2004 GX with 34,000 miles on it and I noticed the clunk problem immediately. Today I called South Bay Lexus to schedule an appointment for the TSB and I had them research the vehicle history. The service adviser told me the clunk fix was already applied in May 2006?!? He mentioned that the TSB fix only improves the clunk, but does not stop it...is this true? The clunk is quite noticeable to me and even to the passengers... Please advise....
Old 01-08-07, 08:15 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uclahenry
Need your advice...purchased a used 2004 GX with 34,000 miles on it and I noticed the clunk problem immediately. Today I called South Bay Lexus to schedule an appointment for the TSB and I had them research the vehicle history. The service adviser told me the clunk fix was already applied in May 2006?!? He mentioned that the TSB fix only improves the clunk, but does not stop it...is this true? The clunk is quite noticeable to me and even to the passengers... Please advise....
I just had the fix done and the 500 miles or so since then have been great with absolutely no clunk. I have been told that the clunk may return because of the nature of the fix itself but the way I understand it, once it has been fixed it is gone for a long time. If it comes back, I would just have them redo the fix. Lexus is great about customer service and hopefully you won't have to go to a different dealer to do this. Good luck!
Old 01-09-07, 01:29 AM
JASP615
Driver

Hi Silverlady,

I had to fight with allstate. They were not going to cover re coding the key they were just going to cut me a new key to replace the one that was stolen. I couldn't believe this. I told the inside claim adjuster that this would be fine but in the event that something happened to me due to them not paying to have my security put back to the way it was prior to having this truck stolen that I'm sure they would have a much bigger problem. Not to mention that this truck is only 4 month old and there wasn't a mark on it I'm sure when it was taken again (and I was sure it would be since they still have a key) they wouldn't be so lucky. She didn't seem to care, but the outside adjuster told me he was appalled at the way they were handling this and he would OK the re coding. He told me the truck was spotless and they got off easy. The bumper is going to cost around 800.00 dollars to replace.

One thing I have noticed Onstar moves much faster then Lexus link. I guess they don't have all the wrinkles ironed out. But if it wasn't for Lexus link it would have taken much longer to locate the truck so I'm thankful.
Old 01-09-07, 05:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Ask the dealer for the service invoice. Did they change just the drive shaft or the drive shaft and the rear control arms. Many owners who had just the drive shaft change had the clunk come back. Go to your dealer and ask them if they had actually applied this particular TSB number to your truck, DL001-06, or some other tsb number.
Old 01-09-07, 11:45 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Take a look at G-man's advice and let us know. The TSB came out around April 05, so if it was applied fully you were one of the first.

I would be particularly curious as to how much milage was on the truck if it does turn out to be the real TSB. So far everybody here has been really happy with the fix (I keep waiting for the clunk that doesn't come anymore), but if your truck was an early adopter it might have a lot of miles with the fix.

Let's hope you didn't get the full fix and all can be made well!
Old 01-09-07, 07:23 PM
StinkyPete
Driver School Candidate

Default That Blasted Clunk

Hey folks!

My wife and I bought a Certified 2004 GX in Sept 2006 and we LOVE it!!

We had noticed the "clunk", but it didn 't seem too bad so we decided to ignore it.

That is until my mom was riding with us and at the first stop sign, the "clunk" happened and she asked about it. Since then several passengers have asked us about it and wondered why we weren't going to persue a fix.

So, here we are in Jan of 2007 and we visited our local dealer for some unrelated service. I asked about the "clunk" issue and the service rep said that they were due to receive the parts within the next three weeks. He wrote-up a service request for our vehicle and said that they would call us when the parts had arrived.

By the time we got home, I had received an e-mail from the parts department confirming the special order.

I will post updates as I get them.
Old 01-09-07, 08:55 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Henry.....

About ten days ago, South Bay Lexus replaced the drive shaft and upper and lower control arms on my '04 GX. Clunk is completely gone.

A TSB had been done before, about two years ago. However, they re-did-it and this time they replaced the control arms.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 01-09-07 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB