GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 05:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

This problem is so well known to the dealer, you dont even have to demostrate the problem to them. Just tell them it only happens sometime, not all the time, and they will take your word for it. If you really want to show them the problem, turn on your AC, adjust the air suspension up and down and do a few fast stops, the clunk will show up.
Old 09-10-07, 07:59 AM
vxphan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
This problem is so well known to the dealer, you dont even have to demostrate the problem to them. Just tell them it only happens sometime, not all the time, and they will take your word for it. If you really want to show them the problem, turn on your AC, adjust the air suspension up and down and do a few fast stops, the clunk will show up.
Thanks, I'll try again with another appointment with Magnussen Lexus of Fremont. I'll update you all
Old 09-13-07, 07:14 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine done yesterday.

Going to watch and see for a few days.

"Clunk" appears to be gone, which is nice.

I do notice when you let off the gas, the car immediately
responds and doesn't just keep gliding along smoothly.

Maybe it is something I will just get used to.

One time today I forgot and let off the gas going about
45mph and thought "oh my the emergency brake must be slightly on".
In reality it's a pretty minor hesitation if you will.

I don't miss the "clunk", but I also am not crazy about
the seemingly very slight "slow up" when you let off the gas pedal.
Old 09-14-07, 05:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thats the 1st time I have heard of drag cause by the TSB. It is a new drive shaft, maybe it take some time to wear in. If the problem doesnt go away, I would get it check at your next oil change.
Old 09-18-07, 07:53 PM
spirolli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine done 2 weeks ago. I think it made a huge difference. The clunk is completely gone. The release from a stopped position to forward motion is seemless..... unless you hit the gas. Glad I had it done.

I have noticed that the rear seems to ride slightly harder then it used to. I find myself switching the ride adjustment to the "soft" position to compensate. Not sure what that's about. I have it back to the dealer right now so they could look into that issue.

I am also having them take care of an annoying window rattle on the passenger side rear. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but the noise starts around 50mph. It's sounds like a light tapping on the passenger side rear window glass area. It drove me crazy and I don't even drive the truck full time, my wife does.

After taking it back twice with no success; and that's after the tech drove our truck and was actually able to reproduce the sound, I was able to find a TSB out there for the exact same symptoms. Here it is below:

NV006-06 WINDOW FRAME MOLDING RATTLE

10/23/2006 - 2003 – 2007 model year GX 470 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change / Effective VIN shown

Some customers may experience a rattling, ticking, or wind noise coming from the sides of the vehicle at higher speeds. The rear piece of the front door window frame moldings may have come loose causing the noise. Use the following procedure to correct this condition.

Apparently, the tech was able to reproduce the rattle again and was able to stop the rattle. I was informed it was the passenger side front window, even though it sounds like it's coming from the rear window.

Anyway, I'll update you on all on how it all turns out.

spirolli
Old 09-22-07, 10:14 AM
josta
Driver School Candidate

TSB done, no more clunk, no difference in gas mileage, no "drag". Happy owner here!
Old 09-22-07, 11:00 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I just got from Lexus HQ........

TSIB: Rear Driveshaft/Propeller Shaft Clunk/Thump Noise

TSIB #: DL002-07

Models: '03 -'07 GX 470

NOTE! NOTE! NOTE!
This repair is covered under the Lexus Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle in-service date.

Read this!
Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

You must tell them or they will not tell you or fix.

Sept 22, 2007 45,000 miles ......CLUNK IS BEING FIXED AS I TYPE!
Old 09-22-07, 11:03 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Plus the service writer at the only dealership in Las Vegas knew nothing about what I was talking about.......TSB? Just got a dumb polish salute from him.......Amazing.......just amazing............
Old 09-24-07, 11:03 AM
HoboGX
Driver School Candidate

Just got mine done 2 weeks ago. Driven 1k miles, no clunk, no issue. Dealer had the car for 1 day.
Old 09-27-07, 07:49 AM
Mayrun
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, is the new Drive Shaft Lexus is offering due to the TSB is a modified one or maybe it's just a new one with an old design?
Old 10-07-07, 05:14 PM
rysbrnr
Rookie

I don't know if this is a repost or not but for my dad's 05 GX we printed this TSB info and took it to your dealership incase they tried to play dumb with us.

http://www.faqlexus.com/attachments/...B_DL002-07.pdf
Old 10-07-07, 05:40 PM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Yes you have the MOST CURRENT TSB......

Yes the ANNOYING CLUNK IS NOW GONE....FOR THE TIME BEING.....

WE SHALL SEE ....OR SHOULD I SAY....WE WILL HEAR OR NOT HEAR!
Old 10-10-07, 10:29 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

I called My Lexus dealer tells me he's heard nothing about the Clunk , than I tell him his Lexus mechanic told me all about the problems and the service people are very much aware of the problem, the service guy says he'll have to look up up the TBS and see if there a problem and call me , 1 week passed and no call , nice Lexus Dealer , Appleton , Wi
Old 10-10-07, 04:51 PM
spirolli
Driver School Candidate

Again, since I've had the "clunk" repaired I have noticed how the rear of the truck is riding hard. There's definitely a problem.

I can substantiate that flipping the height adjustment switch first from N to Low (note: watch how long it takes to go from blinking green to solid green), then from Low to N and then N to Hi and then back to N, does certainly help the ride quality.

I have also noticed that when you initially switch to Low from the N position, the light goes from blinking green to solid green in only a few seconds. This leads me to believe that the gas shocks in the rear of the truck are pretty much empty in terms of air, which certainly would account for the harsh ride and why the senario above (refilling the shock with air, improves the ride)Watch how long it takes to fill the shocks with air when you go from N to H.

Once you've completely cycled through the L, N, H and back to N position for normal driving, you can confirm this theory by going back to L from the N position and timing how long it takes to go from the blinking green to a solid green. If it takes longer then it initially did the first time around, then you know the shock had less air then it should resulting in a harsh ride.

Now I have to try and prove it to the dealership.......

Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 10-11-07, 11:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I notice that too when I was playing with the rear height.

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB