GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 02:52 PM
Josh's GX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vpalacio~
Sorry it's taken me this long to get back to you. I checked my paperwork, but it didn't list whether it was covered under the standard or drivetrain warranty. So I called my dealership and was told that the 2006 GX was covered under the standard bumper to bumper warranty not the drivetrain.
Old 05-05-07, 07:02 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Had mine fixed today at Lexus Of Glendale. Superb service from Raymond and Shawn (service director).
Parts were in stock. Also fixed the transfer case o-ring issue stated in service bulletin TSBTC007-06.
Total bill: $2042.73-covered under warranty.
Driveshaft covered under powertrain warranty.
Control arms covered under standard warranty.
Some dealers will not replace the control arms if you are over 50k miles. Others will goodwill it.
Old 05-05-07, 10:48 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chexation
Yes. The newest TSB covers the DRIVESHAFT until 70,000 miles and the CONTROL ARMS until 50,000 miles. But, my whole CLUNK was fixed for nothing by making a little noise. I had over 60,000 miles on my car.

The newest TSB is dated April 19, 2006. The revision # is DL001-06.
Can you guys reference where to find the TSB list we on the forum have referred to in the past please?
Old 05-09-07, 05:45 AM
vpalacio
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Josh - thanks!! I just hit 49k on my '03 GX and am wondering if the dealer will make the repairs without charging me

If it takes three weeks to get the parts I may go over the 50k mark.

Calling the dealer now, wish me luck!!
Old 05-09-07, 01:33 PM
SirSkrip
Rookie

I have an 03 GX /49K miles that I just took in for the clunk fix. I was SHOCKED to find out that they will cover it under warranty. For some reason my 03 was sold in that year, instead of 2002 when the 03s are out. I had about 10 days left on my 50,000 / 4 yr warranty. Can you believe that???!!!

I am very lucky, I hear its about $1700 to do.

I will let you guys know how it feels and rides once I get it back. The only thing that sucks is that when I took it in, they said they had the parts. Then they said they would have them the next day (friday). Now tuesday they say in 2 days. Im a little upset but still worth the wait.
Old 05-11-07, 10:18 AM
SirSkrip
Rookie

Default update

Well, bad news/good news for me. Apparently, the parts were not in after they kept my GX for a week as they thought, it will be another 2 weeks. I told them when I took it (thanks to this board) that 3 weeks is what it would take. But they insisted it'd be there in a day or two. They also had several GX's waiting as well, so Im thinking they're getting them done 1st.

The good news is i also went in for a small oil leak and they replaced the box that it leaked from for free. I forget what part it is, but when I pick it up, I'll let you guys know.
Old 05-11-07, 10:58 AM
Josh's GX
Rookie

SirSkrip~ did you get a loaner car for the whole time your dealership had your GX sit on their lot? If so that would be really nice. When I took my GX in for the TSB, they called me when they had the parts and then we set up an appointment for me to drop it off. My dealership told me they would have my GX done that day and I could probably come by and pick it up. They gave me the RX loaner for the day and I told them I wouldn't be able to make it into the dealership the day it was completed. They told me that would be fine, but I would need to bring it back the next morning around 8am because there were others who needed the loaner. Although, my dealership is quite small and I bet they only have 2-3 loaners.
Old 05-11-07, 04:57 PM
tyoung88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad news is that I dropped off my GX yesterday, 05/09 and after half the day had gone by the dealer calls to tell me they need parts. Good news is that ETA is tomorrow or monday and I have a loaner RX. Will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 05-11-07, 07:52 PM
echrist0
Driver School Candidate

Can someone post a copy of the TSB for the clunk, please? I have tried the website posted earlier in this thread but could not locate the TSB on it.

We have a 2007 and now have a definite clunk when coming to a complete stop.
Old 05-12-07, 05:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The web site no longer works, Just give your dealer the TSB number and they can look it up on their computer.
Old 05-12-07, 08:07 AM
SirSkrip
Rookie

JoshGX, yes, they gave me a brand new RX for the week. It had only 7 miles on it. I return it with like 600... hahaha And same here, they will call me in a week or two when the parts come in. I think this works in their favor this time.

Do you guys notice they shaky vibration of the steering wheel often? is this common? Its not too bad, but enough that makes me think I need a wheel alignment...
Old 05-12-07, 10:28 AM
Josh's GX
Rookie

SirSkrip that is quite a bit of driving in a week or two! Good think you were able to get those extra 2-3mpg in the RX . As far as the vibration goes, I remember seeing a thread on this forum about the GX having a vibration problem when driving around 68mph or something like that. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they determined it to be caused by the GX getting strapped down on the boats when they ship them over. Some have tried to realign the tires, but it would just come back, and then finally I think some people just had Lexus replace the tires at no charge and it corrected the vibration. I could be wrong, so you may want to do a search.
Old 05-12-07, 05:25 PM
echrist0
Driver School Candidate

My wife took our 2007 GX470 in today for the first maintenaince visit. She asked about the clunk in the driveshaft. The SA said that it was normal but would drive it to be sure. Upon returning from driving it, he said that we would need a new drive shaft and control arms. They ordered the parts and will call when they are in. So, it looks like the 2007 are also having the clunk in the driveshaft.
Old 05-13-07, 08:05 PM
tyoung88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tyoung88
Bad news is that I dropped off my GX yesterday, 05/09 and after half the day had gone by the dealer calls to tell me they need parts. Good news is that ETA is tomorrow or monday and I have a loaner RX. Will let everyone know how it goes.
Picked up the GX last night and NO MORE CLUNK

The drivetrain in general seems overall smoother.
Old 05-16-07, 09:35 AM
SirSkrip
Rookie

The parts are in for the 'clunk' TSB and I have dropped it off this morning. It's supposed to be done later this afternoon. I will post my experience with the fix. I didnt really have a problem with the clunk bothering me, but heck I had 10 days left on my 50K warranty, so I figured its free, might as well.

Once again, I have a 2003 GX470 with 49K for those of you who wanna know...

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB