GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 08:27 AM
Mars00
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I’m betting you just don’t have a secure connection. It should be slightly difficult to pull the hose off the zerk if you have a good connection.
i tried it again. still having grease come out the side. and this time, it was slightly hard pulling the gun off the zerk.

edit to add: bought new zerk. this time it worked like it should the old zerk is clogged for sure. while pumping grease, i didn't see my yolk move after about 7-9 pumps. so, i just stopped. the thump went away instantly. makes me wonder if it's not a grease issue but a spacing issue. maybe the yolk isn't able to compress as much, preventing binding aka the thump.

Last edited by Mars00; 05-06-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 07:08 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spport
That's great that you were able to catch it in time. No clunk after three years with the new part on mine. I also had my steering rack replaced with a new part # due to a leak on the original one. My water pump had a little leak also that I've heard about and that was a great one because the labour is big and made the 90,000 belt replacement essentially free. Run it through the carwash and feel for sunroof leak too. I had that replaced under warranty in first 30 days. You might consider taking it to a trusted mechanic independent of where you bought it to do an inspection. Could be well worth it. I love my GX.
I think you should be fine for a long time. I had mine 04 GX clunk fix done when it was around 15k back in 2005 . The rig now has about 233K on it and its still fine.
Cheers!
Old 08-20-18, 08:35 PM
Dasanii19
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this the correct propeller shaft part # still? 37110‐60A40 is there anything else I need to buy to fix the clunk?
Old 08-22-18, 01:47 PM
BattleBorn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New member and owner of an 07 with only 75k miles. I would just like to chime in on my experience so far regarding this issue. I bought the truck from a private party and I actually flew out of town to meet this guy in CA just to pick it up. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take it into a dealership for a pre-purchase inspection as they would've caught this clunk for sure. Anyways, after reading through this thread and learning about this TSB and common issue for the older style driveshaft I gave Lexus a call and explained my situation. Being 5 years and 5k miles out of warranty I was doubtful in getting any kind of assistance (still am), but what the heck I wanted to try anyways and luckily I spoke with a really nice rep over the phone. He acknowledge that it was an issue. He recommended to go to my local dealership and get the multi-point inspection so that it can get documented on my VIN history that it does in fact have the driveshaft clunk issue. I thought, okay he probably just wants me to put money into a dealership just for them to confirm what I know, which was fine with me as it also gives me a better chance to know what else might need fixing on my truck. Long and behold, the dealership came out with a laundry list of things recommended I needed to get done. All in all, over $6k in repairs (parts & labor) needed to get it up to speed, including replacing the rear driveshaft as they confirmed it was the cause of the clunk. I listened to my service provider as he explained going down the list, also stating the cost of each repair. Then at the end he asks me which ones would I like to give approval for so they can take care of it immediately. I smiled, asked how much the inspection would cost, paid and thanked him for giving me a sweet 2018 rx350L as a loaner since they took the truck overnight. Now I have a better idea and plan on what parts to buy and which repairs to do myself! As for the driveshaft, I will contact Lexus again and let them know that I performed their recommendation and play nice guy to hopefully come out with an agreement so I don't have to fork out the entire cost of the driveshaft repair, which came out to a little over $500 (parts & labor). I will post an update if I have one. Sorry for the long story.
Old 08-23-18, 05:36 PM
Dasanii19
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BattleBorn
New member and owner of an 07 with only 75k miles. I would just like to chime in on my experience so far regarding this issue. I bought the truck from a private party and I actually flew out of town to meet this guy in CA just to pick it up. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take it into a dealership for a pre-purchase inspection as they would've caught this clunk for sure. Anyways, after reading through this thread and learning about this TSB and common issue for the older style driveshaft I gave Lexus a call and explained my situation. Being 5 years and 5k miles out of warranty I was doubtful in getting any kind of assistance (still am), but what the heck I wanted to try anyways and luckily I spoke with a really nice rep over the phone. He acknowledge that it was an issue. He recommended to go to my local dealership and get the multi-point inspection so that it can get documented on my VIN history that it does in fact have the driveshaft clunk issue. I thought, okay he probably just wants me to put money into a dealership just for them to confirm what I know, which was fine with me as it also gives me a better chance to know what else might need fixing on my truck. Long and behold, the dealership came out with a laundry list of things recommended I needed to get done. All in all, over $6k in repairs (parts & labor) needed to get it up to speed, including replacing the rear driveshaft as they confirmed it was the cause of the clunk. I listened to my service provider as he explained going down the list, also stating the cost of each repair. Then at the end he asks me which ones would I like to give approval for so they can take care of it immediately. I smiled, asked how much the inspection would cost, paid and thanked him for giving me a sweet 2018 rx350L as a loaner since they took the truck overnight. Now I have a better idea and plan on what parts to buy and which repairs to do myself! As for the driveshaft, I will contact Lexus again and let them know that I performed their recommendation and play nice guy to hopefully come out with an agreement so I don't have to fork out the entire cost of the driveshaft repair, which came out to a little over $500 (parts & labor). I will post an update if I have one. Sorry for the long story.

i thought a read somewhere about a discount on the drive shaft making it only $250? Anyone know where to buy it at for $250?
Old 08-27-18, 10:42 AM
BattleBorn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dasanii19

i thought a read somewhere about a discount on the drive shaft making it only $250? Anyone know where to buy it at for $250?
Yeah it was a couple pages back I believe on this thread that someone was able to work out a deal with Lexus to partially cover the amount to install an updated driveshaft at the dealership.
On another note, I just re-greased all of my fittings for the front and rear with Red Line synthetic grease this past weekend. Took about 15-18 pumps for the slip joints, so they must have been dry for a while before I bought the truck. The clunk/thud did go away for a few miles, then came back although a little less aggressive this time, but can definitely be felt. I was hopeful this would fix it like others have done, but now I am looking to change out the rear shaft for sure to entirely get rid of this issue.
Old 02-11-19, 03:53 PM
supperfly1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad they dont have this tsib in Canada. Actually i dont think they have any TSIBs for the GX 470 in Canada
Old 06-02-20, 11:26 AM
wadeduncan
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear end clunk

Love my ‘04 GX470. But, I’ve had a rear end clunk for several years. Seemed worse in cold weather. About 2 months ago, my air bags finally went south. Had them replaced plus compressor. Hasn’t clunked since. Totally gone. Expensive, but now I have peace of mind.
Old 08-07-20, 12:56 PM
glenn2623
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been slowly working on greasing the slider yokes to eliminate the clunk. It's better but not eliminated. My method has been 3-4 hand pumps every 3-4 weeks. I suppose I'm around 15 hand pumps total. One post in my review of this thread suggested pumping grease in until the yoke shaft moves a little. I've not noted any movement to date. Will the driveshaft move with wheels on the ground? With a hand held grease gun is there a possibility of blowing seals with this method? Secondly, is this drive shaft clunk an annoyance issue or could the vehicle become disabled? I don't recall coming across the latter.
Old 11-28-20, 08:21 PM
vxphan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mars00
i tried it again. still having grease come out the side. and this time, it was slightly hard pulling the gun off the zerk.

edit to add: bought new zerk. this time it worked like it should the old zerk is clogged for sure. while pumping grease, i didn't see my yolk move after about 7-9 pumps. so, i just stopped. the thump went away instantly. makes me wonder if it's not a grease issue but a spacing issue. maybe the yolk isn't able to compress as much, preventing binding aka the thump.
Yes, I did the same, 10 pump on both, one in the front, and the other on the back and no more thump. I did not expect the thump completely gone. I usually get the thump like something drop whenever I come to stop.
Old 01-10-21, 02:25 PM
amora308
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased my 2008 GX (114K miles) in November and it was clunking intermittently after stop and start. It wasn’t very loud but was noticeable. Thanks to this forum I was able to fix it greasing the shafts. I was surprised how much I needed to pump in to get the yoke shafts to move. I stopped pumping about ten times after the shafts first moved even though it seemed like I could keep going. I used over 1/2 a standard size tube of synthetic grease. The noise never returned. ...Keeping my fingers crossed!

6May2021 update...Still no shaft noise. Cramming it full of grease was surely the fix.

Last edited by amora308; 05-06-21 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Update